Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

Sup guys gotta quick question,

Well so far ive been doing good on the 2000 integra LS turbo 18g
well i decided i want to kick up the boost to about 12-15lbs, well i got it tuned and it should have been safe but i blew a head gasket, well fixed that with a better one and ARP head bolts, and whammo blew it again about 3 weeks later, took the head off and its not warped, pulled the rods and pistons out, sleeves look good and no crank or rod bearing damage, wasnt even any shavings in the pan, so before i throw it all together again any ideas on whats happening? my AFR's are good all the way through, only thing i can think of is maybe sleeve walk at higher RPMs causing it to blow, and im kinda iffy on the whole block guard thing, should i just go ahead and dish out the cash(which i really dont have) to have it sleeved?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question (QuickSlvrLST)

having a safe afr is only a small peice of the puzzle.
What engine managment are you using.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Question (gunslinger)

Well AFR's and EGT's were normal nothing outrageous, im using Emanage Ultimate, i know its not the best but it gets the job done. I'm still ruling on sleeve walk or maybe since the first HG failed i shoulda just replaced the head. im still kinda new to all this, im thinking of ditching the Eman ultimate and going with a chipped p72 on hondata or chrome
Old 10-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hondata is a good investment, as is finding a good tuner. What size injector do you run? What duty cycle are they reaching? What wastegete, and or boost controller? If you have a decent tune, and all else checks out, it seems like maybe severe boost spikes could be doing it. Is your setup intercooled? I don't know. Also, why a P72 on an LS? It has features that you can't even use (vtec, and IAB).
Old 10-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question (Tornadom)

Does emange have the ability to control timing?
Definitly go with another form of eng managment.
Hondata is what I use but Chrome is good to and cheaper

Timing under boost is very very imprtant, also spark plug choice, Injector DC
I would simply change your choice in engine managment and get it tuned by a professional.
Good Luck
Old 10-02-2006, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Question (gunslinger)

thanks for all the help guys, as for the questions, yes it is intercooled i have a spearco FMIC, injectors are 310cc RC, spark plugs are the best NGK plugs i could run without getting new coils, and for the P72 thats just what someone told me to get, hondata or chrome would be nice but i have no clue how to mess with any of that stuff but would love to learn how to, i also just acquired a B16 head from a buddy and it looks in good shape, but before i go trying to build LS/Vtec i wanna get all my ducks in a row with the bottom end b/c i intend on keeping it turbo'd as well, and fix the current problem before i go off making more possibly bigger problems. Anyone know any decent tuners around SE Georgia, jacksonville, FL area?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, your injectors are probably stressing at that boost level. Invest in some 550cc injectors. As for the plugs... they are offered in different heat ranges. You want to get a colder heat range plug. Also, make sure to retard you timing for boost. Your best bet is going to be to get a different program to run your motor. I personally like Hondata, or chrome. Have a shop tune your car, as they have the equipment, and knowledge of what to do, and what not to do. I wish you the best of luck.