Notices

quick question about boost gauge and egt install

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quick question about boost gauge and egt install

well im getting ready to get everything done
the only reall question i have is where do i hook the vaccum line to to get boost readings for my gauge? the vac line Autometer came with looks super tiny and i dont know what to tee it up to ? anyone have any pis of there set up?
a;lso the egt probe? do i just drill a hole in the manifold and tap it and just thread the probe in ? will that hold?

thanks guys, alomst done with all the stupid questions, just dont wanna **** anything up
Old 01-01-2003, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: quick question about boost gauge and egt install (itr206)

My boost gauge is connected into my manifold.....I bought some 6mm vac line from Napa...it's nice and big. My EGT gauge probe just screws into the tapped hole that MaxRev did for me when I bought it. The probe screws into a base that screws into the mani.....nothing else......no leaks.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:43 PM

well im getting ready to get everything done
the only reall question i have is where do i hook the vaccum line to to get boost readings for my gauge? the vac line Autometer came with looks super tiny and i dont know what to tee it up to ? anyone have any pis of there set up?
a;lso the egt probe? do i just drill a hole in the manifold and tap it and just thread the probe in ? will that hold?

thanks guys, alomst done with all the stupid questions, just dont wanna **** anything up
You can get your vaccum from any vac line running of the intake manifold. Alot of people use there cruise control vac for boost gauge, i don't have CC so I just ran a small vac line off the nipple into the cabin, then on my shitty autometer boost gauge.

EGT gauge....what farns said...for more info go to Jackmoves.com, then under trubo install...he says what size drill bit and so fourth to use.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:15 PM

I like taking the vac off the manifold because it's more accurate then T-ing it off from somewhere else.

EGT - you drill then tap and then screw it in, that's it.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quick question about boost gauge and egt install (ekb18c)

thanks guys, i wasnt sure if the boost just go reg vac or if it needed some other type of source to sense boost?
thanks , that should get me going .
Old 01-08-2003, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

last question on this.
Now the Autometer comes with that thin *** nylon tubing and the back of the guage has the brass threads for a fitting and then the fitting for the other end of the line .?
did everone use the nylon tubing ? or just use thicker vac tubing off the gauge and just zip tie it on good and then just to a vac source.
Im getting messed up becuase i knwo that nylon tubing is too thin to get on the nippe on the Intake manifold whickh is the smallest nipple i have in my car that i found . . . . and i knwo with the fitting for the nylon line , i cant use beucause i dont want to drill holes to mount that thing to anything .

anyone have pics of their vac lines fromt heir gauges? maybe if i see something ill pikc it up bette.r
sorry guys, but im almsot done . . just want to do it right the 1st time .
Old 01-08-2003, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quick question about boost gauge and egt install (Farnsrocket)

I bought some 6mm vac line from Napa...it's nice and big.

this is the way to go..............i plan on doing this with my upcoming install and i'm sure most on this board did this as well
Old 01-08-2003, 08:35 AM

last question on this.
Now the Autometer comes with that thin *** nylon tubing and the back of the guage has the brass threads for a fitting and then the fitting for the other end of the line .?
did everone use the nylon tubing ? or just use thicker vac tubing off the gauge and just zip tie it on good and then just to a vac source.
Im getting messed up becuase i knwo that nylon tubing is too thin to get on the nippe on the Intake manifold whickh is the smallest nipple i have in my car that i found . . . . and i knwo with the fitting for the nylon line , i cant use beucause i dont want to drill holes to mount that thing to anything .

anyone have pics of their vac lines fromt heir gauges? maybe if i see something ill pikc it up bette.r
sorry guys, but im almsot done . . just want to do it right the 1st time .
What I did was used the nylon line to go from the back of the gauge (making a nice secure connection) and then used another of the same kind of crush fittings on the end of the nylon line with a nipple on it, then I zip tied silicon hose to that and to the nipple on my intake manifold.....
Brian
Old 01-08-2003, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quick question about boost gauge and egt install (Slick_GS-R)

will 6mm fit over the threded fitting on the gauge? and then fit on the nipple on the intake manifold?
will the vac line be cool to go thru the firewall , or will i have to worry about it slicing ?
do they make like T fittings that are 6mm on one side and 2mm on another or whatever? becuase the nipple on the intake manifold is tiny as hell
Old 01-08-2003, 08:40 AM

Default Re: quick question about boost gauge and egt install (Firedrake)

When I had an Autometer gauge, I used the nylon line from the gauge also. I took a plastic vacuum 3 way adapter and cut off one of the nipples from it and epoxied it to the nylon line. Then I zip tied the vac hose to it. Here is a pic:
Old 01-08-2003, 08:50 AM

I used the nylon line because it fit through my a-pillar mount and firewall nicely. 6mm line probably would also and if I did it again, I would try to squeeze the 6mm line through and cover it with bigger hose through the firewall so it would not get cut. I wonder how big a difference it makes using the 6mm line.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn it that looks soo good, but too complicated, i dont get it , i dont knwo if my brain is fried from work or not . but ?
i dont understand how you epoxied it ? and got it all to work like that?
Old 01-08-2003, 09:05 AM

It's real easy. The plastic piece that I epoxied to the nylon line was from a plastic vacuum 3 way "T" adapter. The nylon line went into the back of the plastic piece that I cut off the "T". The nylon line actually pushed into the plastic part. Then I mixed 5 minute epoxy and covered part of the line and part of the adapter piece where they connect and twirled it around to keep the epoxy from dripping off until it dried. Your vac line just pushes on to the plastic nipple you just epoxied on to the nylon line and I used a zip tie to hold it.

[Modified by Farnsrocket, 10:33 AM 1/8/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mi still kinda confused, but have a better idea now , im gonna look at some vac sources tongiht on my car and get some idea of sizing and see what i cna rig up at the parts store. . . any probs with slow boost readigns on the gauge? or pretty accurate?
Old 01-08-2003, 09:34 AM

Ok, I worded that explanation a little better. My gauged worked real good as far as I know...smooth.

[Modified by Farnsrocket, 10:41 AM 1/8/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man , you get a for creativeness.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:47 AM

Thanks! Hey, you are about 400 miles from me. We should get some people together and meet halfway or something. I am in Columbus, OH
Old 01-08-2003, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im always down . . . dyno day or something ? i can get a few itr owners to go fo sho
LMk. and thnaks for the help man
Old 01-10-2003, 08:54 AM

No problem. Yeah, we'll have to get a break in the weather and figure something out. later