Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

 
Old 02-24-2019, 10:21 AM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Daffy_ed9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maintal, Hessen, Germany
Posts: 12
Default Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

Gents,
I'm from Germany and currently facing second time the same issues.
Maybe u have got an idea where to search for:
Specs:
B18c6 with sleeves 82mm
Wieso low comp pistons
Eagle rods
ARP rod / head studs
Garrett GT3076 turbo

Car is doing almost 420 hp and runs pretty strong.

After 4k km the first engine started to smoke blue and consume oil.
First inspection showed a pressure drop in cylinder 3 cause of wear in the sleeve.

Engine was rebuilt and got oversize pistons and was bored / honed
In Addition a new Honda oil pump and new oil squirters were installed

2k km after the rebuilt the same issue occurred again.
There is massive wear on one of the piston making the p2w clearance pretty wide.

Nothing fancy happened, even the Videoband did not recognize anything strange.
What would u search for in the first step?

Video can be found on this link:

Link
Daffy_ed9 is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 02:04 PM
  #2  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,086
Default Re: Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

Originally Posted by Daffy_ed9 View Post
Gents,
I'm from Germany and currently facing second time the same issues.
Maybe u have got an idea where to search for:
Specs:
B18c6 with sleeves 82mm
Wieso low comp pistons
Eagle rods
ARP rod / head studs
Garrett GT3076 turbo

Car is doing almost 420 hp and runs pretty strong.

After 4k km the first engine started to smoke blue and consume oil.
First inspection showed a pressure drop in cylinder 3 cause of wear in the sleeve.

Engine was rebuilt and got oversize pistons and was bored / honed
In Addition a new Honda oil pump and new oil squirters were installed

2k km after the rebuilt the same issue occurred again.
There is massive wear on one of the piston making the p2w clearance pretty wide.

Nothing fancy happened, even the Videoband did not recognize anything strange.
What would u search for in the first step?

Video can be found on this link:

Link
Are you following manufacture piston/ wall clearance specs? What are you doing for proper engine break -in? Fast break-in or slow break-in method?

what's the purpose of the car? This looks like engine assembly issue

TheShodan is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 05:33 PM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Txdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,544
Default Re: Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

Cylinder wall problem, rebuild, same problem again.. Static variable here: crankshaft. Check main and rod journals for #3 I bet something is out of round causing the piston to beat the **** out of that cylinder
Txdragon is online now  
Old 02-25-2019, 12:32 AM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
1HGEJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 566
Default Re: Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

Originally Posted by Daffy_ed9 View Post
Gents,
I'm from Germany and currently facing second time the same issues.
Maybe u have got an idea where to search for:
Specs:
B18c6 with sleeves 82mm
Wieso low comp pistons
Eagle rods
ARP rod / head studs
Garrett GT3076 turbo

Car is doing almost 420 hp and runs pretty strong.

After 4k km the first engine started to smoke blue and consume oil.
First inspection showed a pressure drop in cylinder 3 cause of wear in the sleeve.

Engine was rebuilt and got oversize pistons and was bored / honed
In Addition a new Honda oil pump and new oil squirters were installed

2k km after the rebuilt the same issue occurred again.
There is massive wear on one of the piston making the p2w clearance pretty wide.

Nothing fancy happened, even the Videoband did not recognize anything strange.
What would u search for in the first step?

Video can be found on this link:

Link
Wer hat den Motor abgestimmt? und welchen lambdawert bist du gefahren unter vollast? was war kolbenspiel?
1HGEJ2 is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 10:37 AM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Daffy_ed9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maintal, Hessen, Germany
Posts: 12
Default Re: Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

Originally Posted by Txdragon View Post
Cylinder wall problem, rebuild, same problem again.. Static variable here: crankshaft. Check main and rod journals for #3 I bet something is out of round causing the piston to beat the **** out of that cylinder
piston 2 wall clearance was set to 0.0035

interesting point with the crankshaft,
crank was only polished in machine shop, maybe sth is wrong on the crankshaft

Daffy_ed9 is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 12:44 PM
  #6  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,086
Default Re: Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

Originally Posted by Daffy_ed9 View Post
piston 2 wall clearance was set to 0.0035

interesting point with the crankshaft,
crank was only polished in machine shop, maybe sth is wrong on the crankshaft
not if it was just a polish. Did your p2w cleanse match with piston manf. Spec or similar? You never named the manf. Of the piston
TheShodan is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 12:41 AM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
1HGEJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 566
Default Re: Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

Is matze from neptune ur tuner?
1HGEJ2 is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 AM
  #8  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Daffy_ed9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maintal, Hessen, Germany
Posts: 12
Default Re: Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post
not if it was just a polish. Did your p2w cleanse match with piston manf. Spec or similar? You never named the manf. Of the piston
Those are wiseco pistons, so the p2w clearance is within their spec

I will remove the crank and rod to get them checked in a mashine shop
Daffy_ed9 is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 12:06 PM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Txdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,544
Default Re: Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

Originally Posted by Daffy_ed9 View Post
Those are wiseco pistons, so the p2w clearance is within their spec

I will remove the crank and rod to get them checked in a mashine shop
Try to post up pictures of your main and rod bearings for the #3 journals.
Txdragon is online now  
Old 03-03-2019, 01:24 PM
  #10  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Txdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,544
Default Re: Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

Any update on this?
Txdragon is online now  
Old 03-06-2019, 01:09 AM
  #11  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Daffy_ed9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maintal, Hessen, Germany
Posts: 12
Default Re: Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

engine is going to be pulled on friday.
Will update then
Daffy_ed9 is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 01:15 AM
  #12  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Txdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,544
Default Re: Problem with sleeved B18C6 running on GT3076

Originally Posted by Daffy_ed9 View Post
engine is going to be pulled on friday.
Will update then
I had not thought about it at first, but, did you use the same rods from the first time? After you rebuilt. May be a problem with rod 3. Beat up pin bushing, rod bent/warped. If you got new ones and that same problem happened, I'd still stand on the crankshaft then.
Txdragon is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: