Notices

Quaife Lsd problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quaife Lsd problem

I have a gsr tranny w/ a quaife lsd and i have run into one big *** problem. I have just rebuilt my motor and just put ther motor and tranny in the car last night. The problem is when i went to put the passenger axle in the tranny it wont go in all the way, as if somethings not right. I called quaife and they said "we have never had that problem w/ a gsr diff before". They also asked me if i inspected the diff before i installed it and i said i paid $800 for it i shouldnt have to worry about that. The point of this story is that the stock axle will not go into the tranny al the way. Its not the axle b/c i have the stock diff and i tried the same axle on the stco diff and it goes in fine. Therfor i have to drop the tranny again and pay somebody to open the trans again and shipp the diff to Quaife. Can somebody tell me how fucked up my luck is
Old 04-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Quaife Lsd problem (1fastgsrturbo)

Add some grease to the end of the passenger side axle and make sure the little snap ring is not preventing it from sliding in place. It takes a little bit of elbow grease to get the axle in place sometimes.... just give it a couple bangs and hopefully it will slide right in.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quaife Lsd problem (PrecisionH23a)

i have tried it all day. somebody even told me it was the axle, so thats why i tried another and it did the same. i even removed the ring off of the end of the axle thinking that was the problem and still the same results. I must be in hell b/c i knew my car was going to be running in the morning.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Quaife Lsd problem (PrecisionH23a)

use a brass hammer on the end of the axle to seat the snap ring.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This problem sounds famaliar count the splines do they match?? My quaife diff bolted up fine but had a different spline count aswell as being 2 mm smaller then my axles. in the end I had custom axles made... What a ****** headache that was to.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the second major problem i have come across in my rebuild. The first was when my short block was built by the edge brothers in NC they some how put a fucked up rod bearing in my motor. WHen we started up the motor the motor made all kinds of sounds. This meaning i had to drop the motor again and find somebody to check everything and reassemble it. Thats where I turned to NRG in Long Island. They took care of the motor to the point where i felt like it was christmas when i picked up my motor. They also found out that it was a fucked up bearing, upside down piston rings, and one of the rings were completly different then the rest. Well now my motor is beautiful as hell and now my tranny has to be dropped and taking apart to be replaced all over again. I have spent a whole **** load of money on my set up and everything seems to go wrong. My set up is the following: (you do the math on how much i have spent already and I just dropped 3k on my new turbo set up)

Gsr Block
83mm Cp Pistons
Pauter Rods
Darton M.I.D. sleeve kit
Gsr Head P&P w/ skunk 2 valve springs and retainers
Ferrrea SS valves
01 Type R cams
Jg elderborck manifold w/ Str 68mm TB
Str custom polished cam gears by (NRG)
Gsr tranny w/ Quaife LSd
ACt 6-puck clutch and ACT Prolite fywheel
Old 04-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you got bad luck? HA! i been through 3 trannys over the winter and have put 10 miles on my car since then....1st one I had lasted me 84k miles...blew a spider gear out of tranny...bought a new one...bad bearings...and I am current rebuilding my 3rd right now..
Old 04-03-2004, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It will be sick setup once running, get the measurements for the diff make sure they are correct. If not I would take it back if you can.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quaife Lsd problem (turbozxi)

It has to be the diff b/c i took my stock axle (the one that wont go into the quaife) and i put it in my stock diff that i took out my tranny and slides right in. The thing is that the axle goes all the way in with about an inch hanging out. Well, i guess i got to bite the bullet again and drop the trans and pay somebody to remove it and all that lovely stuff
Old 04-03-2004, 07:38 AM

Mine was very difficult to get in. I ended up having to smack the **** out of it to get it in. Try a hammer
Old 04-03-2004, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quaife Lsd problem (tthame1)

tried a hammer but it just wedged it in real bad and still never went in any farther
Old 04-03-2004, 08:10 AM
New User

