Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Spark Plug Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Issue

Hey, I'm having trouble with changing my spark plugs on my 2.0L Elantra GT and want to get some of you guy's help that might have had this issue before.

I have done many spark plug changes on different cars, 2 having the same beta engine as my current elantra gt and I have never had any issues until now.

I was going about doing the spark plug job with my 5/8 spark plug socket and long extension as usual but ran into a little issue. I can't seem to get the socket to reach the plug because there is some kind of ring in the way, I have attached a picture for reference.

Has anyone ever have this happen and if so, how can I get the spark plug out, so far I checked 3 cylinders and they all have the same metal ring. Is this the spark plug grommet/ring? If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/atta...9&d=1343789050
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spark Plug Issue

grind down the outer edge of the socket so it can fit inside the ring but over the spark plug. then take the socket back to sears for a free replacement. =]
Old 08-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be the tip of the spark plug boot stuck down there. I've used some long needle nose pliers to pull the piece out before.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the ideas, I tried with the needle nose I had but it was too short. I'm not sure if it's the boot because when I checked them, they looked like they were intact.

I've heard about grinding the plug socket but not sure if it'll work because I don't even see a surface nut for the plug. I'll probably try to buy a long needle nose first and see if that would work.

I'll keep updating here but if anyone else has any ideas or have had this issue before i'll like to hear what you did to fix this issue. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is the rubber from the ignition wire / coil boot. Find an old wiper blade that has the two thin metal strips. Remove metal strips and bend over the last one to three millimeters into a hook, like a j but tighter. Keep fishing at it until you get it out.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by forted
It is the rubber from the ignition wire / coil boot. Find an old wiper blade that has the two thin metal strips. Remove metal strips and bend over the last one to three millimeters into a hook, like a j but tighter. Keep fishing at it until you get it out.
Cool, thats a good idea, I'm going to try that. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got them out with a 11" needle nose plyer after trying for 2hrs with the coat hanger and only got 1 out. Thanks for the help.