Notices

Quiet, SLEEPER exhaust ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiet, SLEEPER exhaust ideas?

I'm currently running a stock cat-back, but I think I cracked the resonator on a speed bump I was thinking of doing a mandrel-bent 2.5" cat-back setup w/resonator to an ITR axle-back muffler. Would this be a quiet but decent performance setup?
Old 05-12-2003, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Quiet, SLEEPER exhaust ideas? (fnananon)

if you are only thnking 2.5 inch I would say go with apexi ws exhaust.

very quiet and pretty subtle looking.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quiet, SLEEPER exhaust ideas? (twkdCD595)

see, I'm looking for STOCK quiet. and I don't feel like spending mucho cash, I would rather get custom mandrel piping to an OEM ITR muffler, because it seems cheaper (may not be though, not sure).
Old 05-12-2003, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get the ecutout
Old 05-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quiet, SLEEPER exhaust ideas? (int3gra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by int3gra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get the ecutout</TD></TR></TABLE>

look at cheezfrogs post, not sure if that is exactly how you spell his HT handle, but he was selling them i believe.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quiet, SLEEPER exhaust ideas? (jvithayapun)

that sounds like a good idea I guess, but what do you guys think of an ITR muffler? Decent?
Old 05-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fnananon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that sounds like a good idea I guess, but what do you guys think of an ITR muffler? Decent?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you might have a 2.5' piping all the way down, but then itll still be restricted once it hits the stock itr muffler b/c the opening is smaller. if you are willing to sacrafice power for loudness/quietness, then go for it. personally, i am willing to have a loud ride if i have more power.

Modified by jvithayapun at 6:23 PM 5/12/2003
Old 05-12-2003, 01:30 PM
New User

Default Re: Quiet, SLEEPER exhaust ideas? (jvithayapun)

id say go with your original plan of 2 1/2 mandrel piping with resonator and a magnaflow 2.5" in 2.5" out oval muffler. if ur gonna spend money on 2.5" piping might as well make sure everything is 2.5"

Kteller is selling custom setups like this.

my .02
Old 05-12-2003, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Quiet, SLEEPER exhaust ideas? (Civtek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civtek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Kteller is selling custom setups like this.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

... i agree... kteller custom exhaust...
Old 05-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quiet, SLEEPER exhaust ideas? (1.8T_EG)

from what i've heard, those kteller exhaust are loud...and its not that economical after you go to the shop and they charge another $60-100 to weld everything up...(realistically)

face it. quiet, or power. pick one.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:43 PM
New User

Default Re: Quiet, SLEEPER exhaust ideas? (jabroni95gsr)

i agree with jabroni in that you have to pick between quiet and power.

As far as loud setups are concerned it all depends on your piping and other exhaust components. dont expect a 3" setup to quiet.

My brothers 2.5" setup with high flow cat and resonator is pretty damn quiet on his gsr. turbos have a really good way of quieting things down compared to NA cars.

Old 05-12-2003, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Quiet, SLEEPER exhaust ideas? (Civtek)

i just put in my kteller 2.5" exhaust today.

I put it in with a kami 4-1 header w/ 2.5" collector, and a 2.5" carsound cat, then a flex pipe to the mandrel bent piping, and had a magnaflow 2.5" diameter 22" legnth resonator put in (it barely fit, but its in there well), and a 2.5" inlet/outlet dynomax super turbo muffler.

Sounds like the lowest sounding exhaust ive ever heard. Somewhat loud on the inside because its such a low tone, but i had my friend do a drive by from outside and it just sounds sick as hell and doesnt pop at all and i can hear my engine (SC whine) over the exhaust at higher rpms.

For an aftermarket exhaust tho, his setup was done well, but after the costs of welding it in and such, it came out to about the same as an aftermarket cat back. The only reason i did it was because there were no 2.5" exhaust that I could find anywhere that i liked except for a kakimoto r which I've heard was really loud.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:19 PM
New User

Default Re: Quiet, SLEEPER exhaust ideas? (MartyMarGSR)

I'm planning on running a 2.25" Mandrel Bent Custom SS Exhaust, with a large magnaflow resonator where the cat should be, and another magnaflow medium sized resonator alone the piping. I'm going to be using a ITR muffler modified to fit.