Wrong diff for the application? Or else, quaife must of assembled the diff with the wrong internals.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quaife Lsd problem (Evo Hybrid)

if the diff was the wrong one then how would it go into the tranny perfect when being assembled. the intermediate shaft goes in fine but the passenger side just wont give. maybe the splines are different inside the diff then how they are on the axle
Old 04-03-2004, 11:34 AM
New User

either way you have to disassemble the tranny and examine the diff. Will Quaife reimburst the labor if it happens to be their fault?
Old 04-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am going to drop the tranny tommorow b/c i am so stressed right now that i cant even think straight. Then i am going to take it to NRG in long island so they can remove the qauife, then i am going to send it back to qauife. hopefully they will reinburse me for all the f***ing bull**** this is taking me through. It just sucks that i paid around $775 for it and another $250 to have it installed. Now i have to pay another $250 to have it removed then shipping to Cali from Nj next day air and on top of that the time it will take for them to figure out what is going on. This makes no sense at all
Old 04-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ring quaife first as they may not take it back.

"Wired Speed lab" said they couldn't take back my diff because it was used, even though I hadn't put any gearbox oil in or anything never tried forcing the axle in either {thats really bad advice IMO}. You can count the splines and get measurement of the diff with it still in the gearbox just need a torch and steady hand.

The person who installed the diff is some what at fault as well so take it back to them they should of checked to make the axles fitted before installing it, it what a experienced mechanic would do, mine didn't and he was quite pissed at himself. Did it all for a great deal.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I called qauife yesterday and they told me make sure it was not the axle. they said if everything else fails that i would have to remove the diff from the tranny and send it to them. they said they would inspect it and if it was indead the diff they would pay for shipping and send me a new diff. Thats kind of a piece of mind but whjy must i be the FIRST! Well back to being depressed
Old 04-03-2004, 12:50 PM
New User

why would the end shop be responible if they didn't pulled the tranny from the car or sold the LSD to the guy with the problem? All the shop did was installing the LSD to the tranny. The vendor whom the guy bought the LSD from should have more responsibility than the shop that is installing it. If indead Quaife didn't assemble it correctly at the factory, then they should take care of you.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evo Hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would the end shop be responible if they didn't pulled the tranny from the car or sold the LSD to the guy with the problem? All the shop did was installing the LSD to the tranny. The vendor whom the guy bought the LSD from should have more responsibility than the shop that is installing it. If indead Quaife didn't assemble it correctly at the factory, then they should take care of you. </TD></TR></TABLE> I agree with you, but as we all know nothing gos smoothly with cars it pays to check you have the right part before fitting it. Seasoned mechanics have learnt this the hard way.. Not to get OT sounds like quaife will look after you thats good.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should really be able to shine a light down both axle holes and see why one is going in and one is not. Count the splines etc.
I find it very hard to concieve that Quaife did something wrong. They are almost fool proof. This just not make any sense. The problem should be obvious before you pull the tranny apart.
I sell many Quaifes and have not ever heard of anything like this happening.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:31 PM
New User

Default Re: Quaife Lsd problem (earl)

I have quaife in my tranny too and they are probably one of the best investment I have on the car. I stated it might be Quaife fault was because the guy said he tried just about everything. But internet is internet, nothing is accurate.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1fastgsrturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They also asked me if i inspected the diff before i installed it and i said i paid $800 for it i shouldnt have to worry about that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont care if you spent $8 or $8000,inspect what you got before you install it
Old 04-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quaife Lsd problem (D-Man)

I here what you are saying, but i have common sense about alot of stuff like checking a turbo to see if it has shaft play and,etc. but i really cant see alot of people actually taking a axle and seeing if it goes into there brand new Quaife. Maybe i might be wrong or stupid but damn this really sucks one way or the other.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda is the only perfect company I have ever seen, so I would check anybody else's work

Yet another reason to learn to do the work yourself. Just like when I started welding...I just could not trust anybody (especially not anybody I could afford) to do what I wanted, how I wanted, and do a good job of it, so I bought a welder.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1fastgsrturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn this really sucks one way or the other.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup,it does suck,sorry to hear you going thru this esp after a motor like that!...this is the kinda **** that makes people give up and sell everything..hang tough and fix it

Quick Reply: Quaife Lsd problem