Notices

Putting the power to the ground?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Putting the power to the ground?

I just wanted to get some input from some of the high HP guys. I have not started my build yet, hell I haven’t even chosen my platform to build off of. My goal is to make somewhere in the mid 500HP range.

All over the web I see videos of this power but it all seems useless because it just seems that they spin tires through every gear. The videos do not show what tires/suspension ect. being used. I am just curious when on the street if I was making that amount of power and using LSD, drag radials, traction bars, maybe even boost by gear I know that 1st and most of 2nd gear I would spin but do you really spin constantly like I see on youtube and such. I don’t want to the guy that says “If I only could have gotten traction I would have pulled on you”. I just wanted to know before I put a lot of money into a setup that in the end I have to turn the boost down to get traction and I don’t really see this question asked that much.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Putting the power to the ground?

drag radials with 500whp is going to be a challenge and will take alot of setup on the car and trial/error and really good suspension. boost buy gears is your friend for sure with any kind of tire. there are so many factors i personally cant elaborate on to many of them but im sure someone will chime in. what are you trying to do with the car? are you talking street traction or at the track?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
drag radials with 500whp is going to be a challenge and will take alot of setup on the car and trial/error and really good suspension. boost buy gears is your friend for sure with any kind of tire. there are so many factors i personally cant elaborate on to many of them but im sure someone will chime in. what are you trying to do with the car? are you talking street traction or at the track?
My main concern is traction on the street because that's where I will be most of time, and I would like to get the most of my goal without turning the boost down and its that with all that power I am just wondering if I should go with something RWD but I just love the D,B & K series.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you wont be wasting any money. going to the track with a set of slicks on will put your power to the ground.. most honda's cant really put it down on the street. but there still fast as hell even when spinning.. a 350 to 450hp honda on the street is the ideal street machine IMO. with a set of decent drag radials. you will be surprised.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

500 hp on the street is gonna have major traction issues regardless. The most i push on the street is 450 and even on the best street radials, i have major traction issues through 3rd gear. Its innevitable with FWD.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ with your street set up what times do u run when u hit the track? also do u feel like u easily pull against other cars on the street or u pretty equal with other turbo cars?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good drag radials, LSD, Boost by gear Helps me out on the street alot . I'm upgrading my suspension soon. 350whp eg hatch.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Boost by gear is great for the street^^

Havent hit the track yet. But on race gas, its in excess of 600whp, so im hoping for mid 10's or better on a good slick.

It pulls very well on the street. I havent met any competition from a roll as of yet. Next summer ill be racing a 700+whp 300zx twin turbo and a 700+whp supra mk4 single turbo. Im hoping i will outrun those cars or be about even with them.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Psychoteen101
500 hp on the street is gonna have major traction issues regardless. The most i push on the street is 450 and even on the best street radials, i have major traction issues through 3rd gear. Its innevitable with FWD.
Does a longer tranny really even help in this situation. For example if I was using a GSR trans and opted for the longer LS transmission or would the benefits be minimal? Even when you are spinning through gears are you gaining speed very quickly or does it just get annoying because your going through the gears but not really going anywhere?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

minimal benefits. I'm a fan of the gsr tranny. i mean i have 460hp and i barely ever get to the track. always street driven. i dont even have boost by gear just a simple BC set to my psi that i run. its alot of fun.t it pulls from others even while spinning. the gsr vs the ls at 400/450 hp inst that noticeable. If you dont have a tranny get a gsr and put a diff in. you'll be happy with it..
Old 12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're at a local meet and some V8 H8R is talking smack, get someone to dump some VHT on your tires before you burnout! Just like at the track IMO! But Ive beaten many 11 sec cars on the street when I had 400hp, traction bars and radials! That's right... no LSD!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Street: Big tires, Badass traction bar, TALL gears (to keep yourself out of boost after gear changes) and one hell of an LSD

Track: Slicks, and gear however you want.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the longer gears for high HP boosted cars. With the wheel spin, id rather have the longer gears so im not worrying about shifting every 2 seconds.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I run toyo R888's on street in 205's. Its mega even in damp here in uk, putting down about 380whp and hooks up in 3rd in dry. Using a S9b g-box wth LSD. Thinks its like your GSR tranny's tho to be fair, just diff part number. I love it mate! Nowt stock in uk can touch a 840kg Civic Eg9 with 400bhp, lol.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97_coupe
I just wanted to get some input from some of the high HP guys. I have not started my build yet, hell I haven’t even chosen my platform to build off of. My goal is to make somewhere in the mid 500HP range.

