Notices

Project FQ-340

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project FQ-340

Hello all,

Well this project has been a long time in the making, and it’s now finally being buttoned up. To give you all a brief history of this project, basically I had a client of mine ask me to take on his FQ-340 project when I was over in London, England tuning cars early 2006. He was unhappy with the way his previous setup came out, so decided to ship the car over.

Some of you may know, but many do not know about this car, so I’ve decided to make a nice compilation of the build/mods/pics/videos. I had many ask me to write a rather extensive documentary of the build and post it up here, so I’m finally getting around to doing so. So if you aren’t ready for a Novel, you might want to just scroll down for the pics/videos. This wasn’t a quick project, so it will be a long sequence of written events.

The owner had a goal in mind. Not only did he want a car he could drive on the street normally, but attended all types of weekend hot spots whether it be a drag strip, road race, or just personal enjoyment. He also wanted this FQ to be built for Cannonball Type runs. It has an auxiliary fuel tank in the trunk to hold an additional 15 gallons of fuel so he could go quite a distance with the car and not run out of fuel.

Secondly, he needed the car to go fast top end, yet still on pump gas, over in Europe, its difficult to find race gas, not only is it very expensive, it would be hard to travel across countries and find it. He also wanted a well handling car, broad power band, all with great drivability. It will see road courses, drag strips, and of course lots of highways.

Our goal: 500 awhp on my dyno dynamics dynamometer 93 octane

So here I was, in a world of possibilities, the owner left most of the performance mods up to me, and this is how it currently goes:

Mod List:

JUN 2.2 Liter Stroker Kit
Cosworth Cylinder Head
JUN 272 Cams
Modified JUN Solid Lifter Kit
Full-Race Exhaust Manifold
Full-Race Downpipe (Modified in house)
Garrett GT35R
HKS Intercooler
Custom Aluminum Intercooler Piping (Built in house)
AEM EMS
RC 1000cc Injectors
Apexi AVCR
Magnus Intake Manifold
Exedy Twin
Quaife Front Differential
DSS Axles
Super AYC Controller
PSS9 Bilstein Suspension
Cusco Front and Rear Sway Bars
AP Racing 6 Pot Front Brakes
Tarox 10 Pot Rear Brakes

Further, to give everyone a break down on my choices when it came to building this car, there are a few things I would like to point out. I chose the 2.2L 94mm stroke because I knew the car would need to rev high, the 2.3L crank has a hair longer stroke, which would increase the piston speeds even higher. The design of the JUN crank is second to none compared to other cranks I have seen. (pics posted below). With this added displacement, it helped aid to an already responsive motor.

Now onto the top half of the motor. I had heard rumors about cosworth coming out with a cylinder head right when I started shopping for parts. Thanks to Andy Chan, we got some of the first cylinder heads, and I have to say I’ve been seriously impressed with their work. After getting pictures of the head earlier in 2006 and viewing the flow charts, I was sold. And have been pleased ever since.

Many people always ask, why a 35r? If you need serious power, why not a bigger turbo? Easy answer. Versatility. We chose the 35r for several reasons, its extremely responsive w/ the 2.2 Stroker. It meets our power goals with ease. The transient response of that turbo is among the best I’ve seen.

This project wasn’t a complete breeze by any means. It required many sleepless nights planning and calculating exactly how I wanted to build this motor. I’m not a professional engine builder, but I have enough background building a few motors, being an engineer, I felt capable of taking on the task. I sat down and computed exact specs for what I wanted each parameter to be. I took into account all the manufactures recommendations, my own accounts, as well as many others recommendations. I was open to all suggestions on how to build the best motor I knew how. It needed to be loose enough to sustain the heat we were going to be putting through it, yet tight enough it didn’t smoke like all these ‘race’ motors popping out everywhere. Further, one of the more stressful aspects, the bearing clearances. The most common failures I see are bearing failures. The JUN crank is a very expensive crank, the car will be running high RPMs for a sustained amount of time. As the old saying goes, a tighter motor will last longer, a looser motor will make more power. Well I needed to make the motor last, but make great power. In the end, I spent forever getting the specs right where I wanted them, I about wore out my micrometers and couldn’t tell you how many sleeves of plastigage I went through. It took getting OEM bearings from Europe and many weeks of trying a few different sets, just to get it matched to my perfection.

The other hardship of the build was the Solid Lifters. These were a huge time consumption. JUN supplied the solid lifters, along with shims to set the different clearances. Once I got the long block assembled, I started to tackle this little mod. Boy I had no idea how time consuming it was going to be. JUN had only supplied me one size of shims, and upon emailing them asking for the correct specs, they asked me to send the head back for them to install and correctly shim the head. I wasn’t going to send a brand new cosworth head across the country. Not to mention, I knew the head when breaking in would change the clearances a bit. When I started measuring the clearances, I found barely any of the same size shims they provided fit the proper specs. Thanks to Dwight (our head fabricator and master mechanic here at Stage 6 Motorsports), he quickly pointed out they were just Nissan sr20 shims. I ordered a variety of Nissan shims at $8 a piece, a true rip off for an ounce of metal. Long story short, some of the valve stem heights on the intake side of the cosworth head, were still pretty high, I ended up having to modify these lifters myself, about 20 hours worth of work. Not fun, but they are working out quite well.

