Notices

Question for Moates burn1 / Uberdata…

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Moates burn1 / Uberdata…

I have been running the Uberdata for the past month. I have been programming chips w/o a problem, so I think. My Moates burner is hooked up correctly according to all the instructions that are out there. I have the right moates driver, its on COM 3 and so on. Now when I open the Flash & Burn software its tells me “autoprom found version 05.05.a” So I program my chip and then when I try to verify it against the buffer, it will ALWAYS give me this message “Failed, check connectivity, etc..” It will give me this message when I have a blank chip in there and do the “Blank Check” button, “Failed, check connectivity, etc..” Does everyones do this? Or should I maybe think about sending my Burn1 back for an exchange?
Old 09-21-2004, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question for Moates burn1 / Uberdata… (Turboholic)

Ask Craig Moates. He's a hell of a guy, he'd set you straight about his own burner.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question for Moates burn1 / Uberdata… (J. Davis)

I never got that message. Oddly enough, I never needed to install the "drivers" that he says you need from his website, either. But yeah, mine always worked (works) fine, no errors, on verify or anything.

Matt
Old 09-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question for Moates burn1 / Uberdata… (Johnyquest)

thanks. i guess i need to send mine back. cause i originally didn't need to install the drivers either. but i thoght that was what might of been giving me that error on the "verify", so i installed them with no luck.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:21 AM

mine stopped working too...it'll read and verify, but won't erase or program anymore. i ordered a new one and craig is taking back the old one. great customer service and a lot of trouble shooting on his part.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (scttydb411)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scttydb411 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mine stopped working too...it'll read and verify, but won't erase or program anymore. i ordered a new one and craig is taking back the old one. great customer service and a lot of trouble shooting on his part.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a power supply problem, most chip burners do that with the juice off. Are these the units that run off of USB voltage?
Old 09-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like a power supply problem, most chip burners do that with the juice off. Are these the units that run off of USB voltage?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, mine runs off of usb power. i have heard of what you are speaking of, happen on laptops. Im using it off of my PC. It does the exact same thing on 2 different PCs. Im trying to contact Moates and see if he will exchange it. Sounds like about 25 percent of these units have problems right off the bat.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Turboholic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turboholic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes, mine runs off of usb power. i have heard of what you are speaking of, happen on laptops. Im using it off of my PC. It does the exact same thing on 2 different PCs. Im trying to contact Moates and see if he will exchange it. Sounds like about 25 percent of these units have problems right off the bat. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine does the same thing that you were talking about, but it still burns chips fine.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (scttydb411)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scttydb411 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mine stopped working too...it'll read and verify, but won't erase or program anymore. i ordered a new one and craig is taking back the old one. great customer service and a lot of trouble shooting on his part.</TD></TR></TABLE>

mine did this too, although i never went to verify buffer when it was working properly. either way, craig's customer service is incredible. if your having problems email him and you will be taken care of
Old 09-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like a power supply problem, most chip burners do that with the juice off. Are these the units that run off of USB voltage?</TD></TR></TABLE>

so the fact that i was running my usb burner off my dell laptop could have made it go bad due to power supply? craig said that i had burnt out a resitor inside the burner itself, which i previously had thought was probably due to static electricity or something similar
Old 09-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so the fact that i was running my usb burner off my dell laptop could have made it go bad due to power supply? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Where did you get my saying your chip burner has a power supply problem has anything to do with the rest of that? It has a bad power supply, and therefore lacks the voltages required to burn/erase - reading is a passive function for most designs.

I think I remember reading something about 3.3v versus 5v USB voltages on some older USB setups, and causing conflicts with TTL &lt;--&gt; USB cables MAX233, which requires 5v power. Since most flash memory requires 5v to program/erase, some of you might be jacked by older, poorly designed USB interfaces that did not meet minimum standards yet "worked." Food for thought.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got Moates to email me back and he gave me some new drivers to try. I have yet to install them to see if they help due to the fact that Im still at work. But this is what he wrote:
Try the program in the attached ZIP file and let me know what happens. I think it is a matter of the version of the software. I'm working to get it straightened out. It only happens on some PCs, so it's hard to track down.

if you guys want, i can email it to you if you send me a request email at erick.connerly@keithco.com