quicker spool / wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quicker spool / wastegate

hi
I have a tial wastegate.
I connected the hose from the turbo compressor to the wastegate actuator as usual without any boost controller.

Question is : Instead of not using any boost controller, If I use an EVC, will it help spool quicker ?

Is there anything like that ? I don't think so - but anyway I'll ask..just to make sure..
Old 01-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quicker spool / wastegate

one more thing : is there any connection about a quality wastegate helps spool better than a knock off cheap wastegate ?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

considering I have witnessed ebay gates leaking at every possible part they could leak from... they can for sure hurt spool.

Running a "ball and spring" type boost controller will give you the best spool possible as it will prevent the wastegate from opening a bit while you are building boost.

By definition, the ball and spring is just reducing "lag" time (aka the time it takes from .1psi of boost to peak), not so much spool as the wastegate should never be opening before you make positive pressure.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by alperx
hi
I have a tial wastegate.
I connected the hose from the turbo compressor to the wastegate actuator as usual without any boost controller.

Question is : Instead of not using any boost controller, If I use an EVC, will it help spool quicker ?

Is there anything like that ? I don't think so - but anyway I'll ask..just to make sure..
Well, using something like an EVC or Greddy Profec B II, or Blitz SBC ID has a "boost gain" feature that allows its solenoid react extremely fast, and allow the gate open up precisely where you want it. when you have it dialed in to properly match with your desired boost pressure, you can easily see better "spool" response characteristics than without it. But you actually have to increase boost to do it. you can't just plug it up and let it sit there at 0, or the wastegate spring setting. It can change as much as about 300rpms or so on average, depending upon the turbocharger you use, and what you're using it for. it definitely helps in between gears, and not just one, but it does make a significant difference than those of a manual boost controller or even one that SIMPLY controls wastegate duty.

As for whether or not it makes a different with an eBay one or not, I can only say, NEVER USE AN EbAY GATE, and you'll be fine.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alperx
one more thing : is there any connection about a quality wastegate helps spool better than a knock off cheap wastegate ?
Shodan answered your first question nicely, so I'll address this one with more depth.

The answer you're looking for is no, mechanically both a TiAL Wastegate and a cheaper knockoff function in the same manner. A TiAL will not help you reach full boost faster than a cheap knockoff.

However, a TiAL is far more likely to open when you want it to. Not before, not after, and not never like some of the cheaper ebay gates like to do. Stick with your TiAL