Notices

post your daily driver air to water cooled set ups!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default post your daily driver air to water cooled set ups!!

post your set up and how well they do as a daily driver!!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: post your daily driver air to water cooled set ups!!

Originally Posted by allhonda
post your set up and how well they do as a daily driver!!
here is my set up' but i have not driven it yet.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/my-first-honda-build-custom-afi-turbo-kit-etc-2456946/
Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 PM

anybody with these set-ups???

Last edited by allhonda; 01-07-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 PM

hey that thing is sick!!!!! so its going to be a daily driver?? i figured thats a radiator for the coolant in that intercooler and the resevior on the side there??
Old 01-06-2009, 01:14 PM

anybody else?!?!?!?!
Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 PM

bump!
Old 01-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most people dont run water to air coolers on DD because of heat soak and the cost of doing a setup like that.....
Old 01-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you looking for something specific?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by srmofo
most people dont run water to air coolers on DD because of heat soak and the cost of doing a setup like that.....

care to fully explain why water to air would NOT work as good as AIR to AIR
Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by boostedcivicsir
are you looking for something specific?
well the air to water set-up is so efficient when done properly, that wanted to find out if anybody had any luck running it as a DD. maybe i could try it if it ever work, i do know about the heat soak problems, just wanted to see if anybody ever got around it
Old 01-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stage 3 jack roush mustangs use an A to W intercooler everday so i think its safe to say that heat soak isnt to much of an issue.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrbsponge
care to fully explain why water to air would NOT work as good as AIR to AIR

when you run water to air intercooler its in a closed system, basically you keep pushing the same water through the cooler, and after a while that water starts to get heated, so its no longer cooling the air as effiecently, and on a DD the water would eventually get so hot it would act as an interheater...basically it would start to heat the charge instead of cooling it....

now you might be able to overcome this by installing a seperate radiator on the intercooler system so it has a way to dissipate the heat it collects from the compressed air...i dunno its not worth it to me to figure it out, just run a properly sized and QUALITY air2air and you'll be just fine...and it will be a helluva lot cheaper....

the reason this doesnt happen to air2air intercoolers is because you always have fresh cool air blowing through it
Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony413
stage 3 jack roush mustangs use an A to W intercooler everday so i think its safe to say that heat soak isnt to much of an issue.
yeah but how many of those mustangs do you see everyday, and how many of those take off on long trips for the weekend only to get stuck in stop and go traffic on the way home.......ohhh and whats the price of one of those again.....your comparing apples to oranges here buddy....Its not that its impossible, its just not practical for an everyday DD....Im not familar with that mustang, but I would almost guarantee that they have some way to dissapate the heat (i.e. extra or larger radiator)

looked it up for ya....basic core component cost is $21,000...not including car....seems like alot of money to only make a claimed 417hp.... im not saying they are not quality, but cmon its a supercharged v8.....we can pull that out of our turbocharged 4cyl at less than half the price including the cost of the car or damn near
Old 01-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by srmofo
yeah but how many of those mustangs do you see everyday, and how many of those take off on long trips for the weekend only to get stuck in stop and go traffic on the way home.......ohhh and whats the price of one of those again.....your comparing apples to oranges here buddy....Its not that its impossible, its just not practical for an everyday DD....Im not familar with that mustang, but I would almost guarantee that they have some way to dissapate the heat (i.e. extra or larger radiator)

looked it up for ya....basic core component cost is $21,000...not including car....seems like alot of money to only make a claimed 417hp.... im not saying they are not quality, but cmon its a supercharged v8.....we can pull that out of our turbocharged 4cyl at less than half the price including the cost of the car or damn near
come to orlando they are COMMON. on any given day i see atleast 10 sc mustangs, in a week i may see around 50 they are not rare around here at all just go to autotrader or craigslist and look around my area its littered with them. heres a local sellers of nothing but mustangs http://www.blacksautomotive.com/home1024.asp

also to make a good A2W set-up you're going to look at spending $500-$1000 its not really that much more compared to a a2a intercooler. basic items you need are: pump, intercooler core, heat exchanger, resivour, AN fitttings and lines. i may have left some things out but those are the basics
Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My SVT Lightning seems to do a dandy job towing my car to all the races in the east with a liquid intercooler!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm I be damned...came across this with a quick google search less than 500$...these things have really come down in price since I last looked at one
http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...5388c9836ca476
still doesnt sovle the problem of getting the heat back out of the water, either way Ill stick with my $300 precision that works just fine and let you guys sort that out....on a race only car it might be a different story
Old 01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like i said its not that much more price wise. with a a2w set-up all you gotta do at the track is drop some ice in the water and you can get very very low IAT's.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont they have a heat exchanger anyway?

