Notices

ran into a problem fitting turbo.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ran into a problem fitting turbo.....

wuddup guys, well parts are rolling in and today i recieved my T3/TO4E .63a/r 50 trim turbo. i had a custom top mount manifold made, however the turbo i got is bigger than i expected. here's the turbo:

now i wanted the hot side of the turbo to be facing the distributer side, so that i can run the downpipe right down and under the motor to connect to the exhaust; also i can have the intercooler piping curve right and around to the intercooler (did that make sence?) also i'm trying to keep powersteering.
the problem being is that there's not enough room on the manifold, here's a pic of what i'm talking about:

now i tried clocking the turbo, but no luck, it still won't fit. however it fits facing the other way like this:

(before i clocked it)

now what i wanted to know, is if i keep the turbo like above^, is it going to be a big pain in the butt to have to loop my downpipe, and then have my intercooler piping beside the downpipe because it'll be going the other way?
not to mension that i'll somehow have to fit an oil return in there too. also does the turbo look too far away from the motor? it's going into my integra with a civic 1/2 rad but it looks too far out there. TIA
Old 12-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ran into a problem fitting turbo..... (Flexin5)

just take the hammer to the mani.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

send back the manifold
Old 12-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jared)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">send back the manifold</TD></TR></TABLE>

This would only be legitimate if the fabricator of the manifold had the turbo you have in hand when he built it, and had all of the specifications you wanted such as the routing of the downpipe.

There's not much to running the turbo in the orientation you have shown where everything fits, it's how most A/C compatible kits are setup.....clock the turbo at a 45º angle towards the rad support, and do a 90º off of that to the intercooler. Have a downpipe made that will fit with this done, some heat-wrap on the downpipe and the pre-intercooler chargepipe wouldn't hurt either.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Jared)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">send back the manifold</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. No only does it not fit but the welds to me look bad and like they don't penetrate enough. I'm no welding expert though, so maybe a second opinion
Old 12-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (a1320addict)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320addict &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This would only be legitimate if the fabricator of the manifold had the turbo you have in hand when he built it, and had all of the specifications you wanted such as the routing of the downpipe.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The placement of the turbo is way too low to clear the runners. Plus he's using a small t3/t4 turbo, not unless the person who made the manifold was using DSM 14b's to mock it up it shouldn't have left the shop that way.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well my fabricator will modify the manifold so that the turbo can fit, i was just wondering if i could do anything now so that he doesn't have to hack up the mani again. NSXmatt is right, if the turbo is about 3-4 inches higher, then it'll clear no problem altho powersteering is definatly out.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Re: (Flexin5)

im no turbo guru, but with the looks of it, you may have to send back your manifold. i think if you get an "on center" turbine housing, you can make it work
Old 12-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Flexin5)

Who is the fabricator? Is he from kingston?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to say this but that manifold is almost useless , I dont think you could get any turbo to fit on there , runners are way to close to the inlet flange, sent it back
Old 12-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Muckman)

It looks to me that even the turbine housing hits. If the turbine is right up against that runner, and still nees ~1" to get to the holes, they must have used a .48 housing or something. As for the compressor, it appears clearly that the housing's bolt hits. That being the case, maybe a small stright T3 would fit that, but who in their right mind would get a topmount made for just a t3? Any builder with a brain would use either the most common *larger* turbo on that setup for the jig. Making the mani to fit a 1.06 stg 5 t3/t67 would be overboard, but a 50 trim t3/t04e .63 ar wouldn't be.

With all that said, a custom manifold should fit like a glove. Unless you changed turbo sizes and gave him extreme limitations on dimensions, the fabricator is the one at fault. I'd expect the easiest fix would be to chop off the t3 flange, and angle it forward. Make sure that the turbo is on it when they tack it though!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who is the fabricator? Is he from kingston?</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you refering to sillysohc? I hope this isnt from him (i doubt it he does nicer work.. now) but a couple years back i bought a mani, and the runners were too far apart (ramhorn) so i couldnt fit a rad between (just a half rad fitting straight) and the runners hit the hood, as well as i couldnt run the charge piping past on the other side eaither.. He knew my setup, sold it to me, and later said it was meant for a 92-95, and he could make me a new one for $600. Regardless its a nice piece, good quality just shitty fitment, i made it work though. I believe his stuff is much better now though.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like you need a 4bolt turbo... 4bolt turbine housings place the turbo differently, and although I'm not sure if it would be enough in this case, it will definitely help. Do you have anyone near you that you could borrow a standard 4bolt t3/t4 from to test fit, instead of the 5bolt you have now?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the fabricator who made it, made it before i got the turbo, i was planning on a smaller .46a/r 48trim turbo. he said that he'll fix it no problem, i was just wondering if i could run the turbo with the hot side toward the cam gears to save time/work on fixing the manifold. it's kinda my fault for asking him to make the manifold a)before i got the turbo and B) for a 48trim. but he does really good work
Old 12-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that would save you alot more time....plus it looks in the fourth picture that the cold side will clear towards the distributor just fine! then rotate the turbo again!to face it downwards or however you like it so it would clear!
Old 12-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe you can make a spacer but you might have a prob with the oil line looks like one of the runner still get in the way
Old 12-16-2006, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ran into a problem fitting turbo..... (Siegfried)

quick question... is your motor in your room?
Old 12-16-2006, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ran into a problem fitting turbo..... (Speed Infliction)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed Infliction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">quick question... is your motor in your room?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes..haha...but there's no oil or anything messy in it or mamma dukes would freak..lol i wonder how i'm gonna get it out?
Old 12-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Visqueen FTW. I paid a few bucks for a 10'x100' roll of 4mil plastic, you could drop a crank on it, and it wouldn't punch through. Just don't get brakleen on it, it eats that plastic. I put the stuff under anything that has oil on it now, clean up is as quick as tossing the plastic out.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a buddy of mine bought a full-race topmount made for his car with a GT35R, and we mocked up my GT35R and it did the same thing...

full race told him that its gonna have to go the other way like you have to....

thats a pain in the ***... you would think for a full race made manifold, you wouldnt have that problem
Old 12-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (playahwitgame)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by playahwitgame &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im no turbo guru, but with the looks of it, you may have to send back your manifold. i think if you get an "on center" turbine housing, you can make it work</TD></TR></TABLE>
agree...If you wanna keep the downpipe on the right side of the car, maybe a on-center housing might work...
Old 12-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Simply cut the flange off and angle it away from the head until it clears. Simple fix.