Notices

Precision turbo ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precision turbo ?'s

Ok I have a precision turbo sc61 with a t4 housing. It's been sitting for a while cause I blew the teg. Well I got everything back running now and I noticed on my outside flange on the exhaust side it was leaking oil so I have a open down pipe and there was oil dripping out of it. So my question is did the seals on the turbo blow and now it needs a rebuild? And where can I find a rebuild kit for the turbo? I have searched and haven't found one yet. Thanks
Old 03-19-2011, 12:47 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Precision turbo ?'s

That could mean a lot of things. it may not be "blown" because of oil sealing rings. contaminated oil, aluminum shavings killing the journal bearing etc. A blown engine could cause a turbocharger to be damaged as well. In your case, its best to have it sent for analysis, and not just look for a rebuild kit. There could be damage to the actual exhaust shaft or cartridge in a way that a rebuild kit doesn't account for.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I guess I should have better explained myself sorry, I didn't blow the engine I just blew the head gasket and the wanted to go a different route. So I rebuilt it and the turbo sat up for about a year inside my house covered up and wasn't moved at all. Now if I was to disassemble it what would be some signs to look for? I have never taken one apart and am wanting to learn more about the insides of one from personal experience not just books, and/or not to say this in a bad way but have it sent off and someone else do the work for me if you know what I'm saying. Ok I like your thought on the metal shavings but I don't think, no, can almost guarantee it isn't that I honestly believe it's the seals from setting up so long the having pressure all of a sudden and blowing.(also I have no oil restrictor where can I look up that information on them and purchase one?) but back to the point I would also, just for my information, find the web site that sells the rebuild kits. Thanks for everyones input in advanced.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking the turbo apart and looking for yourself is not hard if u know what to look for. Books are great tools for learning and I highly recommend s.a. design performance how to Turbo real world high-performance turbocharger systems by jay k. Miller foreword by gale banks. It has alot of in depth info on turbo anatomy, selcting a turbo for your engine, boosted engine building tricks, tuning turbo engines, rebuilding, and failure analysis of turbos. I blew my first turbo up two years ago used this book to take it apart and diagnose the problem then took it to a shop to have there opinion which they said I was absolutely right on what caused the failure. Turbos are sometimes hard to diagnose kinda like what came first chicken or the egg? In my case I originally thought a foreign object entered the intake and broke blades however after diagnosing it using this book I found that oil starvation. Caused bearing failure which led to wheel contacting the housing and blades breaking last not first. The failure was not my fault as a shop used teflon on the oil inlet which is a nono and I was unaware. If ur gonna diagnose it urself start from the outside look for the obvious such as wheel contact on either housings, obstructions in the oil passages/ lines. Once u thoroughly look it over start taking it apart. Once u remove the shaft and compressor wheel look at the shaft for abnormal wear/ discoloration such as the purple burnt color from high temps, and look at your thrust bearing which is most commonly called the oil seal. Yes its actually a bearing and seals oil out by the thrust of boost pushing against it hence thrust bearing look for the same dicoloration abnormal wear cracking or marring as this would be the part that would cause oil leakage. Hope I helped a little
Old 03-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I understand what your saying and explaining I already have a book by Corky Bell called Maximum Boost that I have already read but am re-reading it now to see if I may have missed something. Now does anyone know where to get the rebuild kit as to I am very limited to resources in my area because I live in the backwoods of Alabama and alabama doesn't really have the turbo scene here. We are just very limited I have two shops I can call Monday but I was really wanting to know if there was a website that I could get the rebuild get from.
I just want to learn about the inside of a turbo more in depth to get all the knowledge I can about them and there function.
That book you mentioned can it be found on amazon or eBay?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say either or. Better chance of finding it on amazon. Google the name and the number of the book is sa123. If ur looking to see the insides of a turbo this book is full color with pics on every page and has great cut away views of all the turbos components. Depending on the damage (if any) to ur turbo will determine wat u may need. If ur wheels contacted the housing due to bearing failure like mine did u might as well chuck it in the garbage cause the cost of buying a new chra and wheels and housings will surpass the cost of a new turbo. U need to actually figure out what u need first then buy a rebuild kit or new center housing forr it. I would start by calling precision since its a precision turbo. Their website is precisionturbo.net or call em at 219-996-7832. They should be able to give u whaat u need. Some other places u might look into in your area would be city diesel inc. In decatur alabama, test calibration co. Inc. In mobile, turbo diesel & elec. Sys. Inc. In birmingham, and united turbo and fuel in birmingham they are all turbo distributors and should be able to get rebuild kits as well.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, yea I found the book on amazon for like 18 bucks so I'm ordering it now and when I get it in I will start reading. I really appreciate your help and time. I'll update this post as I get more in depth to the problem and maybe post some solutions and pics to help anyone else with this problem. Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by honda_fan06
.... So I rebuilt it and the turbo sat up for about a year inside my house covered up and wasn't moved at all. ..... Ok I like your thought on the metal shavings but I don't think, no, can almost guarantee it isn't that I honestly believe it's the seals from setting up so long the having pressure all of a sudden and blowing.
I think you might be over-thinking this a little. Turbochargers don't "blow seals" from sitting. These oil rings are not unlike a piston ring in which they seal as heat and pressurization occur. If you've set the turbo in a vertical position over a year, and there was still oil within the channels of the cartridge, it is very likely that oil will seep past that sealing ring into the turbine housing, giving the appearance that something is wrong (Hell, you even see that in new turbos in their boxes). That doesn't mean that its "blown". You may be taking apart a turbocharger for no reason. I understand the need to be able to view and diagnose problems (that's how we all learn,) but if its your only one, I'd advise against it, as you may be doing more harm than good. Find a destroyed turbocharger for $20 or so and start experimenting from there.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok very well said but with it on the car( I don't have a tune yet and don't run it long at all due to that reason) it was leaking oil out of the downpipe and it was very black. It smokes horribly bad and that was just my first concern. What do suggest I do try to tune it with it smoking that bad( I'm doing a street tune not a dyno) and see if the oil eventually burns out or what? I'm just not very knowledgeable on the insides of turbos as I have never seen one. What should I try?
Old 03-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the turbo is on the car now and its smoking I would not suggest trying to tune and or putting load on it. If it were residual oil it would burn out within ten minutes of idling or so. Easiest way to check for signs of failure is with the car off. Grab the end of the shaft on the compressor wheel and check for shaft play. Wiggle it up and down, in and out it shouldn move more than a couple of millimeters. Push it up and see if it binds when trying to turn the wheel this would indicate housing contact and would not be good if u boost up and it hits the housing at over 100000 rpms. If the turbo is on the car and it thblows u can. Cause damage to the engine as well from pieces of the blades coming off
Old 03-19-2011, 06:50 PM

