Notices

Power Capability of this turbo..

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Capability of this turbo..

I did some work for a friend (installed a clutch) and in trade he gave me a Garrett turbo. I'm just curious if anyone can maybe assist me in seeing what the pwr capability is of this turbo. I've searched my butt of trying to find it so it must be a hybrid or something. I have plenty of pics.. So if you need them please ask.. Here are the specs of it:

Garrett T3/T4
57 Trim
.50ar/.48ar

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. I know its somewhat a newb post so please forgive me. So if the turbo is not able to reach my pwr goals on my new build it will be up for sale . I had it looked at by our local shop and by a company called Diesel Injection and they both said the turbo is in perfect condition and has absolutely no shaft play.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Power Capability of this turbo.. (SlowSOHC-T)

Some of course will show the MAXIMUM power this is capable of, but I'm a touch bit more conservative due to the importance of longevity. In that configuration, about 420whp at the most, because of that smaller turbine housing. That is about 18-19psi or so on most B-series vehicles. That doesn't mean you should max this turbocharger out. It will be prone to failure from the abuse, and you will have higher Intake air temperatures because of its lack of efficiency at that point.

There's nothing wrong with using it, just make sure it FITS HIS NEEDS for the application.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power Capability of this turbo.. (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some of course will show the MAXIMUM power this is capable of, but I'm a touch bit more conservative due to the importance of longevity. In that configuration, about 420whp at the most, because of that smaller turbine housing. That is about 18-19psi or so on most B-series vehicles. That doesn't mean you should max this turbocharger out. It will be prone to failure from the abuse, and you will have higher Intake air temperatures because of its lack of efficiency at that point.

There's nothing wrong with using it, just make sure it FITS HIS NEEDS for the application.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you so much for your response. Basically maxing the turbo out or being atleast with in 80% of its capability was one of my worries. My goal is 400 on just boost and than maybe more if I add a bottle down the road. I'll probably just sell it and go with the 63ar I've been looking at. Thanks again..
Old 11-11-2007, 07:05 PM

At that point, I'd look at another turbo entirely. Simply changing the A/R housing helps a little, but not the best way. You may want to look at my Silver Surfer, that makes 400whp at about 16psi instead, and will fit your current downpipe.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power Capability of this turbo.. (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At that point, I'd look at another turbo entirely. Simply changing the A/R housing helps a little, but not the best way. You may want to look at my Silver Surfer, that makes 400whp at about 16psi instead, and will fit your current downpipe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That turbo is very very nice. Also I got to looking at my turbo and what I've been told is if the balancing bolt on the compressor side is a 12pt nut than its a Ebay turbo or not a real Garrett as they are 6pt. Do you know if this is correct? My turbo has a garrett exhaust housing but nothing on the intake said. Do you know of any other way to verify this? As I plan to now sale the turbo and don't want to mislead anyone...
Old 11-13-2007, 05:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowSOHC-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That turbo is very very nice. Also I got to looking at my turbo and what I've been told is if the balancing bolt on the compressor side is a 12pt nut than its a Ebay turbo or not a real Garrett as they are 6pt. Do you know if this is correct? My turbo has a garrett exhaust housing but nothing on the intake said. Do you know of any other way to verify this? As I plan to now sale the turbo and don't want to mislead anyone... </TD></TR></TABLE>

No No. That's good. Your buyer will thank you for it. Sometimes some e-bay turbos (not necessarily new) will have real garrett exhaust housings but have the ebay compressor side and cartridge. Unless the compressor cover is shaved, or think that the unit was a custom hybrid, you should see a small plate on the back of the backplate, and SOME sort of Garrett scribe on the compressor cover. Otherwise, without looking at the material used on the compressor wheel, and tearing it apart, it can be difficult to tell. Others may have suggestions.