Notices

Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds

I've been contimplating getting one of these manifolds, and heard from a knowledgable source that on two of the cars he has dyno'd, both manifolds produced boost creep. I want to know if anyone else has had the same problem, or what the deal is.

Thanks a lot for any info.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (SpoolnG2)

Bump
Old 01-28-2004, 12:33 PM

Actually I think the opposite is true. I will probably buy one in the spring to help ELIMINATE my slight boost creep.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (RedTegLS)

I don't think it would be a problem being the WG flange is located after all runner has meet before it goes to the turbine housing.

stan
Old 01-28-2004, 12:55 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (RedTegLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedTegLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually I think the opposite is true. I will probably buy one in the spring to help ELIMINATE my slight boost creep.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your gonna spend $1000+ to help eliminate slight boost creep? Nothing against Full-race as there mani's are awesome, but im betting you can do it for ALOT cheaper other ways...
Old 01-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpoolnG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been contimplating getting one of these manifolds, and heard from a knowledgable source that on two of the cars he has dyno'd, both manifolds produced boost creep. I want to know if anyone else has had the same problem, or what the deal is.

Thanks a lot for any info.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was also told that by a knowledgeable source... Haven't had first hand experience, but I will find out soon enough since I have a lovefab and the gate placement is pretty similar.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpoolnG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been contimplating getting one of these manifolds, and heard from a knowledgable source that on two of the cars he has dyno'd, both manifolds produced boost creep. I want to know if anyone else has had the same problem, or what the deal is.

Thanks a lot for any info.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats quite odd, Ive never heard of this. Not defending Full-Race(well maybe a lil bit), but are you sure it wasnt other issues? Like a malfunctioning wastegate, a pinched off dump tube, or bad WG Vac line routing? Just seems odd, because Full-Race is top notch stuff, and NOTHING of theirs should produce anything but positive results...
my $.02
Old 01-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (Tinker219)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tinker219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
are you sure it wasnt other issues? Like a malfunctioning wastegate, a pinched off dump tube, or bad WG Vac line routing? Just seems odd, because Full-Race is top notch stuff, and NOTHING of theirs should produce anything but positive results...
my $.02</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nothing is "guaranteed" against anything in this world.

BUT, to directly identify and assume that the manifold is the cause for the boost creep is like telling half the story. He failed to mention the rest of the setup, which in all circumstances, can all easily contribute to the boost creep issues.

The only time I can imagine a manifold like the Full Race produce boost creep is if it flows too well, that the wastegate can't keep up with the increased spoolup and flow. Everything is relative really. Give us the entire setup and maybe we can start from there...
Old 01-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (98CTRCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98CTRCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The only time I can imagine a manifold like the Full Race produce boost creep is if it flows too well, that the wastegate can't keep up with the increased spoolup and flow. Everything is relative really. Give us the entire setup and maybe we can start from there...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a very good possibility.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

boost creep can and will happen on a manifold for a variety of reasons, regardless of design

if you have a very large turbine wheel, you will have very low backpressure. Very low backpressure means that the air exiting the wastegate is at a lower pressure than if a smaller turbo was used. As a result, you must run a larger wastegate, to get the same amount of flow through it. If you are running a straight t4 you should run larger than a 40mm gate. If you are runnign a stage 5 wheel, its hit or miss.

All it comes down to is wastegate size. This is why on race cars with huge Q trim ++ turbine wheel sizes we must run dual wastegates.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (Full-Race Geoff)

full-race outstanding manifolds and fab work "crazy" *** welder. boost creep is all about wastgegate set-up.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (LeoneRacing)

so then just to be safe i need to get a monster wastegate? 46mm Tial? To bad those damn things are $530. They say to use a bigger wastegate when using larger turbos's at lower boost levels. but my question is, what is considered a low boost level?

Modified by SpoolnG2 at 4:23 AM 1/29/2004
Old 01-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpoolnG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so then just to be safe i need to get a monster wastegate? 46mm Tial? To bad those damn things are $530. They say to use a bigger wastegate when using larger turbos's at lower boost levels. but my question is, what is considered a low boost level?

Modified by SpoolnG2 at 4:23 AM 1/29/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>
Two 35mms will be cheaper than the 46. Just a thought!
Old 01-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (Tinker219)

35mm are discontinued from Tial
Old 01-28-2004, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (Suprdave)

I been using Full Race manifolds on alot of the turbo cars weve done. Exellent quailty, and craftsman ship. On Ducs motor we are just running a tail 46mm wastegate and havent had any problem with it yet.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (CrazyCompression)

I WANT TO SEE SOME PIX OF DUAL WASTE GATES! WHAT IS THE APPLICATION FOR USING DUAL WG? ( whp #'s)
Old 01-28-2004, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (Suprdave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Suprdave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">35mm are discontinued from Tial </TD></TR></TABLE>

Aren't the 38mm's a direct replacement for the 35mm? Still cheaper than 1 46mm
Old 01-29-2004, 02:37 AM

i am using a ful-race t4 and don't have any problems holding 29 psi. best investment ever made.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (BoostedbyFastrax)

I've heard so many good things about these manifolds, and now just heard that payn tech dyno'd 2 of them and they both creeped. Basically, i just dont want to spend $1100 and have a manifold that creeps.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yeah, some more specifics on that car that boost crept. It was using a full-race manifold..40mm Tial wastegate..t3/t4 turbo with a stage 5 wheel...apex-i avc-r boost controller...and they were tuning off the wastegate spring which was only a 9psi spring...they said about 7,000rpm it would start to creep and get to about 14psi. Was he just running to small of a wastegate for only 9psi on such a large wheel?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dual wastegates should only be needed at 750+whp...
Old 01-29-2004, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (tony1)

oh my gawd <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dual wastegates should only be needed at 750+whp...
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-29-2004, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dual wastegates should only be needed at 750+whp...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds (IntegracinGSR)

^^^ bryan and the guys down at pro-drag
Old 01-29-2004, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpoolnG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh yeah, some more specifics on that car that boost crept. It was using a full-race manifold..40mm Tial wastegate..t3/t4 turbo with a stage 5 wheel...apex-i avc-r boost controller...and they were tuning off the wastegate spring which was only a 9psi spring...they said about 7,000rpm it would start to creep and get to about 14psi. Was he just running to small of a wastegate for only 9psi on such a large wheel?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Alright back on topic here, was the reason this car had boost creep b/c the wastegate was too small? I mean I know there might be other factors that could have contributed to this, but most of the time I've heard boost creep generally linked to wastegates.

Quick Reply: Question for people with Full-Race Manifolds