Project Big Block Update....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Big Block Update....

I had the first oil change yesterday. It had about 150 miles on it with the Non-Detergent oil. I was glad to see that stuff go as it scared me putting it in it.

The magnetic drain plug had very very little on it as far as metal goes. I really expected more. The oil was nasty dirty though. Glad to ditch it.

I have had a slight front seal area oil leak since day one as well (I know, just my luck) nad it seems to be getting a little worse. I am losing some oil in the dipstick level and I think most of it is from this but still burning some as well.... I think What are some others here as far as oil using on new engines? How long did it last? I know it isn't good but what is it hurting if it doesn't seem to be coming out the exhaust? (blue smoke as I have none now. I did for the first about 20 miles bad but it got better and better until there was none at all that I can see out the tailpipe that was "bluish").

Coolant level seems to stay constant. No "using" that I can see. Will the plugs show if it is using coolant (headgasket leak)? I assume yes, but have toa sk. Obviously I know it won't if there is a leak somewhere but I don't see any leaks of coolant.

The other leak I had last week was mysterious, as it was a lot of fluid that turned out to be tranny fluid. Came from the tranny seal on the drivers side. Turns out the axle wasn't locked in all the way....at least I think cause I shoved it in more and it is fine now. I never had issues before this either.

That is all for now. Thanks for looking.
Oh, it has about 150-160 miles on it.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Big Block Update.... (ladysman)

The best way to tell if you have a headgasket leak is oil in the coolant. You can also try a compression and leakdown test.

As far as burning oil with new engines, mine didn't burn any after the rebuild. If you don't see any blue smoke ever, I doubt that you're burning any oil anymore. It's probably just the leak.

Good luck Brad, it always takes some time to work the bugs out of a new engine, you'll be fine.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Big Block Update.... (RyanCivic2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The best way to tell if you have a headgasket leak is oil in the coolant. You can also try a compression and leakdown test.

As far as burning oil with new engines, mine didn't burn any after the rebuild. If you don't see any blue smoke ever, I doubt that you're burning any oil anymore. It's probably just the leak.

Good luck Brad, it always takes some time to work the bugs out of a new engine, you'll be fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No coolant in the oil that I can tell. Won't it be milky? Thicker looking?

I don't notice any. We use to notice some when putting it under a load. It eventually got better and better. Just needed time to break in. The plugs were also oil coated. They are fine now.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think your engine is fine. But like ryan said do a compression test, or leakdown if you want to be accurate.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Big Block Update.... (Hammett)

I know compression is fine.

See here
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=894727
Old 06-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I just took the car out at lunch for about 25 miles. All is fine. Then upon accelerating, I notice a major squeal/squeak. When I get back to work to inspect, I suspect it is a belt loose. I still think it is the alt belt too loose but I notice there is oil underneath the cam gear!!! I will take a picture tonight but this means the oil leak at the bottom (front seal area) is actually coming from the top. What the hell is the problem? We replaced the damn cam seal with a new one!!!

God I hate cars.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the water will get in the oil to , an easy way to do this is let your car sit for awhile and drain the oil, because oil sits on water the water will be in the bottom of the pan, so water will come out then oil, i loose some coolant out of mine to but i think my heater core is leaking cus i dont smoke or have oil in the coolante or coolante in my oil so thats got to be my problem.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Big Block Update.... (B18C1CYA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C1CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the water will get in the oil to , an easy way to do this is let your car sit for awhile and drain the oil, because oil sits on water the water will be in the bottom of the pan, so water will come out then oil, i loose some coolant out of mine to but i think my heater core is leaking cus i dont smoke or have oil in the coolante or coolante in my oil so thats got to be my problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, you lost me as I have no idea why there would be coolant anywhere near where this is leaking. I am loosing no coolant. Just oil.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry i mis read your question
Old 06-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C1CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry i mis read your question </TD></TR></TABLE>

No problem.

It is either a cam seal or the valve cover gasket or???????????

Maybe a head gasket too.

I hate cars.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would have to agree valve cover gaskets have weird ways of making it look like other things are leaking
Old 06-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C1CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would have to agree valve cover gaskets have weird ways of making it look like other things are leaking</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man valve cover gaskets are hard to screw up though.

I will pull the cover off and timing cover to see. Damn thing will have to sit until then.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your right but with the luck i have on cars i think almost any thing can happen, my valve cover is leaking i think i used to much hondabond in the corners of the cam caps and it did seat right on mine and it looks a little wet, i am really beging to hate working on cars lol
Old 06-22-2004, 09:45 AM

i hate to burst your bubble but your car is not a big block!!

sorry try again!!
Old 06-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Big Block Update.... (H22isnotabigblock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22isnotabigblock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hate to burst your bubble but your car is not a big block!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Big for a SOHC. Go away.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Big Block Update.... (H22isnotabigblock)

i know mine isnt ladymans is though i have a b series
Old 06-22-2004, 09:48 AM

u want a big SOHC 4 banger....check out a Starion. 2.5L, 8v, SOHC 4 banger.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a a cam seal oil leak had it for 2 years its very minor, I notice it leaks more when I am using synthetic oil, how much oil are you losing? I also had a leak from the turbos oil feed at the back of the block its not that?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Big Block Update.... (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a a cam seal oil leak had it for 2 years its very minor, I notice it leaks more when I am using synthetic oil, how much oil are you losing? I also had a leak from the turbos oil feed at the back of the block its not that? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, considering I have no turbo on the car, that isn't it. You can see where the leak is coming from here. I originally thought it was a front seal (oil pump seal). But now I don't know.

Old 06-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...that looks familiar. I doubt it is the same problem, but you might wanna check.

http://www.muller.net/sonny/cr....html

Sonny
Old 06-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sonny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sonny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Wow...that looks familiar. I doubt it is the same problem, but you might wanna check.

http://www.muller.net/sonny/cr....html

Sonny
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Sonny. I assume you changed all of it while the engine was in the car. Not sure I could put up with taking it out again. Man, what a freaking pain. It is a freaking Z6 oil pump....at least it is suppose to be.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, changed the oil pump while the engine was in the car. It was a hassle, but not too bad. The big pain in the *** was that on the D16A1, you half to remove the driver's side axle and intermediate shaft in order to drop the pan.

Sonny
Old 06-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sonny)

the headgasket is fine as we thought. Since the valve cover was off, I checked the head studs for the heck of it. Nothing moved.

I had 2 leaks just before we put the car on the lift. Tranny Seal and the mysterious cam gear oil leak. Well, here is the dianosis.

You can see the oil leaking. Well we wiped it a little but this is where it was coming from for sure. Nothing on the timing belt either.

And the best. You can see the slit in it. This wasn't from us getting it out as this is the back of the seal plus this was on the bottom where he pried the seal out from the front side.

And for the grand daddy of them all. We pull the driveshaft out and this is what we see.

Who is going to be the first to notice? :lol:

Anyway, it should be fixed by the end of next week. The mysterious squeaking noise turns out the be the POS brand new alternator I bought. I will be taking it back for a new one as well.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ladysman)

Damn Brad, all that is just flat out unlucky. What kind of alternator did you buy?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:55 PM

Default Re: (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who is going to be the first to notice? :lol:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that the retaining clip that's supposed to be on the axle?

-PHiZ

Quick Reply: Project Big Block Update....