Notices

Questions about a boosted GSR

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about a boosted GSR

Ok now that I have found the right area to post questions about turbo'd cars I can ask a question lol, Some of you might have seen my old thread asking about a fully built and boosted b18b1 that I wanted to put together. But my mind changes rapidly..

I decided to go b18c(gsr) so I am in the process of ordering a complete swap from hmotorsonline.com for 2,999.00 plus shipping and handling.. I will be placing the order sometime this week ( hopefully ).. So what I am wanting to do is boost the gsr, now my question is how much boost is "typically" safe to run on a stock gsr for now.? In the future I plan to build the motor to be able to handle more boost but just for the stock motor what would you guys consider a safe range for boost without having to worry ?

any help would be appreciated.. thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about a boosted GSR

dont think boost numbers, think hp numbers

300whp is safe with a good tune
Old 08-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civickiller
dont think boost numbers, think hp numbers

300whp is safe with a good tune
Ok so what your saying is get a hp range i'd like to be at and boost accordingly ? so build around what hp im trying to achieve ?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes because different turbos will produce 2 different hp# at same boost

yes build around hp trying to achieve
Old 08-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a stock GSR turbo on sc6152e at 13psi and made 375whp and 288tq on DynoJet.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure if you are or not buy if you're ordering a stock gsr swap, pony up for the one that comes with an lsd.

280-320whp is kind of the accepted norm on a b18c. a couple turbos i would consider are the

precision 5431e if you stay journal bearing

or

a gt3071r if you go ball bearing
Old 08-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ1_Ex
I ran a stock GSR turbo on sc6152e at 13psi and made 375whp and 288tq on DynoJet.
Wow it would be great if i could achieve hp numbers like that.. thats what im shooting for.

Originally Posted by racebum
not sure if you are or not buy if you're ordering a stock gsr swap, pony up for the one that comes with an lsd.

280-320whp is kind of the accepted norm on a b18c. a couple turbos i would consider are the
precision 5431e if you stay journal bearing
or
a gt3071r if you go ball bearing
Yeah hmotorsonline its only I believe an extra 350.00 for the lsd and thats pretty reasonable to me so im going to go ahead and get the one with lsd.. makes a huge difference.. Ive have motor swaps before ( b20, ls, b16, and back in the day a single cam mini-me) but they were all N/A.. I have no experience what-so-ever with forced induction so i kind of need to be pointed in the right direction..

Thank you guys for all the help, I was a little leary boosting a stock honda motor because I've always heard that you need forged pistons, rods, sleeved block etc.. that boosting a stock motor was just asking to blow your **** up lol... But thanks to the info provided im pretty confident in boosting a GSR...
Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah dont be afraid gsr's can take a beating I have a boosted one myself making 350whp stock and its still holding fine. If you could get e85 get tuned on that gold
Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah dont be afraid gsr's can take a beating I have a boosted one myself making 350whp stock and its still holding fine. If you could get e85 get tuned on that gold
Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Nucking Futz
Wow it would be great if i could achieve hp numbers like that.. thats what im shooting for.

Yeah hmotorsonline its only I believe an extra 350.00 for the lsd and thats pretty reasonable to me so im going to go ahead and get the one with lsd.. makes a huge difference.. Ive have motor swaps before ( b20, ls, b16, and back in the day a single cam mini-me) but they were all N/A.. I have no experience what-so-ever with forced induction so i kind of need to be pointed in the right direction..

Thank you guys for all the help, I was a little leary boosting a stock honda motor because I've always heard that you need forged pistons, rods, sleeved block etc.. that boosting a stock motor was just asking to blow your **** up lol... But thanks to the info provided im pretty confident in boosting a GSR...
Take care in choosing LSD w/ your transmission.Just because it has a torsen LSD from the factory doesn't mean it works the same way as a helical or mechanical clutch type differential. If you really plan to make this thing hook to go forward, just get the standard LSD and install a Quaife. the LSD from the factory only works if the wheels are slightly turned; meaning that even in a straight line, it doesn't "hook" the same way as one would think it does. Many people make the misconception the LSD is just ANY LSD. Check Wiki on Limited Slip Differential, and you'll see the differences. Located here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited...lutch_Type_LSD. The factory is Torsen, the Quaife is not.

In addition. when choosing a turbocharger based upon the power that you're looking for (and not boost pressure as you've already figured), look towards the purpose of the car. Just because one uses a LARGE turbo at lower boost level to get the same power as a smaller turbo with a slightly higher boost pressure level to that same power, doesn't mean that they behave in the same manner. One is more responsive than the other and may be more catered to the driving you want to achieve. You have to take that into account when purchasing, as you may get something too large, and though it makes the peak power desired, it may be very laggy, unresponsive and not usable for your type of driving. (I.e. An SC61 (61lbs/min) for 375whp is great, but he'll only see that after 4700rpms, and is peaky, as opposed to say a GT3255 journal bearing (52lbs/min), is smaller, but it is much more responsive, can make the same 375whp with a little more boost pressure, and can be used for a bit more different purposes, creating an all around car for street/strip.

