Notices

Question: S2 or Victor X and S2 Pro1s or Tuner1s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: S2 or Victor X and S2 Pro1s or Tuner1s?

Like the title reads, I am in the market for some new parts for my build. My goal is to reach 400-450 with the current set-up. I am back and forth on some parts and would like for you guys to give some input on which direction I should go with the two.

Current set-up:

b18b1 block
81.5mm
9.1:1 weiscos
eagle rods
ls crank
acl bearings

b16 head
p&p
crower valvetrain
gsr cams currently
old style s2 manifold currently
rc 750s

peakboost ftw manifold w/ 3" downpipe and full 3" exhaust
tial 38mm gate with 8lb spring
garrett 60/63 snail

I am back and forth on whether or not I should keep the S2 mani or go with the Victor X manifold?

Also, should I go with the S2 Pro1s or the Tuner1s for a cam selection?

Side question: Go with the Omni 70mm tb or a 68mm tb?

TIA guys and I look forward to your input!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question: S2 or Victor X and S2 Pro1s or Tuner1s?

VictorX and Pro1's, but you don't really need them for that power level.. Hell, and even a stock throttle body will get you where you want to be..
Old 04-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

S2 stage 1 and skunk manifold
Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What kind of powerband do you want to achieve? The SK2 IM starts to lose power where the VictorX starts to make power, if you want good top end with a small sacrafice down low go with the VictorX. I am not sure how the Pro-1's will like that small turbo with a SK2 IM, according to some recent tests you will probably make more power with the Tuner-1's and the SK2 IM on your current setup, if you plan on reving past 9k I would definately go with the VictorX, I hold power to 10k with that IM and GSR Cams.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Evan's tuning doesn't recommend using the pro1s on anything smaller then a gt35r. With your power goals I'm thinking the tuner1s would be the best choice.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbo is to small for the pro1 cams for sure. sc61 or gt35r with a .63 is the absolute smallest turbo for these cams. The tuner's would work for you but like already stated stock cams will give you the power you looking to reach comfortably and a nice powerband. Keep the skunk2 intake manifold as well the victor is again to much for the turbo setup. the victor is designed for gains 8k and up with big cams and big turbos. keep it simple and yu will be more than happy with the results
Old 04-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Turbo is to small for the pro1 cams for sure. sc61 or gt35r with a .63 is the absolute smallest turbo for these cams. The tuner's would work for you but like already stated stock cams will give you the power you looking to reach comfortably and a nice powerband. Keep the skunk2 intake manifold as well the victor is again to much for the turbo setup. the victor is designed for gains 8k and up with big cams and big turbos. keep it simple and yu will be more than happy with the results
I was under the assumption the VictorX doesnt really care how much boost you are running/turbo size but more along the line of what your RPM Range is/desired powerband, I could be wrong. I have seen a few Built NA motors rocking the VictorX, that has to tell you something right there.

The OP has valvetrain so more than likely he will dip into the 9k range if his turbo does not run out of breath first, which IMO is more VictorX terrritory than the Sk2.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sp00led
Evan's tuning doesn't recommend using the pro1s on anything smaller then a gt35r. With your power goals I'm thinking the tuner1s would be the best choice.
Agreed. Your set up is too small for pro1s, the gains will be better with tuner1s. If its a street car go with the S2, if it's a race car go with the Victor.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96 GSR-T
I was under the assumption the VictorX doesnt really care how much boost you are running/turbo size but more along the line of what your RPM Range is/desired powerband, I could be wrong. I have seen a few Built NA motors rocking the VictorX, that has to tell you something right there.

The OP has valvetrain so more than likely he will dip into the 9k range if his turbo does not run out of breath first, which IMO is more VictorX terrritory than the Sk2.

yes your right in that aspect that it wil give gains all around but for his setup IMO the skunk2 is more suited for the application with the gsr cams. as for the s2 tuners then the victor might be more suited but its not a race car then the skunk2 will suffice more effeciently with just the gsr cams and keeping a excellent powerband with that turbo as well
Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 AM
official honda whore

for your power goals your current setup will work perfectly fine

if you decide to upgrade your turbo then i would look to upgrade

i just sold my skunk2 manifold and 70mm throttle body for a victor x and 65mm throttle body

i am also upgrading to tuner 1 cams , but i also have a 35r and 84mm gsr

for street car i think you should just keep current setup, but if you do upgrade the cams i would go for the victor x as it will help the additional power that you will get up top
Old 04-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my goals are 500hp on my lsvt and I went with the tuner1s and victorx.....stockTB and gt35r btw
Old 04-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies guys! They are much appreciated!

I would like to change to a sc61 but do not see that happening. Whats the price range on those?

So basically, you guys see me reaching my 400hp goal with the current set up? Maybe I am just affraid that I will not make the mark and want to ensure that I will. On the other hand, too much will kill the power band.

I am looking for something that will be a BLAST to have as a daily and take to the strip here and there. I think I am going to keep the car under 8500 as I feel the turbo will start giving up somewhere in that range.

Would the car benefit from the newer S2 manifold over the current old style one? And also, should I go for the 68mm TB?

Your help has been great!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by [Ennis_D]
Thanks for the replies guys! They are much appreciated!

I would like to change to a sc61 but do not see that happening. Whats the price range on those?

So basically, you guys see me reaching my 400hp goal with the current set up? Maybe I am just affraid that I will not make the mark and want to ensure that I will. On the other hand, too much will kill the power band.

I am looking for something that will be a BLAST to have as a daily and take to the strip here and there. I think I am going to keep the car under 8500 as I feel the turbo will start giving up somewhere in that range.

Would the car benefit from the newer S2 manifold over the current old style one? And also, should I go for the 68mm TB?

The sc61 will run you about $800 for JB and $1200 for BB. I bet you will be able to make 400 on your set up. Keep in mind, you dont want to run much more than 400-425 on 91 ocatane. Also if you go over 400 whp i suggest you sleeve your block. Im not sure about TB's, someone else will have to comment
Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 PM
official honda whore

Originally Posted by [Ennis_D]

your current manifold and throttle body will be perfectly fine for your goal

besides you would have to take off the intake manifold and portmatch it to the throttle body and idk if that manifold will allow a 68mm opening

keep your current setup you have now, put any extra money into tuning (what program are you going to use?) get an electronic boost controller so you can do boost by gear, and worry more about putting that power down instead of making more power
Old 04-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I currently have s300 w/ the Hondata electronic boost controller.

Howard over at RLZ is going to be doing the toon.

Well, good thing I got some input from you guys, saved me some money.

Willing to answer another question?

Which or what size intercooler?

I would like the Percision 600hp intercooler but they seem to be on back order with no ETA. NoLimitMotorsports say the largest Mishimoto will work but its 11.75" tall. WAY huge. About 1-2" higher than the bumper support. I know I will have to take that out or cut it but that size seems WAY TOO LARGE for my setup.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 AM
official honda whore

find a used precision core, they are all over honda-tech

if not a back door style would be nice, i saw someone selling a pwr core with backdoor and tial bov in the forced induction classifieds for around 400 (great deal imo)
Old 04-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The skunk2 should accept the 68mm TB port match. im running a STR 72mm on my blox and there about the same manifold and mine is port matched
Old 04-30-2009, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread has been very helpful i currently have a S2 manifold old style ported and 70mm bbk. Was thinking of going to victor x since reving out to 9500k but it seems the S2 is going to do the job. Everyone is using the x but it seems for a street car S2 is fine