Notices

Ramhorn or Topmount...which manifold for sohc build???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ramhorn or Topmount...which manifold for sohc build???

i'm building a D16z6 and not sure which manifold i should run...so far the setup is going to be...
d16z6 block stock sleeves w/ block guard
eagle H-beam rods
vitara pistons
arp head studs
p&p z6 head w/ stock valve train (for now)
t3 .48/.42

let me know what you guys think of these two manifolds made by silly sohc here on ht...thanks

Old 02-13-2006, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Ramhorn or Topmount...which manifold for sohc build??? (kwik93si)

I'd go with a cheap log manifold for your setup.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:40 AM

You are running a $100 turbo but you want to run a $600+ manifold? Buy a $200-300 manifold as you have a budget setup. I know everyone wants to be a hardcore baller and have all the cool parts, but you're setup doesn't call for this at all. If anything, you should have spent the extra money and bought some pistons that actually fit well in your engine vs buying pistons that have improper piston to wall clearance.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Ramhorn or Topmount...which manifold for sohc build??? (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd go with a cheap log manifold for your setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be your best bet... specially for a D..

but if moneys no option... i'd run the equal length.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ramhorn or Topmount...which manifold for sohc build??? (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd go with a cheap log manifold for your setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my friend just got a ccfab log for cheep for his b and its mint, i would look into them
Old 02-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

jesus christ,

whats next, tell him to move into a trailer park cuz its cheaper?

Old 02-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ramhorn or Topmount...which manifold for sohc build??? (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

jesus christ,

</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha...he's a high roller sohc ninga then...
Old 02-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jesus christ,

whats next, tell him to move into a trailer park cuz its cheaper? </TD></TR></TABLE>

He is using budget builder pistons... so going with a bling(used loosely... mainly referring to a manifold that actually costs "real" money ) manifold seems silly... I'd personally go with a nicer piston before I went up the ladder in the manifold department.

&lt;-- uses the vitaras and is happy... but if i had spare cash, i'd have no reason to have not gone with a real forged piston. Also uses an HF manifold with an external gate... i choose my budget areas
Old 02-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used one of JAYs(silly sohc) Ramhorn manifold before, it worked well and performed to my needs.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:44 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

come on mase, we're telling him he doesnt need the BLING manifolds for his setup. the kid is spending money in the wrong place. vitaras and a 42/48?? really man, do you think he needs a topmount or a ramhorn?? that little turbo will look stupid attached to that blinging *** thing.

$100 turbo should be attatched to a log or a mini-ram. hit up josh at cc-fab.net he'll make ya what u need
Old 02-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Have an STD)

how do u know he isnt getting a decent deal on the manifold?

he didnt ask what if he should get a cheap manifold or not, he asked about ram horn vs topmount.

keep on topic.

and thanks for editing your post
Old 02-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Ramhorn or Topmount...which manifold for sohc build??? (JDM_Risa)

http://www.rld-fab.com/

^^ do the math and see if this works out to be a good deal (I think it will).. you can get the manifold, downpipe and wastegate for $1k USF shipped. And to answer your question: Remember, no one NEEDED a top mount a year ago.. lol

Keep in mind, to walk into a local shop and ask them to build you a custom downpipe for whatever manifold is not going to be cheap - probably more than you would first think. With the RLD you're basically buying a huge part of a turbo kit from one company and a guy with a good rep arond here.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1463182

^^ vouch thread.. you know it's got to be decent when a guy from burnsstainless complements a pipe manifold lol...

also, you can dig though the welding/fabrication threads if you want to see some of theses companies "behined the scenes" fabrication experiences.

see you at the track.

PaulF.

