Notices

The rice in me... vented hood... increase airflow --> FMIC efficiency? rice rice baby :-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 03:41 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The rice in me... vented hood... increase airflow --> FMIC efficiency? rice rice baby :-)

Would a hood such as this one from VIS:

or this one from Kaminari:

(sorry for stealing this pic... it's the only one I could find in a hurry)

help airflow through the engine bay better?

more specifically.... it seems if air entered my front bumper, flowed through my intercooler, and had an immediate exit through the hood, it would flow much more efficiently... thus increasing the efficiency of my FMIC.

So am I just a riceboy looking for an excuse to buy a CF hood, or does this make sense? TIA

-Erik

EDIT: Thinking about it, the bottom hood is probably going to do the exact opposite of what I want... airflow would then be flowing from the FMIC/bumper AND the hood and needing to exit under the car.... or so I think....

[Modified by Erik_Pb_Foot, 7:42 PM 1/30/2003]
Old 01-30-2003, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The rice in me... vented hood... increase airflow --> FMIC efficiency? rice rice baby :-) (E

I don't know how well it would help. But watch out for rain, hitting that hot manifold could do some damage. I wanted the vented carbon fiber hood, but thought twice about since i've heard of some people cracking things.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:49 PM

Default Re: The rice in me... vented hood... increase airflow --> FMIC efficiency? rice rice baby :-) (E

yeah I would like to know also if anyone have experiences with there manifold cracking on them with an vented hood.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:52 PM

I'm sure you could set up some sort of channel (with plastic or something) for the water to run off at the sides...

[Modified by I am Jack's VR6, 4:56 PM 1/30/2003]
Old 01-30-2003, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do a search man. I know there was a recent topic about the same thing.
The majority said they didnt have problems with water/etc...
peace
Old 01-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At very low speeds, yes it might help underhood temps a little. The problem is that when your moving, there is negative pressure under the car, which helps suck air through the radiator and IC. Pressure is highest at the nose of the car, but it is still a lot higher on the hood than under the car, so air is actually flowing down through the opening and down under the car rather than through the radiators. Hood scoops are good for intakes, if there is a way to plumb it, since the higher pressure will give you a little 'ram air' effect. A very low air dam would actually do a lot more to get air through you IC than the hood would.

-Chris
Old 01-30-2003, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I like the way the kaminari hood looks.

However I doubt it'll improve your I/C effiecency. If yu're wanting to vent you underhood temps better, just place some 1/2" shims under the rear brackets for mounting the hood. It'll vent to engine bay a bit, it's an old school trick. I adapted it to my CRX, seems to work just fine. Won't cost you even $5 to do this.......if you don't like the way it looks it's not permanent and easily reversed.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I like the way the kaminari hood looks.

However I doubt it'll improve your I/C effiecency. If yu're wanting to vent you underhood temps better, just place some 1/2" shims under the rear brackets for mounting the hood.
So you mean that the rear of the hood kind of sticks up, right?
Old 01-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the VIS. I think its much nicer as having the vent the other way is kinda a V8 thing IMO but whatever floats your boat I guess. The quality of the vis hood is A++ from all Ive seen. Very impressed with the weave
Old 01-30-2003, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Right, looks like this........it's nothing dramatic, though you could easily make it that way depending on what size shims you put in it. I just used 1 small nut at each place where the hood bolt to the hinges.

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 8:27 PM 1/30/2003]
Old 01-30-2003, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup.. that's the key reason I didn't go for one... I'm sure it'd be nice at low speeds to vent some hot air under the hood, but talk about a pita if it rains.. And if you look how low the vent sits, it sits it LOWER than the stock hood, which means clearance for the wastegate/etc. gets worse, not to mention there's NO room to run a duct say it does rain. Only way to "fix" it is to cover the hole when it rains = big pita IMO. If you're willing to go through the extra trouble then that's fine, but God forbid you don't block it up and let the rain pour on your headers/manifold..

-Mike
Old 01-30-2003, 08:47 PM
New User

the car i'm considering this hood for is garage kept, driven only on weekends when weather permits. clearance is one thing i did not think about... i'll have to look into that. thankfully, i have a local associate with the VIS hood that would let me borrow it to test clearance issues.

am i correct then, from what i've gathered, airflow through the intercooler will NOT be positively affected with any of these hoods? it seems as though a stock replacement cf hood would be the best route, for airflow, if changing hoods. correct?

-Erik
Old 01-30-2003, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I can do it, and I did, everyone can. Altho, at the track I always get stopped before my first run, and the guy tries to pull up my hood...
I'm gonna hit 500 posts tonight!