Notices

Problems with MJM Auto Turbos. What are the truths about turbo oil requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with MJM Turbo's. What are the truths about turbo oil requirements?

My friend and I ordered 2 center cartridges from Anthony at custom coach. One 60/48, one 42/48. The 60/48 went on my friends car at the end of October. Everything was fine until we noticed that the turbo was blowing a ton of oil into the charge pipes. When I mean a ton, I mean oil sitting in the pipes. The feed line was a -4an with a .060" restrictor. Return line is 5/8" inside diameter line. Not kinked in anyway. Anthony contacted MJM and they said we would have to put a -3 line on it. We did and there is still oil coming out of the comp side.
The second cartridge we just put on this past weekend. It's on a d series. Turbo was primed properly, car ran fine until we did a boost pull and then the car started smoking a ton. We felt the shaft play and it was pretty severe.
So my friend and I just talked with Jason at MJM Auto Parts, Inc. and he said there would be no way 2 catridges could go bad and says it has to be oil related. At first he said the catridge has to be exactly straight up and down(I think garrett states up to 30*?) He also said to my friend the -3 line should have a restrictor in it because of the oil pressure on hondas. He said even on a d series non vtec they can see 70-80psi(the motor has plenty of miles on it too) Can anybody confirm this?
Then he went on to say how we have our oil pan tapped in the wrong spot. He said the bung needs to be on the shallow part of the pan because of how motors lean and it should be no where near the crank pulley(this was news to me). He also said because honda pans are so shallow even with the bung at the top of the pan the oil level can still be past it. I then asked him if he personally has taken a honda pan, put 3-4 quarts(whatever the spec is on a d or b series) and see how high the oil level comes up to. He said no. I said there is no way the oil could possible come up to the top of the pan. I then asked him why a ton of honda guys never have turbo problems with their oil pan taped in that spot. I have personally had 2 turbo setups, my friend 2 as well as how ever many people on this board that have their pan tapped at the same spot. Furthest up as possible on the big area of the pan. I'm ranting and need to go take my final now. If anybody can confirm this info I would appreciate it. We are trying to get this resolved and they said they won't warranty the turbo pretty much because we are at fault because of either oil line issues or dry running the turbo(which was no way possible we primed the turbo). Has anybody else had issues with MJM Auto turbo's?

Modified by 5thgencivic at 6:00 PM 12/9/2004
Old 12-08-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Problems with MJM Turbos. What are the truths about turbo oil requirements? (5thgencivic)

My MJM turbo took a **** too.. T3 .48/.60 It was on for 2 months before it started pissing out oil from between the turbine housing and center cartridge. It's also now leaking into the turbine housing and burning up in there a little bit.
Im running a AN-3 feed line with a 3/4" drain that has no kinks and the turbo is clocked perfectly vertical.

Modified by Slammd Sol at 4:08 AM 12/9/2004
Old 12-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Problems with MJM Turbos. What are the truths about turbo oil requirements? (Slammd Sol)

I had an mjm cartrige not work properly.

I think the wheels were out of balance because we tried it on 2 different cars and it showed weird stuff on the dyno.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with MJM Turbos. What are the truths about turbo oil requirements? (legendboy)

hmm, that's 2. Anybody else? Thanks.

Nate
Old 12-08-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Problems with MJM Turbos. What are the truths about turbo oil requirements? (5thgencivic)

i had a FEW MJM's go to **** on me

mostly turbos purchased through down 2 turbo

i had two t3t4/s shafts bend on me
one just randomely bent

the other the compressot nut shot off and bent the shaft

thats 3 MJM turbos that went to **** for me.

popped on another. in 4 months that **** leaked oil like crazy

it was on my customers car ( gunmetal_tegra)

**** MJM !!

btw they tried to get out of the wararnty saying the car wasnt properly tuned and prob backfired and the backfiring caused the nut to come off. blah blah blah blah ..

they talk a lotta BULL.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with MJM Turbos. What are the truths about turbo oil requirements? (project dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
they talk a lotta BULL. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yupper. That's 3. I know there must be more. Keep em coming guys. Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up
Old 12-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a MJM turbo as well. my buddy and i both bought one at the same time. i had problem with my engine so i cant tell if it was the turbo or not

i did send it back to them because i had no smoke on my motor before i had that turbo. and i did with it.

they claimed they tested it and the seals were fine. they also said they would replace them anyway, i dont know how to tell if they did or not so that's iffy.

anyway i have not run the turbo yet since i got it back from them.

my buddy has his runing at 18psi with no issues at all. so who knows.

there customer service is horriable and they gave me the same bull when i called about the oil pan, and i did not know how to hook anything up and blah blah blah.

is there anything we can do about these people.

platinum.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Problems with MJM Turbos. What are the truths about turbo oil requirements? (platinum00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is there anything we can do about these people.

platinum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

boycott?
Old 12-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgencivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> At first he said the catridge has to be exactly straight up and down(I think garrett states up to 30*?) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Garrett states 15* from vertical in one direction or another, but I know plenty of people running 30* with impunity.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgencivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He also said to my friend the -3 line should have a restrictor in it because of the oil pressure on hondas. He said even on a d series non vtec they can see 70-80psi(the motor has plenty of miles on it too) Can anybody confirm this? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've seen 70 psi before on a Z6 in the higher revs. It's a typical B-series pressure, too.

