Notices

Reading A Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reading A Spark Plug

Guys.. Today I took my plugs out (BCPR-7ES) running on 10lbs of boost. Looking at the plugs (only about 300 miles old) realised that one of the straplines (part of it) is slightly GREEN! WTF?! Looking at the closely its like a mouldy green if you know what I mean... the rest of the earth strap is like a grey colour. Also, the ceramic nose, its still white but if you look REALLY REALLY closely theres sort of like black specks?! Is this normal or am I looking at a pain in the *** det problem?
Old 05-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plugs are not read by looking at the tip, or the ceramic part of the plug.

what you need to do is get a flashlight and look down inside the plug (the depth i mean, is where the threads are on the plug) but on the inside. all the way inside the plug is where you need to be looking for color, or the lack there of. ususally all the way inside the plug, you will see a brown "ring" this is where you read your plugs, you can also ONLY read the plug after a WOT pass, and as soon as you do, you need to shut the car down, because idling will change the affect
Old 05-13-2005, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (mrbsponge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plugs are not read by looking at the tip, or the ceramic part of the plug.

what you need to do is get a flashlight and look down inside the plug (the depth i mean, is where the threads are on the plug) but on the inside. all the way inside the plug is where you need to be looking for color, or the lack there of. ususally all the way inside the plug, you will see a brown "ring" this is where you read your plugs, you can also ONLY read the plug after a WOT pass, and as soon as you do, you need to shut the car down, because idling will change the affect</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm when Mase came over he was concentating on the strap and ceramic part of the plug When mase tuned my car he literally beat the **** out of it on the dyno and whipped the plugs out and said they were cool.. But now after a WOT run I pulled the plugs and couldn't help noticed very fine black specs on the ceramic...

I'm a little concerned thats all...