I recommend Go-Autowerks for the equipment that you need. Due to some corporate issues that Borg-Warner is dealing with in regards to rebuilding the S-series turbos, I highly suggest using the Garrett option as a turbocharger for those particular goals.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually, that made me think, doesn't the jdm gsr come with that weird viscous lsd rather than the ITR style?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would skip that factory lsd option then get a mfactory,imo
Old 08-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thanks guys for the impressive and very helpful information... I will be ordering from hmotors tomorrow or the first of next week... So are you guys saying to not go with the factory LSD option and opt for an aftermarket LSD ? whatever is gonna help me hook up better is what im going to go with, no point in having alot of hp if i cant get it the wheels to hook up haha...

@TheShodan.... Im really going for a reliable daily driver with the occasional track runs and street runs( yes i know how wrong it is, but hey it happens lol ).. but i still want functionality also.. So your saying go with a smaller garrett turbo and just run a little higher boost..?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Nucking Futz
wow thanks guys for the impressive and very helpful information... I will be ordering from hmotors tomorrow or the first of next week... So are you guys saying to not go with the factory LSD option and opt for an aftermarket LSD ? whatever is gonna help me hook up better is what im going to go with, no point in having alot of hp if i cant get it the wheels to hook up haha...

@TheShodan.... Im really going for a reliable daily driver with the occasional track runs and street runs( yes i know how wrong it is, but hey it happens lol ).. but i still want functionality also.. So your saying go with a smaller garrett turbo and just run a little higher boost..?
That's what I'm saying to both. Let me know if you'd like details of exactly of what you need to get.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:39 PM
LBP
Honda-Tech Member

Yes opt for aftermarket lsd like quaife or mfactory. i had jdm gsr tranny factory lsd and it didnt help me much from my stock open diff tranny
Old 08-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
That's what I'm saying to both. Let me know if you'd like details of exactly of what you need to get.
what are your fav stock 18c turbos anyway?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Lol yes please if you want to PM me the details thats fine or you can just post them on here, Sorry im a little slow
Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hello everyone im really glad you guys are talkin about all this because i was in the same situation and see if i can get some help from you guys
Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so here i was 2 mounths ago with my bone stock integra gsr trying to boosted, so i had the car for a year with 120xxx miles on it, running perfect and perfect condition, i really take care of my car so 2 4 months ago i started buying some turbo parts (tial wg, hks bov, revhard turbo manifold because i wanna keep ac and didint know any other one to get, 3 inc down pipe,with apex 2and half full exhaust ,fpr,880 precision injectors, ebay intercooler,aem wideband and boost gauge and new ebay turbo that i had(i think is 70a/r compresor and 64 exhaust so is a big turbo) so when i went to shop they told me that was a great setup for stock gsr and i ask them about that big turbo and they said that it was fine, just it was gonna be tune on lower psi of boost because of the turbo.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so we did it and it was ready to go so we went to the dyno, long history short, when the car was at the dyno i guess the guy that was tunning the car,e over boost it(i think to 16psi, and last past car made 270whp because didnt go all the way) and blow it, crack sleeve, so i dont really know what happend, what do you ALL think about ,my set up and about what happend???
Old 08-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i want to post this as a POST but now that you guys are talkin about it i wanna help other guys that are new like me, and trust me i dont wanna say names but i went to one of the best TUNERS IN THE COUNTRY.

i hope a lot people can comment on it and give some aswers about things like this.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by DIESEL5
i want to post this as a POST but now that you guys are talkin about it i wanna help other guys that are new like me, and trust me i dont wanna say names but i went to one of the best TUNERS IN THE COUNTRY.

i hope a lot people can comment on it and give some aswers about things like this.
stop thread jacking! your post has nothing to do with this guys ?

Its your faullt for letting those loosers tune your car! any repudable tunner would not make a stupid rookie mistake and over boost it! they most likely did it on purpose cause you came there so un educated on the motor setup/turbo motor you created! shops do do this!

run around 7-9si too keep it safe you should be around 250whp-350whp dep on the turbo.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr

Its your faullt for letting those loosers tune your car! any repudable tunner would not make a stupid rookie mistake and over boost it! they most likely did it on purpose cause you came there so un educated on the motor setup/turbo motor you created! shops do do this!

run around 7-9si too keep it safe you should be around 250whp-350whp dep on the turbo.
any shop that does that should be burnt down

**** blows up, we cant help it, we are trying to control explosions with metal flying around at 8k rpm. Maybe his wastegate just got stuck closed who knows.

x2 on the thread jacking make your own thread and is clear and easier to understand

Last edited by FAITHhasME; 08-12-2011 at 02:02 AM. Reason: gator dont play no shit
Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr

Originally Posted by FAITHhasME
any shop that does that should be burnt down
**** blows up, we cant help it, we are trying to control explosions with metal flying around at 8k rpm. Maybe his wastegate just got stuck closed who knows.
x2 on the thread jacking make your own thread and is clear and easier to understand
Thanks guys

DIESEL5 I am sorry to hear about your motor cause that sucks but it is very simple to make your own thread and ask any questions you have. I have my own questions so I hopefully don't make whatever mistake you made as I am a super noob when it comes to turbo's..