Notices

probs with A/F in COLD temps?

Old 01-05-2004, 06:34 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default probs with A/F in COLD temps?

two of us are having the same problem.
Sat night we were coming home from races at about 2am or so. it was probably close to 30-35F or so. on my way home i noticed my A/F gauge was reading full lean. i could gas it and get it a bit into stoic, but only sometimes. for the most part it would stay at full lean, and occasionally raise one or two bars above. even when boosting it wouldn't move. i'm stumped. when i got the car home, i checked to be sure the fuel pressure was correct. it was. THEN i noticed the car idling with a lope @ 800rpm.
i drove the car today and it was FINE. went to Reilly's house.. on the way home it was kinda doing it again.
we both are running aftermarket O2 sensors, Hondata S200s... i dunno what else to list.
any ideas??

Modified by kaj at 7:50 PM 1/5/2004
Old 01-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: probs with A/F in COLD temps? (kaj)

What type of o2 sensor/guage? Also, does hondata use the ecu's air temp. compensation data or is there a user-programmable table?
Old 01-05-2004, 06:54 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: probs with A/F in COLD temps? (hpfsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hpfsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What type of o2 sensor/guage? Also, does hondata use the ecu's air temp. compensation data or is there a user-programmable table? </TD></TR></TABLE>

O2 is from kragen/pep boys, etc. only $40. i'm using an Halmeter AF30 and he is using an Autometer A/F gauge.
see, i was wondering about the air temp sensor too! if i'm not mistaken hondata uses all the stock equipment. it only adjust how it's used. i don't remember of hearing any way to adjust for air temp. maybe the cold *** air is throwing off the tune?
Old 01-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine would do the same thing..but..we found a bit of info when it did it on the dyno..see the stock o2 only has 0 to 1 volt output and if the car is running pig rich (as I think yours is) it will show full lean or dead rich..best thing to do is drive it and when the a/f gauge starts to act a fool again shut the motor down in the middle of driving (make sure to push the clutch in and put trans in nuetral) and check the plugs on the road side..Iam willing to bet your plugs will be jet black..hondata has a cold start inrichment that can be played with when the car is under normal temp to help that also do you notice a bit of a sputer or "bucking" when the a/f gauge acts up?
Old 01-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am hesitant to even acknowledge narrow band o2 sensor-equipped guages anymore. I used the Greddy a/f meter kit for some time then realized when I installed the FJO that I might as well have been tuning by feel. Like HH said check your plugs. Cooler air will cause your car to run lean not rich though, so there isn't any obvious reason for your car to actually be running different than normal (other than running a bit lean). I'd try to check your calibration with a wideband o2 when it is cold again or when your car starts acting up.... wait... does your car actually run different (other than the idle) or is it just that your guage is going haywire?

Modified by hpfsi at 7:21 AM 1/6/2004
Old 01-06-2004, 03:23 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

it seemed to run decent.. i didn't boost much 'cause i didn't want to kill anything. but the one time i did it seemed to be a bit low on power.
it has a weird stumble on the freeway when letting off a bit and adding a bit (i've found this to be true with all p-72 ecus), my friend has the same prob when is cruise control is on. .. so i'm not worried 'bout that
when my gauge acted up, the car seemed to drive fine in vacuum, i THINK run a bit weird at boost.... and idled at a nasty 800rpm when i got it home. sounded like i had v-8 cams in it. the WHOLE time my A/F meter red FULL lean.
then, the next day it was fine.. but that night it did it on my way home. today was fine, as well as tonight. it seems to be when it's parked outside in extreme cold (extreme here being 30F)?
so Reilly and i are trying to figure why our cars did this at the same time and why intermittently...
we're thinking hondata+big injectors+cold *** air. i don't really think it's a problem that will kill the car... and i'm not even seeing a way to fix it.... but we're very curious.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:25 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hpfsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Cooler air will cause your car to run lean not rich
</TD></TR></TABLE>

the meter was showing full lean, not full rich.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the meter was showing full lean, not full rich.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Word.

I'd just keep an eye on your spark plugs and watch out for symptoms of running lean. Compression/leakdown test never hurts.