Notices

Quick p28 ECU Q

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick p28 ECU Q

Ordering a new chipped obd1 for my b20b, going with the demon/neptune combo and I just wanted to confirm that the p28 would work fine with my b20b, I do realize that it is meant to be for a vtec engine but I can use the neptune to allow it to function perfectly on my stock b20 no?
Only other thing I was a little confused on is that it seems you need circuitry onboard the ecu to run boost control, should I just buy the combo that includes it installed? Or would it be worth just installing myself, as I am unaware if manual boost control requires it and if it is really worth getting the EBC circuitry already installed.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:42 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Quick p28 ECU Q

That's the whole point of a EMS - tune it for your setup. At that point the stock ECU has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Can you desolder and solder circuit boards? If yes, then take a shot at it. If not, then don't do it yourself. Pay for them to be installed...

That's the whole point in running a Manual Boost Controller (MBC) over a Electronic Boost Controller (EBC)... one requires extra electronic components and wiring the other requires nothing electrical. So which one are you running? That will tell you if you need the extra electrical components or not.

You should probably take everything to a shop to help yourself out.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:16 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Instead of a P28, why not grab a cheap P06 from the salvage yard or eBay?? If you're new to FI, I would suggest not even bother with a boost controller. Bad things will happen I guarantee.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:06 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I don't see how a manual boost controller being a guaranteed bad idea. It had to be tuned anyway. If he decides to get overzealous, that's his issue.

That's no different than saying, if you're new to driving, don't buy a car. People do stupid things all the time in normal situations.. If trained and tuned add to how to conduct oneself with a turbo cat, you're fine. No different than anything else.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I don't see how a manual boost controller being a guaranteed bad idea. It had to be tuned anyway. If he decides to get overzealous, that's his issue.

That's no different than saying, if you're new to driving, don't buy a car. People do stupid things all the time in normal situations.. If trained and tuned add to how to conduct oneself with a turbo cat, you're fine. No different than anything else.
Hey shodan! : D
So is the issue with boost creep on the mbc really that big of a deal? I may just go mbc for now as it is my first build.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
Instead of a P28, why not grab a cheap P06 from the salvage yard or eBay?? If you're new to FI, I would suggest not even bother with a boost controller. Bad things will happen I guarantee.
I suppose you are insinuating that I will most likely overboost while using a boost controller? I know mbcs have creep issues, but I don't see how this is relevant for ebc. I was only going p28 because I was unaware it wasn't needed for using vtec down the line, as well as this being more of a lazy buy and getting it combo'd with neptune and moates, I am now taking your suggestion into consideration however.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:05 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Most folks who are new to FI are "trigger happy" and tend to crank up the boost if they have the means to. Then **** blows up and they wonder why it doesn't run right afterwards.