Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Idle surge only during warm up...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle surge only during warm up...

I've been trying to track down this idle surge issue for a while now. This car has surged since the day I bought it. I figured it would be an easy fix... I was having a constant idle surge issue, and I traced that back to a dirty throttle body, the throttle plate was sticking open. Fixed that, and now I have a rock solid idle once the car is warmed up, but not while it's warming up. From a cold start, it jumps way up to about 2300rpm and idles there for about 15 seconds, then starts surging. If I just let it idle, it will stop surging after about 5 minutes, and then it idles around 1100, dropping as the car warms up, to an eventual rock solid 750 rpm idle. I have searched about a dozen times for vacuum leaks, and I'm confident that there are none, and I have tried two different IAC's with no luck. Idle is unchanged with either one. From my experiences with other cars, I would now look towards EGR as the problem, but this car doesn't have an EGR valve(94 Ex) so where the hell do I go from here?
Old 02-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle surge only during warm up... (SilverSellout)

4 words........fast idle thermo valve
Old 02-25-2004, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^^^^ where is that located on a b16?
Old 02-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlifestyle)

under the tb
Old 02-25-2004, 05:07 PM
mike93eh

replace fast idle valve.

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...SI%29
Old 02-25-2004, 08:30 PM

I found out how to turn the fast idle valve all the way in, did that, everything's great now. Thanks for the replies!
Old 02-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SilverSellout)

nice job
Old 02-26-2004, 01:55 PM
mike93eh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilverSellout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I found out how to turn the fast idle valve all the way in, did that, everything's great now. Thanks for the replies!</TD></TR></TABLE>

explain? turn what in?
Old 02-26-2004, 02:21 PM

Pull off the FITV. Three 10mm screws hold it to the bottom of the throttle body, turn it so you can see the firewall side of it, where there are two 8mm screws holding a cover on. Take off those screws and inside there is a big white screw thing going around a brass piece in the middle. Just put a flat head in there and screw the white thing all the way in, put it all back together and BAM, smooth idle...

Edit, I did this on my D16Z, and haven't had any experience with any other engines, but I suspect that almost every honda engine with one of these valves will be very similar to what I just described...
Old 02-26-2004, 02:38 PM

As said above The fast idle throttle valve controls the idle until the engine has warmed to normal operating temperature. My brother's failed on his D15B7 and he replaced it with one from a D16z6 and it worked perfectly after that
Old 02-26-2004, 08:05 PM
mike93eh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilverSellout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pull off the FITV. Three 10mm screws hold it to the bottom of the throttle body, turn it so you can see the firewall side of it, where there are two 8mm screws holding a cover on. Take off those screws and inside there is a big white screw thing going around a brass piece in the middle. Just put a flat head in there and screw the white thing all the way in, put it all back together and BAM, smooth idle...

Edit, I did this on my D16Z, and haven't had any experience with any other engines, but I suspect that almost every honda engine with one of these valves will be very similar to what I just described...</TD></TR></TABLE>

does anybody know what this white thing is and why does it fix it when you screw it in? also, every honda ive own, theyve all jump up to 2000 rpms when you cold start it and then it slowly works its way down until its warmed up. ive always thought this was normal. is it or isnt it?? should i be trying to fix my ficv or get a new one? i mean my brand new integra did this brand new, so ive always thought it was normal. what is normal?
Old 02-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh)

I have the same problem when mine is warming up..I dont have a fast idle valve...Its only done it since it put the turbo on....But as soon as it heats up its fine...
Old 02-27-2004, 12:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anybody know what this white thing is and why does it fix it when you screw it in? also, every honda ive own, theyve all jump up to 2000 rpms when you cold start it and then it slowly works its way down until its warmed up. ive always thought this was normal. is it or isnt it?? should i be trying to fix my ficv or get a new one? i mean my brand new integra did this brand new, so ive always thought it was normal. what is normal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The big white screw thing is how the FITV is set from the factory to give you the "proper" fast idle that Honda wants it to be at. Over time, it can be shaken loose by engine vibration and it turns on its own, giving you a fast idle that is not correct. Could be too high, like in my case, or too low. When the idle is too high, the ecu tries to slow it down, and you get idle surge. If you screw it all the way in, you get the lowest fast idle that the valve can allow, which is about 1500rpm in my case. I'd much rather have my engine running at 1500rpm stone cold than 2000rpm...