Notices

q45 tb? (again) for a serious engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default q45 tb? (again) for a serious engine

first things first i searched and read all the posts i found, but couldnt really find anything usefull or up to date. so to make this as short as possible, this is a fully built 2.0l gsr block and head with gt4094r running AEM's EMS with a goal of 750whp. im in the process of ordering materials to build my IM from RMR and they have TB flanges for q45 TB's that are machined to match there plenum witch would make the fabrication part a lot easier (and im an infiniti tech and can get this TB and connectors pretty easily) so i guess my main question is how common is this TB or other large TB's are on big boost hondas and what fab/modding will need to be done other than rewiring for the TPS. what is usually done for IAC (i cant remember if the earlier q's had IAC in the TB)? and what if any disadvantages are there going to be with running a large volume IM plenum and TB this large (90mm) on a set up like this?

oh and can anyone point me towards some good reading regarding how to calculate optimum plenum volume and runner length?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: q45 tb? (again) for a serious engine

Ur crazy for not just going with an edelbrock & a 74mm. There is no reason why you would ever need a 90mm TB. Im mean damn. A buddy of mine has one on his 408 ls1 but thats only cause its completely built with huge cam/awesome flowing head & I bet it truly doesnt need it.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:40 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have on my 2.3 liter F series, and it drives/feels just like a smaller throttle body. i built the intake manifold (massive plenum), and its not making "Massive" power, yet, but it was a good, monster, nearly free throttle body, with simple flange, etc. why not?

it isnt going to make less power than a smaller one with a properly designed manifold
Old 05-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on a big turbo car there are really no downsides to a 90mm tb.

on the race car at the shop i was working for, we went from a 70mm to 90mm tb and had RLZ do a race valve job on the otherwise stock head. it picked up around 120hp depending on the boost level.

the mustang style edlebrock 75mm tb's are JUNK, i have personally seen 4 or 5 fall apart, sending the little screws through the engine. needless to say we never sold any after the first few broke.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i run one on my car,its 90mm at the inlet but it tapers down a bit.i have too look at home or if you google it you can find out the wiring for it,its just 3 wires like the oem honda tps so no biggie.i went with this t.b. because its pretty cheap,they dont leak under boost like the mustang t.b. through the shaft seals and its easier to setup the throttle cable unlike the mustang t.b.i really dont see a downside to running it,i love mines.just grind off the nissan emblem
Old 05-30-2009, 04:13 AM
something different

yeah, mine was easy to setup the cable pulley setup. i welded some honda stuff to it actually. easy peasy
Old 05-30-2009, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone have pics of this TB ?
Old 05-30-2009, 07:30 PM
something different

not a good shot. looking for another better one