Notices

PVC question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PVC question

Im going to be routing my pcv system like the picture above my question is do I have to tap into my pre turbo intake pipe for the purple line or can I use another source. Also I am going to be using the 90 degree fitting instead of the PCV valve itself does anyone know what size to get? Last question is instead of just plugging the line from the intake manifold can I use that as a vacume source for my bov and wastegate.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: PVC question

u should take the pcv line to the catch can only then take a line from the valve cover breather to the catch can as well then have a filter on the catch can and thats it. unless your making a ton of power just leave the stock pcv system in place. as for the the bov u should use a source direct from the intake manifold. i use the brake booster line with 2 tees one for my boost gauge and one for the bov. wastegate should go to a nipple on the cold side of the turbo providing it has one. are u using a boost controller?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

People are still asking this question? There have to be a hundred threads on this.

I agree with what whiterice had to say except for telling you to leave the stock PCV system. That's a good way to pressurize your crankcase and start blowing engine seals. Either do it the way your diagram is set up (use an intake pipe for your turbo inlet that already has a pipe pre-tapped like most cold air intakes) or set it up with the breather box and valve cover attached to the catch can. Regardless of what you choose, remove the stock PCV.

Also, yes you can use that port as a vacuum source but it's a huge one. Probably better plugging it and teeing off something smaller. Or run it to a vacuum block and use that for your boost gauge, BOV, etc...

Last edited by nonvtecD; 04-05-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Dyslexia
Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

P C V
Old 04-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright trust me I searched and seen all the threads on the pcv system thats how i got the pic I just wanted to know if I can use another source because I read that your turbo can get damaged if you use the pre turbo intake pipe as a source just wanted to make sure and my turbo doesnt have the nipple on the compressor thats why I was seeing if I could use that as a vacuum source
Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ You do NOT need a "source" with a turbo application.

Think logically of the fundamentals of a forced induction setup. You are creating positive pressure. The purpose of a VENT/Catch can is exactly its purpose, to vent excessive pressure, which is usually a mixture of oil, hydrocarbons and air. All this is more efficient and "healthier for your engine" to vent straight to atmosphere rather than feed it back into your engine, which is how you have it in your diagram. A turbo application usually has more than enough positive pressure in the crankcase (some more than others) to vent without any issues.

You are confusing yourself with a stock/naturally aspirated PCV system that SOMETIMES require a vacuum "source" to pull these excessive pressures from the crankcase/head etc. and feed them back into the intake system more-less for emissions regulation. I notice you are in CALI, with emissions laws are harsh as yours its ultimately your call how you modify your PCV system whether it be legal or not.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 PM
OG Hot Rodder

Turbos aren't smog legal in California at all, so the OP can do pretty much whatever he wants.

There is an alternative that is pretty cool, although definitely not smog legal.

An old hot rodder trick is to use the exhaust stream to create a scavenging vacuum in a hose you use to keep a few inches of vacuum in the crankcase at WOT. You run the hose from the PCV valve to a nipple in the catback after the muffler.

Moroso sells a kit for V8 cars that would supply parts for 2 Hondas. Or you could just make one with a short piece of pipe.

Here is the link to the Moroso kit: http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?CatCode=13023
Old 04-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So the way the diagram shows is not correct?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you read anything that was said?

Ditch your diagram. Remove the PCV. Run a line from the breather box and a line from the valve cover to the catch can. Done. Do whatever you want with the vacuum source on the intake manifold.

Read about what the PCV does: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankca...ilation_system

As has been said, good luck passing emissions in California.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who wants to suck the crankcase fumes back into the turbo even if its filtered by a catch can? Yuk
Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok how much boost and what are your power goals. seriously if u are under 350hp leave it alone, the stock pcv will do its job i still have mine hooked up. u wont see too much crankcase pressure until u get into higher boost levels.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Muckman
Who wants to suck the crankcase fumes back into the turbo even if its filtered by a catch can? Yuk
^^^^ that too. i would never do what u have drawn out, if u really want a catch can setup that bad look into the go autoworks system. as far as your wastegate if u dont have a nipple on the cold side of your turbo then your best line to use is the brake booster, u can also drill and tap lines directly into the manifold for dedicated lines or buy an aftermarket manifold that has lots of spare ports already there ready to go.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Whiterice-gsr
ok how much boost and what are your power goals. seriously if u are under 350hp leave it alone, the stock pcv will do its job i still have mine hooked up. u wont see too much crankcase pressure until u get into higher boost levels.
False. Leaving the stock PCV intact will force "boost" into the crankcase. Great way to shorten the life of your rings, among other engine seals that are connected to the crankcase. Under 350 hp leave it alone?? That's nonsense. The stock PCV is an emissions device. On a boosted motor it is no longer "doing it's job".
Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonvtecD
Did you read anything that was said?

