Notices

Problem with wiring/tuning

Old 05-12-2002, 07:15 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with wiring/tuning

I swapped a fully built B18A with a turbo in my '99 Civic Si! I'm still using the Si harness. I've had some troubles with the AEM unit I purchased for my set up and I'm thinking that it might be due to the harness. The AEM is 99 Si specific. Here's a problem I encounter, I was getting the car up and running with the stock computer and things went fine, kinda. I was able to start the car and get it to idle. I proceed to get the AEM up in running, well I started with the programing, but couldn't get things going, so I called AEM and had to do a little data logging, then send the info to them(AEM). Well I got a response stating that the computer was looking for a crank sensor and since the first gen B18 doesn't have a crank sensor. So I had to swap some wires on the distributor, namely the TDC and CYP wires to get a reading off the cam(?). So I tried to get the P&P up and going again yesterday, but nothing. I'm having issue where I can't get spark now. So am I wasting my time with the harness? Should I get the LS specific harness? What if any wiring needs to be changed. I'm not a wiring genious so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Later Allen
Old 05-12-2002, 08:41 PM
sgT
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with wiring/tuning (abraunb16)

The problem is in the ECU.
Apparently its looking for the CFK sensor, which a B18A wont have unless you
put one there. I know on the honda ecus that doesnt cause a problem.

You arent using a b18a distributor are you? If you are, a lot of the sensors are
different between the pre 92 distributors and post.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:54 AM
New User

Default Re: Problem with wiring/tuning (sgT)

No I'm using a 96 up LS Distributor. The crazy thing is the stock ECU will fire and idle/run the car. I just can't get the AEM to get spark, so it got me thinking that I might need to go through the hardness and repin it or check for potential problems. I also have a chance to get a last gen DFI, my thinking is I can hardwire it in(well have someone else hardwire it in) to avoid any of the problems. Let me know what you think. Thanks again for the help. Later Allen