Notices

question about turboing a B18B

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about turboing a B18B

if i were to get hold of a B18B (LS) motor w/ tranny, ecu, harnesses, etc. and have the motor blue printed...then throw in a T3/T04E turbo w/ everything else (intercooler.. wastegate.. bov.. piping.. etc)

how much stress would that put on the motor itself?? how long do you think the motor would last if i were to boost.. say.. 5 psi daily~

also.. what are the chances that when i need to get a smog check.. i take out the turbo and everything else and i pass?? what are the chances of me passing??
Old 11-28-2002, 11:15 PM
New User

Default Re: question about turboing a B18B (jay99EK)

for starters... you might pass the sniff test... but you wont pass the visual. you only need a smog check when its comes time for registration.

if youre motor has good compression... you do a good, clean install... and you maintain your engine (oil changes, etc.) then youre motor should last a long time... depending on how well you take cares of it.

Old 11-29-2002, 12:15 AM

Default Re: question about turboing a B18B (dlplayboy)

thanks dlplayboy!! as for the smog check.. i would need to take out my turbo to pass the visual check~ as for the diagnostic check.. what are the chances of me passing.. if i were to take out my turbo and put a stock exhaust on?? would it be back to the same way it was before?? i mean.. if i have a fuel controller and reset everything to NA standards.. and i had maintained my motor.. did the oil changes.. and kept the compression up..... i should be okay for smog if i were to just reset the fuel management system right??

iono.. i'm kind of wondering how people that have turbo setups pass smog~ like what do they go thru in order to pass smog?? besides paying somebody off to pass it~
Old 11-29-2002, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Greddy ownz u. All greddy kits are 50 state legal
Old 11-29-2002, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: question about turboing a B18B (brryder)

Greddy ownz u. All greddy kits are 50 state legal
street legal if you don't use a bov or more than the factory boost and i believe that it much be installed by a liscensed greddy shop?

Not 100% on that but i think tis right
Old 11-29-2002, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i were to get hold of a B18B (LS) motor w/ tranny, ecu, harnesses, etc. and have the motor blue printed...then throw in a T3/T04E turbo w/ everything else (intercooler.. wastegate.. bov.. piping.. etc)

how much stress would that put on the motor itself?? how long do you think the motor would last if i were to boost.. say.. 5 psi daily~

also.. what are the chances that when i need to get a smog check.. i take out the turbo and everything else and i pass?? what are the chances of me passing??
I hate these questions. I have one of my own that is very similiar:
Both my friend and I started smoking cigarettes when we were both 14. He is slightly overweight but doesnt drink too often. Im not really overweight, but drink more often then he does. Now, who is gonna die first, and from what cause?

Come on man. I say this. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TUNING!

[Modified by 93LSivic, 4:14 PM 11/29/2002]
Old 11-29-2002, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: question about turboing a B18B (93LSivic)

Your friend will die first from heart failure, because he's overweight and drinks. Unless you have heart problems in your family, you would be more likely to have liver problems

New guys, you should search here and on google.com to do some prep research. After that, ask here. This is hands down the best forum on the web.