You hadn't stated that the turbocharger was still on the car. Don't tune it with anything. remove the turbocharger, send it to have it at least diagnosed; find an older turbocharger to play "doctor" with.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok sorry I didn't clear that up that it was on the car. I will try those things you suggested but it hasn't even ran 10 mins total time on the car yet. So if I check all those conditions and nothing is out of spec I guess you could say then what's my next option. Take it off the car and tear into it so to speak or what. And if I send it in to precision what kind of cost am I looking at just to test it?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 PM

No one can know the cost until it is fully inspected. It could be from the placement of the turbo, the angle of the cartridge, too much oil pressure, a lot of things. Make sure there are no 90 degree fitings on the oil return.. etc. There are a LOT of other things you need to check and consider (as you seem to forget to mention a lot in these last few posts) before "tearing into" anything. I think you are just eager to pull it apart. If you do , and you're wrong, it may cost you more than if you sent it to get diagnosed from the beginning.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh trust me I'm not eager to tear it apart I just want it running right lol, and I don't have and 90' angles on it anywhere, from reading the previous post above if it is just oil seeping through from sitting up would it hurt to try to let it run at idle for about 10 or 15 mins to see if stops smoking? I mean I know the dangers of it but like y'all said before it may be the oil just seeping from setting up and the car hasn't been running 10 mins yet at all. So should I try that to see if the oil burns off the exhaust or does that sound cool?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:40 PM

If this was freshly rebuilt, sure. Make sure more than anything you check to make sure your oil pressure at cold start is no more than 80psi, otherwise, you'll need a .060" or .065" restrictor to back that oil pressure down.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok yea I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the car I'll try it tuesday when I'm off and let you know the results. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most turbo places that sell or work on turbos will diagnose them for free if u send it in. Cost of getting it rebuilt shouldn be any more than 500 dollars and that's only that expensive if u damage both wheels the thrust bearings failed and its in really bad shape.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since you are close do you recommend a place to send it to? I mean I'm going to try to diagnose it first befor I send it in but I have never sent one off before so I was just wondering of a good place that is reputable.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turboauto in nashville is very reputible. They are the ones I took mine to to confirm that the teflon tape is what caused my failure. They diagnosed my friends turbonetics to4e for free. He was overboosting running too high of psi for it and wore the bearings out which led to his car smoking and the wheels had started hitting both housings. They offered to rebuild it with new housings new wheels bearings and a 360 degree thrust bearing for him to run more boost on it for 400 bucks and that included assembly and rebalancing the unit.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok wow would you by any chance happen to have there number or website address so I could look into them further?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nm I googles them lol and found it . Thanks I'll keep ya updated Tuesday when I get to work on it.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Precision turbo ?'s

Does anybody know who sells Legit precision turbo kits for d-series?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Google is your friend www.precisionturbo.net
Turboed are really not made for specific cars you have to know what your looking for.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Google pops up a couple different numbers theirs is 6153836242. Or that's what it was last I had to contact em.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, put it this way i have done searches, i understand there arent really set ups for specific engines, eg; speedfactory used to sell a set up for d-series, now the have one for b and k-swaps, ie;turbo, manifold, down pipe i'm sure you know where im going, i know what is needed yet instead of buying parts for it from more than one place and spending more, i for shoppers ease and good old fashioned thriftieness i would like to as mentioned above, would like to purchase these things in one shot if possible, and given the fact that this is the meeting and place of exchange for most if not all things honda, i thought i would try my luck( as so aptly put by someone search and you shall find) i thought i would expand my search here.

Quick Reply: Precision turbo ?'s