All over the web I see videos of this power but it all seems useless because it just seems that they spin tires through every gear. The videos do not show what tires/suspension ect. being used. I am just curious when on the street if I was making that amount of power and using LSD, drag radials, traction bars, maybe even boost by gear I know that 1st and most of 2nd gear I would spin but do you really spin constantly like I see on youtube and such. I don’t want to the guy that says “If I only could have gotten traction I would have pulled on you”. I just wanted to know before I put a lot of money into a setup that in the end I have to turn the boost down to get traction and I don’t really see this question asked that much.
M&H 235 60 15's will hook up what your making I use the and I love them... Huge tires but that's what it takes
Old 12-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B20luda
M&H 235 60 15's will hook up what your making I use the and I love them... Huge tires but that's what it takes

Yeah, I'm thinking of the M&H 235-60-15 myself. I'm hoping that helps with my traction problems. What PSI are you running on the street? I'm running 205-50-15 BFG DRs and I'm not impressed. I've run them at 12-15 to 22-25 and I didn't see any real differance. I think they are just to small.

I'm also thinking of getting a set of full race pro-am traction bars, but I don't have any wheel hop problems, probably because of the hasport mounts. I've heard that cutting wheel hop is the main benifit of traction bars, so I'm not sure it's worth it. Do they actually help with traction aswell, or just wheel hop for the most part?
Old 12-19-2009, 05:06 PM

What is a baddass traction bar?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've posted this video a few times already, but so far I haven't found much street videos of big power full interior Hondas ripping it through every gear on street tires. I figured I keep it up here so guys can get a grasp on what exactly a 500+ WHP Honda does on street tires (no slicks or drag radials). This would be a fully streetable tire setup with no compromises for braking/handling/high speed stability, unlike drag radials, which are very unstable and wobbly at high speeds, and you lose most of your braking.

You can definitely make it hook... Boost by gear is mandatory, and a high redline to keep you from constantly shifting. If you can rev higher, you can still run a shorter gear to take advantage of gear ratios but still pull decent speed each gear. A controlled spool of the turbo between each gear shift is important to prevent the tires from breaking loose again after shifting, so I am using my APEXi AVCR and its start duty % to change the boost recovery characteristics for each gear. You can see on the video that my 3rd gear hooked initially, but it broke loose again mid way into the gear. I still have more work to do to get this car hooking the way I want it to, but so far it's pretty good. This was done in late fall as well with temperatures around 5 deg C, and a USDM ITR transmission with 4.40 FD and OEM ITR LSD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPJnF...layer_embedded
Old 12-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mh&h 235/60/15 and you'll hook In third no problem. Full race traction bars are great also. Tires is the wAy to eliminate wheel spin the only problem is it only lasts like 5000miles.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great vid was that actually 650whp in that vid?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
I've posted this video a few times already, but so far I haven't found much street videos of big power full interior Hondas ripping it through every gear on street tires. I figured I keep it up here so guys can get a grasp on what exactly a 500+ WHP Honda does on street tires (no slicks or drag radials). This would be a fully streetable tire setup with no compromises for braking/handling/high speed stability, unlike drag radials, which are very unstable and wobbly at high speeds, and you lose most of your braking.

You can definitely make it hook... Boost by gear is mandatory, and a high redline to keep you from constantly shifting. If you can rev higher, you can still run a shorter gear to take advantage of gear ratios but still pull decent speed each gear. A controlled spool of the turbo between each gear shift is important to prevent the tires from breaking loose again after shifting, so I am using my APEXi AVCR and its start duty % to change the boost recovery characteristics for each gear. You can see on the video that my 3rd gear hooked initially, but it broke loose again mid way into the gear. I still have more work to do to get this car hooking the way I want it to, but so far it's pretty good. This was done in late fall as well with temperatures around 5 deg C, and a USDM ITR transmission with 4.40 FD and OEM ITR LSD.

That hooks great if you ask me, when you say controlled spool of the turbo, do you mean slow it down a bit so it doesnt go from 10psi to 25psi in a matter of a few hundred RPM which would result in spinning the tires?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Naturalasp
What is a baddass traction bar?
Full Race
Old 12-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92redhatch
Great vid was that actually 650whp in that vid?
Yup

Originally Posted by 97_coupe
That hooks great if you ask me, when you say controlled spool of the turbo, do you mean slow it down a bit so it doesnt go from 10psi to 25psi in a matter of a few hundred RPM which would result in spinning the tires?
I am running a 14 PSI base wastegate spring, so the engine still gets 14 PSI as fast as it possibly could. Due to turbo sizing, the setup naturally builds more boost as the gear gets higher (1st gear never gets beyond 12 PSI, 2nd only skims 18 PSI). The APEXi boost controller would only soften up the boost afterwards between gear changes from 15 PSI to 25+ PSI for 3rd/4th only, and that drastically changed how the car hooks and gives those street tires a chance.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

that teg is retarded fast.

all I want is 300whp out of my turbo ls and traction. this is a good thread
Old 12-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome job hooking that car up tony! What tires are you running?

Quick Reply: Putting the power to the ground?