Notices

Re-balancing a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-balancing a turbo?

I bought an sc61 and the amount of shaft play makes me a little uneasy, so my plan is to get a rebuild kit and just swap out the seals and bearings... From the little that I have read I heard you want to get it re-balanced afterwards.

Maybe this is a stupid question but is it necessary no matter how big or little of a rebuild you are doing? I mean, you are only swapping out a couple little parts... I never even knew that turbos were ever balanced... I guess you learn something new everyday.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:01 PM

Never heard of it either... I'd like to find out about this too
Old 10-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re-balancing a turbo? (Built2.0Lude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built2.0Lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I never even knew that turbos were ever balanced... I guess you learn something new everyday.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you have any idea how fast turbos spin?? think about it.. if it was unbalanced it would self destruct in a matter of seconds.

get it rebuilt professionally.

btw are the fins hitting the housing or what? turbos have some shaft play.. even brand new ones have shaft play.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:45 AM

I dont think the fins were hitting the housing... The one thats on my car now doesnt have nearly as much shaft play and that one has 4000 miles on it while the sc61 supposedly only has 1000 miles on it...

The compressor wheel is off the shaft but I left the turbine wheel on... I dont know if its possible to really describe this in writing, but how much shaft play is too much? Like I said, I dont believe the fins were hitting the housing
Old 10-11-2006, 06:04 AM

Default Re: (Built2.0Lude)

Ya left the turbine wheel on the shaft huh Too much shaft play is when you can spin the shaft and make the compressor or turbine wheel to hit there housings.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Re: (Built2.0Lude)

take a look at the compressor and turbine. if you can see where they have areas ground off them, and the nut that held the compressor wheel on has no grinding on it, chances are the pieces (compressor/turbine) were balanced individually before the unit was assembled. meaning, you can disassemble it, rebuild it, reassemble it and it will maintain its balance. i've rebuilt a couple turbos like this and have had zero problems thus far.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:18 AM

Default Re: (filthy scarecrow)

you can rebuild it but one thing for sure you have to do is mark the blades exactly the same place before dissassembly. you make sure to put the blades back on the same exact way to each other or else the balance will be off.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (speedlabx2005)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedlabx2005 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can rebuild it but one thing for sure you have to do is mark the blades exactly the same place before dissassembly. you make sure to put the blades back on the same exact way to each other or else the balance will be off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

true, unless

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by filthy scarecrow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take a look at the compressor and turbine. if you can see where they have areas ground off them, and the nut that held the compressor wheel on has no grinding on it, chances are the pieces (compressor/turbine) were balanced individually before the unit was assembled. meaning, you can disassemble it, rebuild it, reassemble it and it will maintain its balance. i've rebuilt a couple turbos like this and have had zero problems thus far. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You can also, send your wheels and shaft out to turbocity.com, and they will balance it. Good company, i have done it once, and they are a good deal compared to what i tried to find locally.