pros and cons: apex power fc

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros and cons: apex power fc

like the topic says.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:38 AM

Default Re: pros and cons: apex power fc (EH-3)

I had a friend who had the FC on his car and hated it. Userbility was horrible he said. Since then he went over to using the AEM and he loves it.

Also, I dunno if u got a hookup on a FC or found a used one for good price but if u are buying new its roughly close enough to same price as a AEM, Isnt it??

Good luck
Old 11-17-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: pros and cons: apex power fc (Boosted1g)

what car did he have it on. how much does the AEM go for?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH-3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what car did he have it on. how much does the AEM go for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He had it on his Integra.

The AEM EMS is alittle over $1000+ dollars depending on application..
Old 11-17-2005, 01:42 PM

Power FC is really easy and user friendly IF you have FC datalogit.

Pros and Cons (my opinion)

Power FC Pros:
-Built and programmed specifically for Honda/Acura
-FC datalogit (third party software and interface hardware) makes it able to have full control of the engine(you dont have to bring it to an excel dealer to tune it) and comes with logging program thats easy to use. Also comes with a box with spots for 0-5v for Wideband logging.
(FC datalogit software is really easy to use)
-Commander comes in handy for monitoring engine and making quick adjustments
-With boost option kit, you can control boost very easily with 4 different boost settings and plugs right into the Power FC box.. which means no wiring.
-Cheaper than most standalones (around $880.00)

Power FC Cons:
-Have to buy FC datalogit (tuning from commander is not a good idea, plus you cant access a few things from the commander)

Let me know if you have any questions.. i have both PowerFC and AEM.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: pros and cons: apex power fc (Boosted1g)

AEM is around 1400
Old 11-17-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: pros and cons: apex power fc (STD ONEpointSIX)

how much is the fc datalogit? also, i thought the boost control kit was only applicable to certain software versions, excluding the b16b version.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am selling on with a conversion harness, Map and commander pm me if you want to know more about it...... I love it but I am not useing that car at the current time so I am selling somethings
Old 11-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cool thing about the PowerFC is you dont have to worry about getting a laptop/PC to tune it with. You do all your tuning through the handheld commander. The commander can also be used as a guage display because you can monitor certain parameters on the LCD. If you use a PFC then you have to make sure your WB setup can make up for the PFC's lack of datalogging. One other thing you can look into is the FC datalogit. This should take care of the datalogging problem with the PFC. If you get the datalogit, then you'll need a laptop, but now the hand held commander becomes optional, instead of being a requirement to tune.

It looks like here is what you would expect to pay for an Apexi PFC/datalogit setup
datalogit = $399, PFC box = $500-$700??? (new or used), laptop = ???

http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz/
Old 11-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STD ONEpointSIX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AEM is around 1400</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got my AEM EMS 30-1040 brand new for $1,020.00 shipped. You are right though. A brand new AEM EMS from a distributor is around $1,400.00 and with the UEGO input $1,600.00.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can use the boost controll kit from a toyota. it will work with honda power fc.

I have to say that it does not get any easyer then using a power fc.

If you ever used a AFC or VAFC the you can use the Power fc. Same type of program layout.

I would have to say that Power Fc is way more user friendly than AEM EMS.

I have used them both, and tuned car with both. I prefer the Power Fc.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: (onefstek)

how much do the boost control kits run for?
Old 11-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EH-3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH-3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much do the boost control kits run for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

$300 +

The downside I see to this ECU is that you have to buy the box, commander, then get the datalogit if you want a non power exel shop to tune it, or do it yourself. And when you add all that up you end up spending probably close if not the same that you could have gotten an AEM EMS for which comes with free tuning software/ 2 step, and a **** load of other options that the Apex FC doesnt have.

I have one sitting here and I gave up on it. Even though anyone can tune it, it's not really popular so alot of tuners arent very familiar with it. Also there's no power exel shops around me, so some things cant be accesed without the dattalogit. I'm selling mine and going with crome for the time being (alot of tuners around) and if that doesnt do it, then I'll probably just buy the AEM EMS.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: (EVIL Hx Coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EVIL Hx Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

$300 +

The downside I see to this ECU is that you have to buy the box, commander, then get the datalogit if you want a non power exel shop to tune it, or do it yourself. And when you add all that up you end up spending probably close if not the same that you could have gotten an AEM EMS for which comes with free tuning software/ 2 step, and a **** load of other options that the Apex FC doesnt have.

