Notices

rc550 saturated use box?

Old 08-12-2005, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc550 saturated use box?

something just came up, i just now notice my boi's gsr has a resistor box with his rc550 saturated injectors using hondata.... need some input on this....... i thought you only need resistor box for peak and hold type injectors..... i asked him about it and he was told that with 550's and up he needed resistor box?......... i'm not too sure about that so here i am asking you guys...... this tuner is a hondata tuner and is well known........ he's been running this setup for atleast 2yrs now so i dunnoe....
Old 08-12-2005, 11:17 AM

if its saturated you dont need the resistor box. you only need it if your running p/h injectors.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: rc550 saturated use box? (spooned out)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooned out &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i asked him about it and he was told that with 550's and up he needed resistor box?</TD></TR></TABLE>

RC made both saturated and peak & hold injectors for 550cc.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: rc550 saturated use box? (11psiTurboSI)

It's not about flow dictating impedance. Both high and low impedance injectors can flow just about any volume of fuel. For example, you can get 660cc injectors in either high or low impedances. The two things are unrelated for the most part. This allows you to match the impedance of the injectors to the ecu that you are using, be it a factory, add-on, or standalone.

Here is a partial quote from another thread we posted in...

...Some basic info
- Low Impedance = 2-4Ohms = Peak And Hold
- High Impedance = 10-12 Ohms = Saturated

- OBD0 Honda Civics have both low and high impedance injectors in MPFI (1988 - 1991) Most often, Si models have low impedance, and other models have high impedance. (Both low and high impedance injectors are available for all models, up to 1200cc flow rates.)

- OBD1 Honda Civics have mostly high impedance injectors with a plug that matches OBD0 injectors, no swapping of plugs needed. Resistors will be needed if switch to low impedance injectors. (There is no reason to switch to low impedance injectors, since high impedance injectors are avaialble, up to 1200cc.)

- OBD2 Hondas have high impedance injectors, with a plug that must be swapped for aftermarket injectors. Also, resistors must be used, if you are switching to low impedance injectors. (There is no reason to switch to low impedance injectors, since high impedance injectors are avaialble, up to 1200cc.)

Checking existing injector impedance is as easy as disconnecting the plug, and measuring across the terminals in the injector connector. Use the lowest resistance setting of your meter, normally 300 or 200 Ohm range. Polarity will not matter.

Use this link to see some directions we have published for our customers looking to buy CorrectInjects. http://stores.ebay.com/Tuner-T....html

So for your guy running high impedance injectors, and resistors too... He is probably not seeing the best possible performance out of the car. The added resistance will slow down the operation of the injector, since it is only getting a small amount of current instead of the full amount that it should.

Sometimes there is confusion about injectors vs. impedance vs. type. When all is said and done, there should be 12-14 ohms between the ecu and chassis ground on a high impedance system. If this is acomplished with only a saturated injector(12-14 ohms), or a peak and hold injector (2-4 ohms) combined with a resistor (10 ohms), you're good. It is always best to measure everything with a meter, and make sure you have the correct final resistance. You can seldom tell the impedance of an injector by just looking at it.

Hope that helps...

Craig

Old 08-12-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: rc550 saturated use box? (TunerToys)

thanks Craig.... he had ordered rc550 saturated injectors for his 95 gsr...... i'm sure its saturated but ill check...... he wasn't the one who installed the resistor box the tuner did and was told that he needed it ..... as i said hes been running with it for almost 2yrs ....... and this is with hondata management unit if its saturated like i think it is i don't knoe why the tuner would install the resistor box ...... maybe the tuner thought it was peak and hold .... i'll check with him tomorrow.......

only reason why im asking is because im going to be using rc550 saturated for my 92 eg...... for what reason why the resistor box is installed in his setup is beyond me... maybe his is peak and hold is the only guess i can think off right now...
Old 08-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rc550 saturated use box? (spooned out)

sorry to butt in on your thread but this brought up a question from me.

Tuner Toys, so with the 660cc low impedence(the ones i bought from you on your site) they require a resistor box correct??
Old 08-14-2005, 09:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: rc550 saturated use box? (2000BoostedEX)

It depends on your ecu. If you already are running an ecu with low impedance injectors, then the 660s will work just fine. However, if you are installing them into a high impedance car, you'll need resistors. Best solution is to measure what you are currently running in the car, and make the new setup match the impedance level.

Craig