Ditch your diagram. Remove the PCV. Run a line from the breather box and a line from the valve cover to the catch can. Done. Do whatever you want with the vacuum source on the intake manifold.

Read about what the PCV does: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankca...ilation_system

As has been said, good luck passing emissions in California.

Im not worried about emissions if I was I wouldnt go turbo but anyways I know I am going to remove the pcv I have been saying that...So I should just put a fitting in place of the pcv (on the black box) and run a line from that to a catch can and run the line from the valve cover to the catch can correct
Old 04-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonvtecD
False. Leaving the stock PCV intact will force "boost" into the crankcase. Great way to shorten the life of your rings, among other engine seals that are connected to the crankcase. Under 350 hp leave it alone?? That's nonsense. The stock PCV is an emissions device. On a boosted motor it is no longer "doing it's job".
the pcv is a one way check valve, when u put positive pressure on it it closes and does not let boost through, if it does use an oem one from any turbo toyota and youre good to go. take yours and try to blow through it the opposite way.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MurtazaDSM
Im not worried about emissions if I was I wouldnt go turbo but anyways I know I am going to remove the pcv I have been saying that...So I should just put a fitting in place of the pcv (on the black box) and run a line from that to a catch can and run the line from the valve cover to the catch can correct
if youve got your heart set on it then go to goautoworks.com and check out there system it comes with the fittings to delete your black box and the can and all the lines u need plus some new bungs to weld into your valve cover. 500 bucks but u will never have to worry about venting.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ I went with the cheaper of GO-AUTOWORKS selection. the Valvecover vent/block drain kit. The drain will double as a vent under high pressure and under idle or partial throttle any oil residue will flow back into the block. I believe the kit is just under $300 with catch can, dual valvecover bungs, all the fittings, lines and a (black box) deletion plug that doubles with a fitting for drain-back. The $500 (T1RaceDevelopments) style 6-port vent kit shouldn't be necessary for anything under 500hp.

That would be a decent kit for the OP's assumed low(er) power goals.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea im only shooting for 300 max nothing crazy...so if I get a catch can I should have the purple line in the diagram going to the valve cover fitting and the red line ill leave it as is and plug the intake manifold
Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 PM
OG Hot Rodder

If you are worried about pumping pressure back into the crankcase, the Terminator Mustang guys with big boost use this aircraft quality check valve in line with the PCV valve to keep from pressurizing the crank case:

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co. (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/)
part number 05-00719 Andair check valve CK375-H
Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the stock honda ones are usually just fine under 15psi or so. but what i think theother guy is trying to say is that your crankcase is not vented when u keep the pcv installed because the boost will close that valve. so your not pushing pressure into the crankcase via the pcv but u also arent venting either. so if u leave the stock pcv in place u should have relief somewhere else ie plug on the back of the block.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:02 PM
OG Hot Rodder

The PCV valve (or the Andair valve) will vent the crankcase when you are not at WOT. The valve will close when you are at WOT, preventing the crankcase from being pressurized. Any WOT blowby that gets past the rings will vent out of the valve cover nipple. Any leftover blowby when you go part throttle will get sucked into the vacuum.

If you really want vacuum in the crankcase at WOT, you need a pump or a scavenging system like I posted earlier.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^agreed but the bottom half needs to be vented or the pressure will push oil out around the oil pan gasket etc at wot.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what size 90 degree fitting can I use to replace the pcv valve I dont feel like taking out the black box and taking it with me to homedepot and my og pcv valve is in pieces after using vice grips to take it out haha
Old 04-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just grab the old one and size up the side that goes into the black box and get an open elbow from any parts store the same size. if u mangled it beyond recognition ask the parts guy for a pcv valve and then use that to size up a plastic elbow replacement.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:04 PM
OG Hot Rodder

Originally Posted by Whiterice-gsr
^^^agreed but the bottom half needs to be vented or the pressure will push oil out around the oil pan gasket etc at wot.
Why would it not vent out the breather in his diagram at WOT?

Quick Reply: PVC question