I have one sitting here and I gave up on it. Even though anyone can tune it, it's not really popular so alot of tuners arent very familiar with it. Also there's no power exel shops around me, so some things cant be accesed without the dattalogit. I'm selling mine and going with crome for the time being (alot of tuners around) and if that doesnt do it, then I'll probably just buy the AEM EMS.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I started playing around with both AEM and Power FC at the same time and i can tell you that i caught on to the FC Datalogit software way faster than the AEM.

AEM has A LOT of features.. which is a good AND bad thing. It can get very confusing. There are a shitload of options that the AEM has, but half of them you dont even use..(altough i do love the 2 step option AEM offers.. its really nice.. no wiring, no buttons.. it just goes off of the VSS).

If you are having a hard time with the FC datalogit software, you will definately have a harder time with the AEM, in my opinion.

I guess you cant go wrong with either systems. My advice:
If you are going to be tuning the car yourself, get the Power FC w/ FC datalogit.
If you are going to bring it to someone else to tune, go with the AEM.

EVIL Hx Coupe-
If you have a FC datalogit box/Power FC/Commander and you are looking to get rid of it, I most likely will pick that up from you.. PM me.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (STD ONEpointSIX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STD ONEpointSIX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
EVIL Hx Coupe-
If you have a FC datalogit box/Power FC/Commander and you are looking to get rid of it, I most likely will pick that up from you.. PM me.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

dang, u beat me to it. I was going to offer him some cash for it.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefstek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dang, u beat me to it. I was going to offer him some cash for it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

he's still selling it.. plus theres another member on here (BoostedEG6) that is also selling one. PM them.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:45 PM

I have used them both, and tuned car with both. I prefer the Power Fc. [/QUOTE]

my car backfires sometimes when i let of the gas. any idea what causes that?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ try adding some ign. timing on the decell.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:43 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH-3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have used them both, and tuned car with both. I prefer the Power Fc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

my car backfires sometimes when i let of the gas. any idea what causes that?[/QUOTE]

that's part of the Decel feature of the Power FC. Mine does that too, and it keeps the cylinders rich even when there's fuel drop in b/w shifts. It's a good safety feature.

I love my power FC, and was tuned by a new Power Excel dealer here in Michigan. The FC-datalogit was almost a requirement for tuning, even at a dyno, but when the excel dealer has access to it, it's not necessary. I like it much better than AEM EMS.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my car backfires sometimes when i let of the gas. any idea what causes that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's part of the Decel feature of the Power FC. Mine does that too, and it keeps the cylinders rich even when there's fuel drop in b/w shifts. It's a good safety feature.

I love my power FC, and was tuned by a new Power Excel dealer here in Michigan. The FC-datalogit was almost a requirement for tuning, even at a dyno, but when the excel dealer has access to it, it's not necessary. I like it much better than AEM EMS.[/QUOTE]

Yes my car backfires also.. everytime i shift.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:15 PM

my car also hiccups when im at a stop. ne ideas of what cause this?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:22 PM

Sounds like a poor tune to me. I like PFC's I have one on my nissan the Knock sensor feature is awesome, also having access to the injector duty cycle etc is nice.

Only one problem I can see is that you can't have two separate tunes on it, like a pump gas tune and then a race gas tune or map.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: (Churbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Churbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like a poor tune to me. I like PFC's I have one on my nissan the Knock sensor feature is awesome, also having access to the injector duty cycle etc is nice.

Only one problem I can see is that you can't have two separate tunes on it, like a pump gas tune and then a race gas tune or map. </TD></TR></TABLE>

why cant you have 2 seprate tunes? i have about 4 different tunes i can load in whenever i want (with a laptop of course).
Old 11-19-2005, 10:01 AM

I don't have data logit have an very experienced Power excel tuner local so not needed really. You can't press a button and swap maps is what I mean, only one map on the ecu at a time.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Churbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Churbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't have data logit have an very experienced Power excel tuner local so not needed really. You can't press a button and swap maps is what I mean, only one map on the ecu at a time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes only one map on the ecu at one time. but if you have a full tune done, then you can change the boost with out having to change maps.

the map is a 20x20 grig, each cell represent rpm vs pressure. so if you have the car tuned at 6psi, 8psi, 10psi or any boost level, then you don't have to change the map.

ex.
p01-p09 vacume
p10-WOT or atmospheric
p11-p20 boost

if your boost is set for 10psi (for example)

it will go down the map untill it reaches P15, then will stay at that level untill you let off the throttle

if your boost is set for 15 psi (just an example again)

it will go down the map untill it reaches P20, then will stay at that level untill you let off the throttle

So that's why you don't need more than one map. If you have it tuned from 0-20 psi boost, then you will be safe to turn the boost up or down when ever you want.

Quick Reply: pros and cons: apex power fc