Notices

Project Blue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Project Blue

Originally Posted by blitzman
I might go back to him or go to a different tuner, but if I thought the car was fast when I drove for the first 1200 miles then I was wrong. It now scares me as well as it scares the other drivers, the way it pulls you forward and almost feels as if it want to jump side ways.

My builder said he'd be happy to over torque the head bolts but he used the torque spec included with the ARP bolts, there was also mention that ARP now make different ones in silver!
You don't over torque ARPs. They either work or they don't. Go by the instructions when using the specific lube. Oil uses a different torque spec.

Being "gentle" about installing ARPs, doesn't help their purpose for your engine. If they or you were that scared, you should have stayed stock head bolts.

Don't change then out for silver... Just leave them and keep going. Get some good knock resistant fuel and head back when you've gotten used to the car more.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went back on the dyno today and before starting the tuner did notice the play with shaft on the 5858 but we got on anyhow, after few runs we got 443 hp @ the fly and 367 hp @ the wheels around 22psi, any higher and the car started to miss fire so we stopped to change the plugs and try again.

New plugs in, and trying to boost again we heard some noise and afterwards car started to white smoke. After checking the shaft play became so bad we found that the blades were rubbing against the housing so we called it a day. Eventually turbo died not less than 5 minutes me leaving the tuner. Time for a new turbo ...

Old 04-27-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by blitzman
I might go back to him or go to a different tuner, but if I thought the car was fast when I drove for the first 1200 miles then I was wrong. It now scares me as well as it scares the other drivers, the way it pulls you forward and almost feels as if it want to jump side ways.

My builder said he'd be happy to over torque the head bolts but he used the torque spec included with the ARP bolts, there was also mention that ARP now make different ones in silver!
I know this is old, however...
No. you don't overtorque them. It would have been fine anyway. Coming in silver means nothing, since you couldn't see them.

I'm sorry that your turbo died, although not surprising, sadly. Hopefully, you'll stick to Garrett or BW this time around, run proper water lines, and have better advice on the proper size.