Notices

Question.? Been hearing aome bad stuff about Turbonetics turbos, whats the news.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question.? Been hearing aome bad stuff about Turbonetics turbos, whats the news.

So. im getting very close to finishing my setup and i gotta pick a turbo soon. I have always like turbonetics, but lately peolpe i have talked to have been saying bad things, things about the seals in them going bad, and blah blah, just wondering if anyone else has had any problems recently or if maybe someone just got a bad turbo and had to tell everyone else about it. Ive also been looking heavily at the Garret-GT series they look nice and powerful, but one of the guys thats doing the build wants me to look at the SC-60/61 precision turbo which i know nothing about..any info put it in..
Old 11-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question.? Been hearing aome bad stuff about Turbonetics turbos, whats the news. (IntegraGSR(-1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IntegraGSR(-1) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So. im getting very close to finishing my setup and i gotta pick a turbo soon. I have always like turbonetics, but lately peolpe i have talked to have been saying bad things, things about the seals in them going bad, and blah blah, just wondering if anyone else has had any problems recently or if maybe someone just got a bad turbo and had to tell everyone else about it. Ive also been looking heavily at the Garret-GT series they look nice and powerful, but one of the guys thats doing the build wants me to look at the SC-60/61 precision turbo which i know nothing about..any info put it in.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Turbonetics makes good turbos. Pretty much the secret to the life of a brand name turbo is having a good oil feed and good oil return on them.

The Garret-GT series is very nice, but usually costs more than an SC61 from precision or a turbo of about the same size from turbonetics. Also they have the Ball Bearing version on alot of the GT turbos which makes more power and better power band, but then again, that makes the price go up even more.

What power goal do you have? What's your setup? What's your turbo budget? All of the above companies make good turbos, it's just a matter of finding the right size for your application, and something that fits your budget.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Question.? Been hearing aome bad stuff about Turbonetics turbos, whats the news. (IntegraGSR(-1)

well, i have a basic build head is done

GSR head
skunk 2 valve springs
skunk 2 retainers
Crower oversized stainless i piece valves

block is being finshed
GSR bottom
Weisco pistons
crower or/eagle rods ( havent made up mind)
darton sleeved
balanced aall that good stuff

id like to hit the 400hp mark, and with what i have i think its easily obtainable..
i like the Garret-GT35R but its probably overkill..ill prob try out a turbonetics T3/T4 with a good size trim and stage 3 wheel that should support me easliy and lower cost...as far as the SC turbos i know nothing about them so poof..
Old 11-24-2005, 07:59 AM

the sc61 is proven power.. its a former HT bandwagon... there are tons of threads on it
Old 11-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IntegraGSR(-1) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, i have a basic build head is done

GSR head
skunk 2 valve springs
skunk 2 retainers
Crower oversized stainless i piece valves

block is being finshed
GSR bottom
Weisco pistons
crower or/eagle rods ( havent made up mind)
darton sleeved
balanced aall that good stuff

id like to hit the 400hp mark, and with what i have i think its easily obtainable..
i like the Garret-GT35R but its probably overkill..ill prob try out a turbonetics T3/T4 with a good size trim and stage 3 wheel that should support me easliy and lower cost...as far as the SC turbos i know nothing about them so poof..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Precision SC34 .57 Trim T3/T04e .63 A/R
Turbonetics .60 Trim T3/T04e .63 A/R

Both of those will get you to your desired power level with no problems. But if you have the money go for the GT35R. It's good to always have a little bit of headroom because you never know when you're going to get used to the power and are going to need to up the boost for some more