Notices

Problem w/ 99 boosted Civic... won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem w/ 99 boosted Civic... won't start

I have a friend whose sister drive a boosted Civic. He told me to post this up on this forum cause he had no idea what can be wrong with the car. (side note: he was a honda guru with his own car and now he changed over to mitsu and thinks he owns the ****** streets, VERY COCKY) So as with this attitude he said that all he wanted me to do is post this up so that's what I'm doing...

the car dosn;t start i did these test. i have spark, fuel, and compresstion (around 170) and let me know what what they say this is for honda 99 civic si this is wired problem and the car was running fine and we just moved from garage to outside and then the car dosn;t start that all to it. just post that and they know what is wrong with i can find it out but i am very busy i don;t want to go thourgh any ways if u can just post that will be cool

Some information that I know is that it has a Drag Kit and runs on around 3-4psi. The car isn't pushed hard at all. What do you think the problem is according to his instructions
Old 12-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the cam timing to see if it jumped..this would explain the low compresion on all cylinders it should be over 200 ....

spark plugs may be badly fouled out ..may have weak spark

tell your friend to learn to speak english
Old 12-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ANY MORE HELP
Old 12-26-2005, 12:19 AM

compression is 170? stock pistons? ..
Old 12-26-2005, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all stock internals
Old 12-26-2005, 12:26 AM

compression seems way too low.. check the timing and plugs
Old 12-26-2005, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (andysila)

as far as compression is concerned it maybe it wasnt done right ( i didnt do mine right supose to do it at wot when the engine is warmed up all teh way) plus as long as all of them are the same thats the important thing because it may just be that the guage he has reads low. When my car wouldnt start it was the main fuel relay, not sure what it is about it that wont let the car start, but after i changed it it was right as rain
Old 12-26-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Re: (clemsonteg)

you know this isnt too far fetched but being that the car is boosted maybe one of the piston rings might have blown if the compression was low to begin with... just food for thought....

Modified by Drkaccrd at 1:00 PM 12/26/2005
Old 12-26-2005, 09:55 AM

did you make sure to disable the fuel AND ignition?? I forgot to the first and second time... there goes my ignition coil.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D@nnY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the cam timing to see if it jumped..this would explain the low compresion on all cylinders it should be over 200 ....

spark plugs may be badly fouled out ..may have weak spark

tell your friend to learn to speak english </TD></TR></TABLE>

I remember this one, 2 days before I got deployed to Iraq I tried to finished building my motor. car would not start so I had to tow it home. then the whole year I spent in Iraq I wonder what the problem is. turned out I had it set at bottom dead center, the cam timing was completly off, compression was low as hell, adjust the timing, and the care fired right up, I was releived.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Drkaccrd)

[QUOTE=Drkaccrd]you know this isnt too far fetched but being that the car is boosted maybe one of the piston rings might have blown if the compression was low to begin with... just food for thought....

one piston ringland blew and all cylinders have 170??? dont think so

check the cam timing...
Old 12-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright i'll tell my friend that hopefully that is the problem
Old 12-28-2005, 10:09 AM

seriously I said that because unfortunately it happened to me...so ah it is possible... i had close to 170psi across the board give or take +2 -3 on a couple of cylinders and the engine cut off when driving normally (it is boosted by the way). it would turn over but not spark... turns out cylinder #3 blew a piston ring..... I did all the other check s mentioned in this post prior to finding that out..
Old 12-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Drkaccrd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drkaccrd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">seriously I said that because unfortunately it happened to me...so ah it is possible... i had close to 170psi across the board give or take +2 -3 on a couple of cylinders and the engine cut off when driving normally (it is boosted by the way). it would turn over but not spark... turns out cylinder #3 blew a piston ring..... I did all the other check s mentioned in this post prior to finding that out..</TD></TR></TABLE>

the motor getting spark has nothing to do with the piston rings...

if one cylinder is bad it will not cause low compresion on all 4...period
Old 12-29-2005, 07:43 AM

okay .....i'll try to explain this again... when your engine makes that sound of turning over.....like when the the battery is going dead... but there is not sufficient spark to actually start the engine up ....if the ringland from a single piston blew from overboost lets say and if compression is low enough suffecient spark cant be achieved therefore it wont start.... now do you see what im saying? Ask any real mechanic they'll tell you that scenario is totally believable....