The header will be a headertech SS with 3" Merge Collector and im going to be using a 3" QTEC as my cutout. Almost stock quiet with decent flow for street driving and cruising.. 230 Na whp thru an open 3" header when I want to race... Makes me giddy just thinking about it.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:01 PM

I have that setup and it's quiet when you don't mash the pedal. But it can get loud if you really step on it. It has that high pitched rattling sound if you can live with it.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:57 AM

i've been hearing a lot about how the greddy evo. system is too quiet. you might wanna look into that
Old 05-13-2003, 06:42 AM

The ITR muffler is not straight through and not 2.5". I wouldn't pay for 2.5" piping to run into a smaller more restrictive muffler like that.

The Greddy evo is not 2.5" and is definitely not "too" quiet.

I don't know if you could fit them on your civic, but the stock ITR system has two resonators. One is about 18" behind the cat, and the second is back beside the fuel tank. I've also heard of guys running two resonators back-to-back behind the cat. Resonators that are not "louvered" do not restrict flow at all, but they don't reduce noise that much.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out,
Old 05-13-2003, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quiet, SLEEPER exhaust ideas? (fredtoast)

Yeah what this guy said. Honestly I had a 3" with a magnaflow and carsound, then added a dynomax bullet muffler...made almost no difference. Same thing with the magnaflow "resonators".

On my 240 I'm thinking I will run a magnaflow oval under the car, and a magnaflow round out the back....posssibly a resonator after the cat also. I like the Greddy PE, but it's only 2.75"....

If you just go to a muffler shop they'll install a glasspack which quiets it down quite a bit but does hurt flow a little..better than an ITR muff though!
Old 05-13-2003, 08:34 AM

I have the apexi WS exhaust on a 94 GSR... it's very quiet right now... if I get the Kami 4-1 header and the carsound cat am I gonna be loud as $HIT? My exhaust set up on my last car was loud and annoying... I want to keep the exhaust as quiet as possible.. will the kami header and the carsound cat make this setup extremely loud??? does anyone else have this setup? Loud or Quiet?
Old 05-13-2003, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92TEGsrSC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92TEGsrSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the apexi WS exhaust on a 94 GSR... it's very quiet right now... if I get the Kami 4-1 header and the carsound cat am I gonna be loud as $HIT? My exhaust set up on my last car was loud and annoying... I want to keep the exhaust as quiet as possible.. will the kami header and the carsound cat make this setup extremely loud??? does anyone else have this setup? Loud or Quiet? </TD></TR></TABLE>

no it won't because the WS system is quite no matter what...but don't get the kami unless you have a jrsc.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:37 PM

I've got a JRSC ready to throw on... but I just bought my 94 GSR and the engine has 155K on it... what do I need to do before I boost?... I'm considering rebuilding the engine later in the summer... Probably doing Jun2 cams--not sure which springs or retainers or valves-- I'm gonna go with either Crower or Eagle rods and pistons... all the rest of the rebuild will be with OEM parts... unless any of you guys can tell me why to go with anything other than that... I've got a little time to figure this all out... I'm trying build the car to handle 10-12 lbs of boost using the upgrade JRSC pully kit... any suggestions on engine mods that I'll need???? Thanks a lot
Old 05-14-2003, 05:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92TEGsrSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Probably doing Jun2 cams--</TD></TR></TABLE>

No need to upgrade cams with FI.

You are smart to start asking these questions BEFORE throwing any money around. My suggestion is to do a lot of research here on H-T. Also, you may want to get the book "Maximum Boost". Can't remember the authors name right now (Corky something), but I'll get back to you with that when I'm home tonight.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:36 AM
New User

Default Re: (fredtoast)

His name is Corky Bell.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:21 PM

Thanks for all the help, guys. You're right, it is much better to research first for this type of project. I want to build this car for daily driver purposes and can't afford to have it off the road regularly, ya know. I guess I'm lucky that I borrowed money from the rents (and need to pay them back) to buy the car-- because otherwise, I'd probably be throwing money around in a week or two. I am definately gonna do my research on h-t...

you're probably right about not needing cams for FI-- I think the posts I read about cams were all for NA... thanks for the suggestion... Do you think it'd be to my advantage to get bigger valves and have the valve seats redone? I think this would help the engine breath and allow the extra gas/air (from the supercharger) a smoother passage into the combustion chambers and vica versa with the exhaust.

Any suggestions? bigger valves the way to go??? Should I get new springs and retainers? or will stock suffice? Should all the rest of my rebuild be new OEM parts?

Thanks again guys.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:05 PM

ttt
Old 05-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"quiet" is a subjective term. some people think that Lexus's are loud...