unless you mount it all in the trunk or somthing, then i could see it be used for daily use.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol the heat exchanger is like the size of a oil cooler or tranny cooler. it doesnt need to be too big because it has air flowing through it like your radiator
Old 01-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am in the process of building a "A2A2W" setup...LOL

Basically, I still have a FMIC, but then I have a bullet style A2W before the throttlebody. All this in hopes to achieve ambient air temps under almost all conditions. I hate it when I would do 3 to 4 consecutive pulls high boost pulls and the turbo/engine/FMIC would heatsoak and air temps would stay well above ambient no matter what you do. Only if you cruise the car for like 30 mins then the air temps would get back to where they should, and this would happen regardless of what size FMIC I'd run. It's just natural heatsoak and it's hard to prevent, from turbo getting hot, engine bay temps, radiator fans hot air around, turbo sucking in air that's a lot hotter after being heatsoaked, etc

My new setup would have a 4-6L reservoir with a big lid, capable of dumping in a big solid piece of ice into there. I want a slow release of ice water, hence, the large solid piece of ice. Basically, with the air-to-air FMIC, it takes most of the heat strain from the A2W, and the ice water should easily last for hours of street /spirited driving and maintain ambient, if not, slightly lower than ambient air for long periods of time.

The A2W water pump would also be triggered to run only when the car is above a certain RPM and TPS... Basically, I do not want the water to circulate when the car is just cruising, to prevent wasting my water "reserve" and heat up the water unneccessarily. All this to achieve that "cold pull" when we would hop in our car for a drive, and the "first pull" we do always feels so damn good.

Imagine a rush of cold water just when you are doing a hard pull to keep the temps close to ambient, but no problems of heatsoaking, or adding an extra radiator, etc... when running a full A2W setup

Even without adding ice to the reservoir, if your car was parked over night, the water inside the reservoir will always be ambient temperatures. It takes a lot longer to heat up sitting water inside a reservoir, and it would take easily 30+ mins of engine bay heat and some level of heat transfer from the A2W cooler (although pump is not circulating, there is still water sitting inside the core that gets heated) to get the water inside the reservoir to climb above ambient. So anytime on that trip, if you decide to do a few high boost pulls, the water is still cool and ambient, thus, help cool down the air charge.

I will be doing this setup in about a month... Soon to have some dynos and IAT logs to share as well
Old 01-07-2009, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ you always have the best wild and crazy setups cant wait to see i am intrested in more info as well
Old 01-07-2009, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boner_Ben
My SVT Lightning seems to do a dandy job towing my car to all the races in the east with a liquid intercooler!

now hold on a sec guys, was the OP talking about a supercharged or turbochraged application? I could see it working on a SC because the IAT and operating temps of a SC are much lower than a turbo....and you guys keep giving me examples of SC apps, so show me a DD turbocharged A2W intercooler....why dont turbo diesels have A2W coolers or 18 wheelers for that matter, those things cost a quater million so cost shouldnt be an issue....
Old 01-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey tony, what if you also wrapped some of the heat reflective stuff around the A2W cooler to also slow down the heat soak
Old 01-07-2009, 11:23 AM

yeah i say the same thing!!! everybody keeps coming up with SC!!! i was talking about turbo from the begining. by the way reary good info you guys bringing to this threat, we have somerealy smart people here at honda-tech!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:50 PM
mh
Honda-Tech Member

here is my setup

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...639&highlight=

using windshield wiper fluid for cooling. and and just a smal radiator. ( used to be a heater in my other civic)

iat is not a problem on the street, migth be when circuit racing. but if the car was intended for that i'd use a bigger radiator.

Quick Reply: post your daily driver air to water cooled set ups!!