Modern Garretts may or may not "need" a restrictor... the bearings are set up so that the feed holes are so tiny you don't need one. I'm a big fan of checking my oil pressure at the turbo inlet so I don't waste time ******* around - I'm the only person I know who does. $20 for a Grainger mechanical gauge, a T, and some -4 line. I fill my Homeboy Depot "-4 AN" *cough* 1/4 flare *cough* to 1/8 NPT adapter that screws into my turbo with brazing rod and use an assortment of numbered drills (#48-#58 courtesy of Asheville's own Nuts & Bolts) to adjust orifice size until pressure is ideal.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgencivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Then he went on to say how we have our oil pan tapped in the wrong spot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Having a nice, big drain and a good drop immediately below the CHRA is more important than the locale it reenters the oil pan at. I recommend 3/4" drain and no smaller - I've run into problems with good cheapturbo.com units smoking a little with 5/8", and the problem is solved by upgrading to 3/4". Corkshit Baloney's "Maximum Boost to my Wallet" did a disservice telling ppl 1/2" minimum.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with MJM Turbos. What are the truths about turbo oil requirements? (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Corkshit Baloney's "Maximum Boost to my Wallet" did a disservice telling ppl 1/2" minimum. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, that is the funnest **** i have heard all day..

that brings some light to this shitty thread.

MJM

platinum.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with MJM Turbos. What are the truths about turbo oil requirements? (platinum00)

Damn, and -10 is only 1/2" inside diameter..

I screwed up and thought it was MJM Turbo's when in fact it was MJM Auto Parts, Inc. in Buhl, AL. Looks like they already have a complaint filed with the BBB and I just filed another one...
Old 12-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what is is a 3/4 12 an or something

platinum.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:48 PM

i bought a turbo from down2turbo and i'm ready to install this weekend, i hope mine dosn't crap out in like 2 months
Old 12-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with MJM Turbos. What are the truths about turbo oil requirements? (evosol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by evosol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bought a turbo from down2turbo and i'm ready to install this weekend, i hope mine dosn't crap out in like 2 months</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you bought it from down2turbo it should have a 90 day warranty...

At least that is what is stated in all of the auctions....

Old 12-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgencivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn, and -10 is only 1/2" inside diameter..</TD></TR></TABLE>

-10 = 5/8".

(-X AN)/16 = Y"

Old 12-11-2004, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with MJM Turbos. What are the truths about turbo oil requirements? (J. Davis)

I musta measured my -10 line in a hurry
Old 12-13-2004, 08:09 PM

Same problem here guyz. I bought my turbo over the summer on ebay from "down2Turbo", put it on a month ago with an oil line kit from stealth mode performance( i think its a 4AN feed line). Turbo looked beautiful when i got it, no shaft play at all. Put it on the car, primed it properly, started the car, let it run for prolly 10-20 minutes, took it for a spin, noticed some smoking, thought it was impurities in the DP and excess oils burning off. Got a mile from my buddies house and i couldnt see behind me (keep in mind i didnt bring the revs past 3 grand, prolly not past 2,500). got home, emailed "Down2turbo" he said i need a 1/16" restrictor. So I had that next dayed from ATP(33$). Put it in and I still had the same problem. took the turbo off and saw a **** load of built up oil in the DP(after the flex pipe only) and inside the oil housing. There was also a bunch of side to side shaft play after no more than 50 miles! sent it back to jason he rebuilt for 110$, just got it today. He said one of the "piston rings" moved nasty and was in the way wrong spot(I'm not sure what he was talkin about cuz i never took apart a t3, only a t25 and the closest thing to a piston ring i saw in there was a snap ring, so that doesnt say much). Anyway, looks good, no shaft play, freshly rebuilt. im going to reinstall the turbo next week sometime with the oil restrictor in place. hopefully jason comes through this time and built me a good turbo, i just wish his turbos would perform as good as they look!

Chuck
Old 12-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00BoostedD16)

So, the restrictor from ATP will save the turbo?

Will it make that big of difference?

It would suck if not having a small inexpensive part was causing a lot of these turbos to fail...

Why are these turbos so sensitive to oil pressure?
Old 12-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00BoostedD16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> sent it back to jason he rebuilt for 110$, just got it today.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

So they didn't replace the turbo under warranty?
Old 12-13-2004, 08:21 PM

when i talked to "down2turbo" he told me that i was getting way too much oil through the 1/8" fitting, so he said buy the 14$ restrictor, which will put the oil through a 1/16" hole and it will fix the problem. So didnt work, i emailed after i told him to rebuild my turbo and asked how many PSI my turbo should get and he said at max 45 PSI. I also asked him if i should get some sort of pressure gauge and regulator and he said the 1/16" fitting should be all that you need.

Hopefully it works!
I would recomend the fitting to anyone, i dont think it could hurt your turbo.....

let me know what you guyz think
Old 12-13-2004, 08:23 PM

turbo wasnt under warrenty because it was after 90 days. although thats shady because it was evident that the turbo was hardly used based on the exhaust housing having little to no carbon build up. If this turbo is bum im going to be extremely pissed.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

what the hell does mjm stand for
Old 12-13-2004, 08:29 PM

Dunno the what the name stands for, was talking to "5thgencivic" and he convinced me that I shouldn't have had to pay a cent for my rebuild. I emailed Jason to see if he will do whats right and refund my money. If he doesn't I'm going to join the others and file a report on the http://WWW.BBB.ORG website. If anyone else would like to join us feel free, website is above.

chuck

Modified by 00BoostedD16 at 1:20 PM 12/14/2004
Old 12-14-2004, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to go ahead and order a restrictor right now...

It can't hurt, and if $14 is going to save my turbo, then count me in...

Quick Reply: Problems with MJM Auto Turbos. What are the truths about turbo oil requirements?