So by now, you are probably wondering exactly how it turned out. The tuning side of things, naturally was a breeze due to my experience w/ tuning. On some c16, the car made:

Power was very stout, 600 awhp and 495 ft/lbs of torque. The only flaw of this dyno chart, the boost fell off on top end about 2 psi to about 27 psi, but I later fixed it by adding some duty % to the AVCR on the street. Otherwise, it holds power till 8500 rpms when the boost level is completely straight. This is straight boost, no other power adders, no meth, no nitrous. For those who don’t know about Dyno Dynamics Dyno’s, they read about 15% lower than your generic dynojet. The injectors are maxed at that level, which is ok, because this is well beyond our goals. We reached 520 awhp on straight 93 pump gas at about 21-22 psi. Mission Accomplished.

Now on to the more interesting part PICTURES and VIDEOS

Videos:

Dyno Video (note, my dyno is a constant acceleration rate, it doesn’t increase like dynojets do. This means it doesn’t appear to make the car look as powerful due to the steady rate of acceleration)
Click here to see Video

Some other action (650+ whp supra, 460 whp mustang cobra, 500 whp red supra)

Click here to see Video

I will try to post up more videos soon, just busy with everything in the world right now.

I must give many thanks to a lot of people. I started this project on my own, but since have teamed up with Stage 6 Motorsports in august, and the whole team there has really been a great help and support. People I owe thanks to (besides the owner of the vehicle): Stage 6 Motorsports staff (Dwight, Ricky, Jim, Leland, and Travis), My family, Takahiro Nakamura of Mitsubishi Japan, Andrew Man of the UK, Nick Ponder of warehouse motors, Dennis Eusebio for the photography, Steve from VT, Andy Chan from speed element, Amber, and Stevo for the videos.

Regards,

Mase
Stage 6 Motorsports

Old 02-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, nice.. happy valentines day
Old 02-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project FQ-340 (Mase)

SICK build!!! nice write-up also. I am sure the customer will be more than happy with what you have given him.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:52 PM

Sweeet
Old 02-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project FQ-340 (BoostedEG6)

[Edit] That is some love when the car owner lets you build it how you want it.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice man.

That car was very well built, that power band is awesome.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project FQ-340 (American.Graffiti)

monsterious
Old 02-14-2007, 05:07 AM

Default Re: (93turbo16)

Great build, great power band
Old 02-14-2007, 05:36 AM

Default Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very nice man.

That car was very well built, that power band is awesome. </TD></TR></TABLE>

...and dont forget the all wheel drive. this car has to rip.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:00 AM

Default Re: (pheurton-skeurto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pheurton-skeurto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

...and dont forget the all wheel drive. this car has to rip.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't forget.. i drive one every now and then

makes it all the more impressive.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice. The GT35R seems to be the best option on the 4G. I can't wait to see the vids when I get home.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NICE!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Project FQ-340 (markaria)

supra and evo was a gooood race! sooo close
Old 02-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project FQ-340 (bnut510)

when u dyno the thing, it seems right when u go WOT at 25-3000RPM, the 35r just starts doin its thing
Old 02-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project FQ-340 (93supercoupe)

holy hell that video and car kick *** hard. thank you.
btw, does that Supra constantly shoot a flame from simply power or does it have something to make it do that?
Old 02-14-2007, 07:45 AM
KOBE IS GOD

Default Re: Project FQ-340 (93supercoupe)

Powerband looks great.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bad ***

are the calipers in back acutally bigger?? i see they are 10 pot in rear and 6 in front

Old 02-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project FQ-340 (Mr.OB*GYN_Rhett)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.OB*GYN_Rhett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">holy hell that video and car kick *** hard. thank you.
btw, does that Supra constantly shoot a flame from simply power or does it have something to make it do that? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nitrous maybe I dont know.

Regardless you posted a video of the car you built loosing to a supra, that takes class! Nice car.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:05 AM

Damn hella fast EVO, but I love the supra flames. Not just when shifting but during the whole run. Nice video and nice job on the build. Not a honda/acura, but I can appreciate a well built car for sure.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job Mase....its incredible what the right combination of parts is capable of...nice car!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: (Teglove2)

thats bad ***. g/j man.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

awsome
Old 02-14-2007, 08:32 AM

Default Re: (boostedcivicsir)

what a shitty tuner/builder ....
Old 02-14-2007, 08:33 AM

Looks like it's time for a roll cage. And something to protect the full cell.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rondigs)

That is a very trusting owner! Looks like a good decision on his part.

Quick Reply: Project FQ-340