Modified by 2point2 at 1:05 PM 2/13/2006
Old 02-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mase)

i would go with the Ramhorn

the topmount is more for 4 inch downpipes and what not

you might also look into a bigger turbo maby a T3/T4 .50 trim? or .57 if u like lag
Old 02-13-2006, 11:53 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: (Mase)

he asked which one he should get, and so far everyone in this thread has said that both of the options he has listed were way overkill for what hes trying to build. sure topmount&gt;ramhorn&gt;anything else, but he doesnt need that to make the power hes looking to get, so it would be a waste of money.

and yes, my post was a little out of line, i figured that we could keep this to a healthy argument and not act like children so i edited it
Old 02-13-2006, 12:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

jesus christ,

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude were not talking about houses. Were talking about a budget build on a d16 lol. If you can't understand why I suggested going with a log manifold you shouldn't even be posting in this thread. As other people have mentioned it's WAY overkill for his setup. I am helping this guy out because it looks like he doesn't know any better. If this guys doesn't like my opinion that's fine, because I could care less what he goes with. I am just trying to save him $500.

Example: John Smith has a GSR and wants to go turbo. His goal is 250whp and he makes a thread wanting to know what forged rods/pistons to buy. Are you going to tell him CP pistons and Pauter rods? Hell no, you are going to tell him a stock GSR will be able to handle 250whp no problem...
Old 02-13-2006, 12:25 PM

jesus christ,

</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol that was funny !

but im also for the log manifold... get a better turbo and get a ''cheaper'' manifold. The log manifold have been good for a lot of time... there is some better new design but Im sure that it will do the job for you !
Old 02-13-2006, 12:27 PM

even a Blox manifold could be good for your needs.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Ramhorn or Topmount...which manifold for sohc build??? (splitime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd personally go with a nicer piston before I went up the ladder in the manifold department.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree
Old 02-13-2006, 08:52 PM

cc-fab
Old 02-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for your setup either will be over kill.. get you some type of log mani.. anything is isnt wirth it unless you are shotting for 400-500 whp
Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ramhorn or Topmount...which manifold for sohc build??? (Kaotic Kustoms)

that is the stuff that i've got for now...i am planning on upgrading the turbo to a t3t4, and the pistons...i probably will sell the vitaras and go with wiseco pistons...it's just that i got those things for so cheap...got the block w/ brand new eagle rods, brand new vitara pistons, micropolished and balanced crank all for $400 cdn...who could turn that down

as for you beerbong/postwhore...if you're into doing things the right way, why are you boosting a stock motor...spend the money and get real pistons

money is not the issue, and it's not going to be a budget build...i'm looking for at least 300whp...i wanted one of these manifolds since they'll make more topend power
Old 02-15-2006, 11:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kwik93si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as for you beerbong/postwhore...if you're into doing things the right way, why are you boosting a stock motor...spend the money and get real pistons </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why? I spent $1100 on my custom kit 2 years ago and haven't changed anything (except get my external wg). My goals were 200whp and 13.9 and I just did it for fun. If I ever do build my motor, don't worry I will do it right.

You never mentioned upgrading in your original post and the parts you listed were defintely a budget build, so that's why I suggested a log. I think Mase is the only post ***** in this thread... looks like everybody else was agreeing with me.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:09 PM

people around here need to lighten up..

who cares if people post *****.. as long as they know what they are talking about..

i see tons of people around here with 1500 posts that dont know anything.. are asking obvious questions.. and are preaching misinformation
Old 02-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Have an STD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Have an STD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> and a 42/48?? really man, do you think he needs a topmount or a ramhorn?? that little turbo will look stupid attached to that blinging *** thing.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, so true.. There is nothing to show off anyways with such a weak turbo I'd rather hide it with a Ramhorn at the very least...
Old 02-15-2006, 04:55 PM

Default Re: (Tony the Tiger)

I think its up to you, personally i think both manifolds look great and eigther would get the job done nicely, but If I was you I would look into investing in heat wrap no matter what, especially with the huge *** downpipe that the top mount comes with. I cant imagine what engine bay temps would be with eigther manifold, but I bet they would be much more then a log mani setup.

Quick Reply: Ramhorn or Topmount...which manifold for sohc build???