Notices

Questions for the cam gods.............

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for the cam gods.............

Background............

Last year I had my car tuned, it made 325whp @ 11psi (spiking to 11.7). I was gettin on the freeway just after filling up with gas and got on it a bit, heard a thud from under the hood and then the car just slowly died. Checked everything out and saw nothing out of the ordinary externally (this was august of last year). Well, i finally got around to takin the **** apart (yea, i know i lag like a ****) and what you see is what I saw..............

My plan is to just throw a gsr exhaust cam in there for now (of course adjusting the lash for the gsr cam). I know there is the possibility of having bent valves. The cams that were in there are cranecam stg II all motor cams. I will be doing a leakdown and comp test later.

The questions.............
1) Should I be alright with timing and whatnot until I can get some extra money for a re-tune?? I have an lm-1 that I will monitor afr's with to make sure those are good.

2) The exhaust cam gear was 1 deg advanced. The tuner did this as he was just trying to make a little more power by dailing out some of the overlap. There were no real big gains and he left it at this setting. Should I just take that back to 0?

Cranecam specs (intake/exhaust):

DURATION
Primary lobe 225/225
Seconday lobe 245/245
Vtec lobe 272/266
Primary lobe @.05 200/200
Secondary lobe @.05 220/220
Vtec lobe @.05 248/242

SEPERATION
Primary 108/108
Secondary 108/108
Vtec 102/108

GROSS LIFT
Primary 315/315
Secondary 354/354
Vtec 472/457

TIA for any help.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions for the cam gods............. (KeyserSoze)

Anyone with suggestions on whether running the gsr exhaust cam without a re-tune would be detrimental??

Update: Threw the gsr cam in and she started right up. Let her idle and sounded fine. Will do a comp test and a leakdown soon. Would still like to know people's thoughts though.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Questions for the cam gods............. (KeyserSoze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone with suggestions on whether running the gsr exhaust cam without a re-tune would be detrimental??

Update: Threw the gsr cam in and she started right up. Let her idle and sounded fine. Will do a comp test and a leakdown soon. Would still like to know people's thoughts though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i highly suggest a retune with the new exhaust cam.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

running a smaller exhaust cam will hurt power. No other risk.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SwappedTURBOegg)

my concern is binding. What the hell happened to cause the cam to just break clean like that? What's the clearance on the cam caps and the cam itself? That situation just seems odd.

Besides, if you like the tuner it shouldn't take him long to dial in with the new cam. I would investigate further into this cam ripping situation. G/L
Old 04-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blaze the chemi)

the only thing close to this that i have seen was in my friends built 2V 4.6, there was really no conclusion to what caused his cams to split like they did but we did end up finding what appeared to be old cloth rags in his oil pickup. either that caused some kind of starvation of oil who knows. His had more signs of dis-coloration indicating heat but yours look clean.

Funny thing is that he was running crane cams as well
Old 04-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (urbansi)

i thought this was the norm for the older cranes?I think we have seen this more than a few times with the older cams in the B's.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93supercoupe)

Thanks for all the input. Yes these are older crane cams. I bought them a while back when I was going to just try to pep up my car a bit, I then went turbo and decided to try them out. There was no discoloration on the cam nor was there any wear on the journal (upper or lower) and all the caps were still torqued to spec.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i highly suggest a retune with the new exhaust cam. </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ Thanks Matt. Can you explain why the smaller exhaust cam might hurt something?? Not questioning you just a chance for me to learn something.
If its a timing issue, cool, but if its an afr issue I could just add or subract a bit of fuel myself. I have an lm-1 and am running an aem ecu.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwappedTURBOegg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">running a smaller exhaust cam will hurt power. No other risk.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^ Can anyone else verify this?? I'm not saying I don't believe you Chris, but I would like another opinion.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KeyserSoze)

I would like to get some more opinions if possible.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow
Old 04-30-2008, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for all the input. Yes these are older crane cams. I bought them a while back when I was going to just try to pep up my car a bit, I then went turbo and decided to try them out. There was no discoloration on the cam nor was there any wear on the journal (upper or lower) and all the caps were still torqued to spec.

^^ Thanks Matt. Can you explain why the smaller exhaust cam might hurt something?? Not questioning you just a chance for me to learn something.
If its a timing issue, cool, but if its an afr issue I could just add or subract a bit of fuel myself. I have an lm-1 and am running an aem ecu.

^^^ Can anyone else verify this?? I'm not saying I don't believe you Chris, but I would like another opinion.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Just the fact that it is probably hurting power and will be slightly altering fuel and ignition requirements. You may be fine not retuning, but i would do it just in case.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

if these cams are known to break, i would take the other one out as well and put both oe cams in
Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotypeR@SPEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Just the fact that it is probably hurting power and will be slightly altering fuel and ignition requirements. You may be fine not retuning, but i would do it just in case. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Gotcha.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotypeR@SPEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if these cams are known to break, i would take the other one out as well and put both oe cams in </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, I gotta find a ctr intake or something similar first........

BTW, I did check the afr's and they are pretty good. The only diff is @ idle. It was quite rich, so I took some fuel out.