Notices

Question About the AEM EMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About the AEM EMS

I've tried the search and no luck so...heres my question.

I started out with a 96 Auto Teg OBD-2b

And Now to a Full race LS/Vtec w/ GSR tranny
Almost done with my build up All i'm really missing is a ECU.

I was thinkin of just buying OBD-2b to OBD-1 harness w/P72 and Hondata S200b with datalogging and three step. But for the cost of that i could just buy a AEM EMS for a little more or almost the same.

What is your recommendation, and which EMS could i use ? if its possible at all ?

btw this car will be competing in a streetcar class were looking to make 500+hp and shooting for low 11's to 10's
Old 04-14-2004, 11:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Question About the AEM EMS (Bspec18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bspec18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've tried the search and no luck so...heres my question.

I started out with a 96 Auto Teg OBD-2b

And Now to a Full race LS/Vtec w/ GSR tranny
Almost done with my build up All i'm really missing is a ECU.

I was thinkin of just buying OBD-2b to OBD-1 harness w/P72 and Hondata S200b with datalogging and three step. But for the cost of that i could just buy a AEM EMS for a little more or almost the same.

What is your recommendation, and which EMS could i use ? if its possible at all ?

btw this car will be competing in a streetcar class were looking to make 500+hp and shooting for low 11's to 10's </TD></TR></TABLE>

the aem ems works great for honda's and gives you more control over the engine than anything else - but there are drawbacks - it is a lot more complicated to use than other options and will take a bit to get a good tune on the car - there are plenty cars going the times you are looking for with the power you are estimating with less sophisticated engine management systems - if i were you and if it is the case that you have never really messed with a full standalone before i would just stick with something a bit simpler, ie, hondata, uberdata - something along those lines - a lot easier to work with right off the bat and another great thing is that even if you can't figure it out there is a plethora of information regarding the cheaper setups to aide you

james
Old 04-15-2004, 12:06 AM

thanx for the reply.

I have thought seriously about hondata it just seems the price + ECU + OBD conversion harness is = to a AEM EMS.

I don't plan on tuning the car myself simply because i have never tuned before and also i have good friends that are tuners and are both familiar with Hondata and the EMS.

So i guess my question now is what would you choose if Hondata and AEM were the same price ? And your tuner could tune both easily ?

I don't mean to sound like a newb, but choosing a Engine Managment unit is expensive and very important and i'd like to hear your feedback
Old 04-15-2004, 12:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bspec18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanx for the reply.

I have thought seriously about hondata it just seems the price + ECU + OBD conversion harness is = to a AEM EMS.

I don't plan on tuning the car myself simply because i have never tuned before and also i have good friends that are tuners and are both familiar with Hondata and the EMS.

So i guess my question now is what would you choose if Hondata and AEM were the same price ? And your tuner could tune both easily ?

I don't mean to sound like a newb, but choosing a Engine Managment unit is expensive and very important and i'd like to hear your feedback </TD></TR></TABLE>

if it was for my personal car i would go with the hondata and the main reason why is that i have seen too many small issues come up with the aem ems that haven't been perfected yet - we sell the aem ems for the supra's on a daily basis and we hear what the customers have to say about them - although they are working pretty well know compared to when they first came out there are still small issues - for instance - settings changing for no reason - i remember when the aem ems first came out it was basically getting a new version released every other week with updates - this has pretty much come to a stop now but there are still some little things that need to be fixed

where as the hondata is pretty much dummy proof - it is pretty darn easy to use and like i said the support for hondata tuning is every where
Old 04-15-2004, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question About the AEM EMS (TitanMotorsports.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TitanMotorsports.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

settings changing for no reason </TD></TR></TABLE>

just curious, what settings change for no reason?
Old 04-15-2004, 12:25 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Question About the AEM EMS (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

just curious, what settings change for no reason?</TD></TR></TABLE>

we have seen ignition timing change while tuning supra's