Notices

Rebuild motor for boost. Civic si

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild motor for boost. Civic si

Just bought a new Honda civic si and want to rebuild it for boost. Let me start off by saying I do not know much about cars, just started to read into them. I know I need to rebuild it for low compression. Not sure
Where to start or where to look for help. Any tips or insight will be gladly welcome.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rebuild motor for boost. Civic si

Pick a power goal first, what is the car used for? track? DD? Auto X?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:40 AM
can I haz?

type of motor and HP goals would be a good start
Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Trial User

I want to get to low 600 -630 max . I was in the marines and lost a close firend who wanted to get a civic si to 600- 630 whp. I do not know much , but I'll for fill his dream. I. What do u mean motor type?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dangmidnight
I want to get to low 600 -630 max . I was in the marines and lost a close firend who wanted to get a civic si to 600- 630 whp. I do not know much , but I'll for fill his dream. I. What do u mean motor type?
First and foremost,I'm sorry for your loss,I know the feeling,I'm an 0311 by trait.Anyway,first,what year is your Civic Si? People want to know what type of motor you have to see what your options are.Each motor is stamped identifying the type of motor it is (found next to the headers i.e. b16,d16z6,b18c1).To get you to the 600 level is quite a challenge,lets start off by identifying what we're working with here.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:03 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

he has a k24z7. the one with the integrated exhaust manifold and cat bolted straight to it.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Trial User

Nice to hear from u brother , I was a 0331. Civic is 2012 And the motor is a k20z6
Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice to hear from u brother , I was a 0331. Civic is 2012 And the motor is a k20z6
Is it a swap? Those motors didnt come in the 2012s
Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Trial User

No that what the guy told me when I bought it ,I go on lunch break in 1 hour . I'll take pics and grab the papers from the glove book.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if its a 2012 Civic SI you have a K24Z7 motor. With boost you can see 600WHP fairly easy on the K series, race gas will more then likely be needed to see those numbers however.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Trial User

Read around it say k24z7 , but ill 100 % Check it on lunch.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:01 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Hmm
How can I put this
You want to boost this brand new car with no knowledge on how motors work...

For starters your going to need to research and find out how a motor works. Not just how to change oil but interal items. Once you figure that how and have a complete understanding move on and research (deeply) how to turbo a Honda. Once you understand both fully you should be able to figure out what you need/want. OR you can have a shop build the whole thing for you. You can take my comment at face value or be offended, not knowing the basics well...you wont get that far.

I understand your asking and it's a start but there is a lot your going to have to look up on your own. I took over a year of research before I turbo'd my integra. I just used good old google to look up everything.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Trial User

Yes I understand you, which I have been reading alot. I know the basic like boost need low compression and all motor need high compression. Now I need someone keep me on the right path. I can read 24/7 but if I do not even know what to look up I'll go no where. Not ask for any one to give me everything, aim asking for tips/ insight/ exp ( in ur eyes) / I want to learn and ask is the best way. Post ur build or a fake one so I can research a full build and understand better.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Trial User

It is a k24z7
Old 09-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there even a turbo kit yet out for that motor? ur gonna have to peice it togethor probably.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 AM
been there done that

Full race makes a kit. Seems to be the only one right now.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doood
Full race makes a kit. Seems to be the only one right now.
Id go custom. I doubt their kit is capable of making 600 WHP
Old 09-13-2012, 11:25 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

I'm glad the op is totally different than most newcomers!

The fullrace looks very nice but damn I didn't notice how little room civics have in the engine bay. The k series looks smaller inside of a b series engine bay, just my thought.

Op:
You have my support mainly because you didnt snap back from my comment earlier. Mac, may be able to lead you/us in the right direction when it comes to choosing the right turbo. I do hope on planning to drop a lot of money in this build. My personal piston choice I suggest is Cp, just not sure what compression you should get on a k
Old 09-13-2012, 11:33 AM
been there done that

Originally Posted by Bizzle5OH3
Id go custom. I doubt their kit is capable of making 600 WHP
correction, looks like the kit is still in the r&d phase. but like other full race kits i'm sure there will be a selection of turbos capable of those numbers.

the main thing with the k24z7 is that stupid integrated exhaust manifold and the fact that vtec is only on the intake side.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is very sad. I hope everything works out for you with the build. Was he in Afghanistan?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Trial User

Money not a factor to me and I plan on dropping the motor once. To rebuild it for boost and do I/H/E , cams, thortle body . Few other things aim still reding up. I been looking for a turbo kit and yes it hard ro fine one. I been look for a website to read up on turbo and can not fine a good one , any one have one they could link? Question to justyncredible CP is what company? Question to dood "the main thing with the k24z7 is that stupid integrated exhaust manifold and the fact that vtec is only on the intake side. " what problems does that make me face? @ rich777 yes we were in Afghanistan.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doood
correction, looks like the kit is still in the r&d phase. but like other full race kits i'm sure there will be a selection of turbos capable of those numbers.

the main thing with the k24z7 is that stupid integrated exhaust manifold and the fact that vtec is only on the intake side.
Throw enough boost at it, VTEC wont matter to much ( ;

My good friend was murdered back in Jersey so his brother and I are doin a build also on his coupe. But were doin an all motor H2B, Should be running 11's
Old 09-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Money not a factor to me and I plan on dropping the motor once. To rebuild it for boost and do I/H/E , cams, thortle body . Few other things aim still reding up. I been looking for a turbo kit and yes it hard ro fine one. I been look for a website to read up on turbo and can not fine a good one , any one have one they could link? Question to justyncredible CP is what company? Question to dood "the main thing with the k24z7 is that stupid integrated exhaust manifold and the fact that vtec is only on the intake side. " what problems does that make me face? @ rich777 yes we were in Afghanistan.
Intake Header Exhaust? Sounds like all motor to me. Intake will be a waste as you wont use it for a turbo set up, by header I think you ment to say manifold. ( savin you from some people that will flame you for saying that ) I on the other hand would rather help you out.

If money isnt a factor, take it a shop, drop it off and tell them what you would like to have done to it. As seeing its for a good friend, im sure you want to be as hands on as possible with it. Easiest thing will be buy a kit already put togethor. Id find a boost savy friend to help you. 600 WHP and never doing it on your own could be a disaster. If there is a performance shop in your area, go talk to them, tell them your goal and get their opinions.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Bizzle5OH3
Intake Header Exhaust? Sounds like all motor to me. Intake will be a waste as you wont use it for a turbo set up, by header I think you ment to say manifold. ( savin you from some people that will flame you for saying that ) I on the other hand would rather help you out.

If money isnt a factor, take it a shop, drop it off and tell them what you would like to have done to it. As seeing its for a good friend, im sure you want to be as hands on as possible with it. Easiest thing will be buy a kit already put togethor. Id find a boost savy friend to help you. 600 WHP and never doing it on your own could be a disaster. If there is a performance shop in your area, go talk to them, tell them your goal and get their opinions.
Thanks I been looking for a shop but I live in south Florida ppl around here love to rob u. Still looking for a good shop. Yes a boost savy firend would be nice right now lol, a car savy firend would be even nicer lol. Trying to study for aero space eng ( college ) work full time and read about cars, not easy lol. Thank u all I have had learn a lot already why is intake not needed for boost?

Last edited by Dangmidnight; 09-13-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Forgot a question
Old 09-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i mean you'll have an intake, your turbo is gonna be your intake. I meant like dont waste your money buying a short ram or a cold air intake from AEM or any other company.

Quick Reply: Rebuild motor for boost. Civic si