Notices

Preparing D16 for boost.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing D16 for boost.

I have a 95 Civic EX Coupe with a D16Z6 that I am trying to build the motor to prepare for boost. Please don't take these questions below as a noob... I have been looking at doing this for quite a while and only recently did I get the necessary funds. I made the questions simple to be easily answered, not because I don't know what I am doing. I will not entertain flaming!

It seems as though people forget two very important things when answering me.
1) I have roughly $3000 into my COMPLETE performance suspension package - Including a Quaife LSD.
2) I have a Hondata S300 with GEARING DEPENDENT boost control enabled.

There are obviously other modifications, but are currently irrelevent to these questions.

<U>Relevant Details:</U>
* This will be a STREET CAR mainly that will see (at the most) one or two auto-x days and maybe a drag day or two.
* I only want to run up to 93 octane.
* Money is <U>OF NO CONCERN.</U> &lt;-- Please don't make me repeat this.
* I would like for it to pull all the way to redline (approx 8000 rpms). Not necessary, but a wish. (Basically, I want to have the fastest street drivable car as possible with this SOHC.)
* I want to do this one time, reliably, the correct way, the first time.
* I want to keep my AC/PS.

<U>Simplified version of Plans:</U> &lt;-- Don't worry about the details
* Full motor build from valvetrain to balanced crankshaft.
* Turbo

<U>Questions:</U>
* Necessary to sleeve? Adds to reliability... gives room to grow...
* What should my HP/TQ goals be given numbers 1 & 2 above? (I have a good idea, but want to know what others think.)
* Is there any better turbo for me than the GT2871R?
* Correct manifold to use knowing that I want to keep AC/PS? Cast - like InlinePro or Drag, or Tubular Log, Mini Ram, or Full Ram (spoolinperformance makes a full Ram that is AC/PS compatible.)

Thanks for your LEGITIMATE responses.

Modified by peasly23 at 5:06 PM 11/8/2006
Old 11-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Preparing D16 for boost. (peasly23)

If money is no object I would set my sights high and aim for like 30 psi of boost and 400+ hp on race gas.

Get a topmount AC/PS compatable manifold. I believe they make these. If not get a ramhorn. Don't get a cast one, get tubular. Theyre expensive but you say money is no object so have at it.

For a turbo if you want to go all out get a gt28r or 30r. Should be fine for high power levels.

Get it sleeved if money is no object. Bensen sleeved block is what I would go with.

Get the head ported and polished (since D series heads don't flow for ****)

Def. get a cam either the ZEX cam or maybe even a Crower or something of the sort along with springs and titanium retainers.

Get a Kteller or similar 3" exhaust.

And I'd get CP pistons and Pauter rods with ARP2000 rod bolts.

Possibly run a small shot of nitrous as a pick me up (possibly a 50 shot)

Get everything balanced and polished all up and get it your ecu chipped and tuned on something like Hondata (if money is no object) or possibly crome pro if you want to save a few bucks. Get it dyno tuned and let us know what you make.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Preparing D16 for boost. (delslo93)

Well, thanks for some of that... but really I just want the questions listed answered. Try not to concern yourselves with the motor build details.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*Necessary to sleeve? Adds to reliability... gives room to grow... if you want reliablility with high HP ... YES

* What should my HP/TQ goals be given numbers 1 & 2 above? (I have a good idea, but want to know what others think.) 300whp on pump, 400 + on race

* Is there any better turbo for me than the GT2871R? tons of options here, SC50 is a great turbo for the street and will net you alot of power

* Correct manifold to use knowing that I want to keep AC/PS? Cast - like InlinePro or Drag, or Tubular Log, Mini Ram, or Full Ram (spoolinperformance makes a full Ram that is AC/PS compatible.) manifold brand does not matter, as long as its top quality and AC/PS compatible. RamHorn and TopMount style are you best bet

platinum.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Preparing D16 for boost. (platinum00)

ttt
Old 11-09-2006, 06:24 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like somebody doesnt want to think about their build themselves.

there are so many options for you.

sleeve-well, yeah, i'd do it,if you've got the money, but it is kinda silly on a SOHC, but kinda not silly too. i just blew out a sleeve from what i believe to be bad gas. engine ran strong w/ SRP's/eagles and 20-22 psi (big turbo, nice kit) for 15k or so though.

manifold-hell, the highest HP d16 yet (i believe) ran a DRAG cast manifold.

good luck with the build.