Quick question, Anyone have problems getting car to idle properly

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question, Anyone have problems getting car to idle properly

im running uberdata, w/720 rc s peak and holds stock fuel pressure
1.6 motor, runs great most of the time, only time that has problems is at idle
turbo charged of course, no vacuum leaks, car runs great in full throttle/part throttle, even low throttle 5th drivin runs in 14s

the funny thing is when first starting it up, it will idle at 1000 just like its setup in uberdata, driving around car warms up, push in clutch sometimes car will fall fast enough that it stalls (light flywheel), other times it will fall fast wont stall but idle at like 500, (which i dont like very low oil pressure at that point), other times sitting at a light it will idle at 900 ish (little low but liveable) but then all of a sudden it will stall. i cant figure out why it wont idle after warm up, maybe thermostat or water temp sensor or injectors, leads me to believe that if it idles at 1k when cold it should be able to do so warm, WHAT else can cause this problem

on wideband it will be idling at say 17-18af (yeah i know not perfect but its temparary) and on boost gauge will be around 20 vacuum

do you guys think its the injectors beings there peak and holds that there to big

got to figure this out, beater is down so stuck drivin the racecar every day, and she dont get good mileage, cant afford this 2.50 a gallon for high test that the 720s like to suck up,

thanks in advance
dan
Old 07-22-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Quick question, Anyone have problems getting car to idle properly (nasteboyii)

it's normal for the idleling to be different between cold start and normal operating temperatures. 17-18AFR is too high and you are lean misfiring. Give it lots of fuel because those bigger injectors don't have the resolution to open for a short time hence why it's harder and harder to idle bigger and bigger injectors.

I would richen up the idle maps so you idle around 13.5 AFR and adjust the IACV slider with version 1.70 of later of Uberdata. This should fix your problems. Remember to keep the fueling smooth smooth and not jerky so in one cell you have like 30 and the one next to it you have 150. That shouldn't happened and could be the reason. To summarize: Give it fuel, adjust the IACV slider, and keep the map smooth 720cc's are a brezze to idle try 1000cc /
Old 07-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick question, Anyone have problems getting car to idle properly (adseguy)

thanks a million, will try to do that tonight/tomorrow, see if that helps
wasnt sure if to much or to little i was thinkin to little fuel
shows how much i know
thanks again
dan
Old 07-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Quick question, Anyone have problems getting car to idle properly (nasteboyii)

Also is your idle timing at stock or did you change it? I read that if you advance the timing a little the engine will idle better.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Need idle AFR around 14:1 for it to be smooth. Just add more fuel at idle.

I've had trouble getting Uberdata to maintain a smooth idle in different temperatures. Uberdata doesn't work right. Try crome.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Quick question, Anyone have problems getting car to idle properly (dustin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dustin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Uberdata doesn't work right. Try crome.</TD></TR></TABLE>

tisk tisk tisk ....haha
Old 07-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick question, Anyone have problems getting car to idle properly (adseguy)

I just can't think of a single reason to use Uberdata when crome is available.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Quick question, Anyone have problems getting car to idle properly (dustin)

I can think of exactly 150 reasons , but we are not going to start that debate cause were better then that
Old 07-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, for the datalogging. Who uses that anyways? I wouldn't use datalogging on a bedroom-grown system anyways... I've not got a whole lot of faith in any of the code itself.

AFR I can objectively analyze... and I can see the results of ignition changes. But I'm not so convinced I want to use free datalogging Heck, I don't even trust the Hondata datalogging.

I'd rather have a car that runs right than free datalogging.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dustin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ah, for the datalogging.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont forget the few other features that you get for that $149. Knock logging, auto-tune (works but a few bugs reported) and Live auto-tune (when it's ready). Not to mention the 20x24 resolution fuel and timing maps Crome users get now with advanced boost tools.

hehehe, who would have thought this would turn into a Crome vs UD thread.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Quick question, Anyone have problems getting car to idle properly (BlueShadow)

You guys make valid points , I'm not gonna argue; I just don't like spending money . I do wanna say I really think datalogging is important. Although I tune partial throttle like you do dustin by just looking at a boost gauge vaccum and AF meter in boost sometimes the ECU may not read the part of the map you think you are changing. With datalogging you can see exactly which part of the map it's reading because most of the time I have noticed map sensors are off a little, but to each his own as long as your tunes work .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hehehe, who would have thought this would turn into a Crome vs UD thread. </TD></TR></TABLE>
even i broke that rule haha
Old 07-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick question, Anyone have problems getting car to idle properly (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hehehe, who would have thought this would turn into a Crome vs UD thread. </TD></TR></TABLE>

3rd word in first post is uberdata: chances are high... hehe.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You guys make valid points , I'm not gonna argue; I just don't like spending money . I do wanna say I really think datalogging is important. Although I tune partial throttle like you do dustin by just looking at a boost gauge vaccum and AF meter in boost sometimes the ECU may not read the part of the map you think you are changing. With datalogging you can see exactly which part of the map it's reading because most of the time I have noticed map sensors are off a little, but to each his own as long as your tunes work .
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, I like datalogging Just not the datalogging that gets spit out of the factory ECU hehe.

The datalogging on my Zeitronix and Innovate LM-1 is(are?) invaluable

I've had really bad experiences getting widebands and ECU-based datalogging to work right... There are definate ground-loop issues... and issues that cannot be resolved by a simple rescale of the AFR:voltage map. If I am datalogging AFR, I want to use the wideband manufacturer's literal output... not a number based on a voltage conversion that *is wrong*.... but I digress

Uberdata is free.. so if you really want to cheap out it *is* the solution for you. I prefer less headache, so I try to convince people to use Hondata/Crome...

Old 07-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm the one that has been getting Nasteboyii's car to run. It's on a Full throtlle tuned map but, we haven't had much time to tune Partial and idle. I'll try putting some fuel back into it and see if that helps. It was fine but and now all of a sudden begins to vary? Not sure. We'll probably be switching to Crome soon or even another EMS :cough: Neptune :cough: when it becomes available. . Thanks for the suggestions.

Phil
Old 07-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick question, Anyone have problems getting car to idle properly (hondaguyef)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaguyef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> It was fine but and now all of a sudden begins to vary? Not sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what happened to me with uberdata. After spending several days trying to get the car to idle consistently, I gave up. I'm not sure why it is so sporadic.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dustin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is what happened to me with uberdata. After spending several days trying to get the car to idle consistently, I gave up. I'm not sure why it is so sporadic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, It's very inconsistent but, I guess it varies because, I've had no problems w/ mine or another car that I've tuned that is similar to it but, w/ his car it has just been a pain in the ***.

Phil
Old 07-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick question, Anyone have problems getting car to idle properly (hondaguyef)

Yeah there may be another factor I'm not privy to.... All I know is I took the same car that wouldn't idle for crap on Uberdata... and slapped a Hondata base map on it, and the car idles as smooth as stock.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:09 PM

idle not going to be smooth with a light flywheel. I disabled ELD and PA to get a better idle
Old 07-23-2005, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick question, Anyone have problems getting car to idle properly (ramennoodles)

We richened it up at idle last night and it seemed to fix the problem. It had to be down in the 13's (A/F wise) to idle properly which I have never seen before. Thanks for the suggestions guys

Phil
Old 07-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks again everyone the EXTRA fuel solved it, idles perfect at 1k, very very happy

now time for some part throttle phil
then its on like donkey kong

d
Old 07-23-2005, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nasteboyii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
now time for some part throttle phil
then its on like donkey kong
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who needs Partial throttle?