Notices

Is this possible or totally unheard of ? Engine probs once again

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this possible or totally unheard of ? Engine probs once again

OK wellSun night when i fired it up everything was fine with the motori havent driven it more than maybe 100 ft yet. so i parked it in my garage and since Sun night it lost a ew quarts of oil. I filled the oilback up and fired the car up to se eif it would leak out of and where from.and low and behold somewhere in the back of the block its leaking from and like pouring from the DP i think ? i shut it off and it was dripping right around the Dp area. and i fingered the exhaust and low and behold oil in there too. I checked everything and cant figure where its coming from.Could it be possible at allthat the oil is pouring out the head and thru the manifold and into the turbo then out the exhaust?Or is this unheard of ? The plugs were wet too, but i think its just unburnt fuel ? im at a loss here. I dunno what else to do. im sooo stressed.im close to putting the car on Ebay tonight.

Lemme know if anyone has any ideas.the turboshould be mopre thna ok , **** theres only prob like 8k on it.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is this possible or totally unheard of ? Engine probs once again (itr206)

So you are saying it lost oil just sitting there?
Old 01-14-2004, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this possible or totally unheard of ? Engine probs once again (Kwuaymaikrup)

U are not being clear, at first u are saying its in the back of the block, than its in the exhaust, than it's dripping where the exhaust is????? Is there oil inside the DP?? Or is the oil leaking from the back of the block onto the DP??
Old 01-14-2004, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this possible or totally unheard of ? Engine probs once again (leadfoot78)

You've got to figure out if the oil is coming from the block or the exhaust first, then there might be some stuff to suggest looking at.

Only way it could come from the exhaust is maybe from the turbo because of a blockage in the oil return thus pushing the oil past the bearings and out the exhaust side right?

Old 01-14-2004, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Is this possible or totally unheard of ? Engine probs once again (itr206)

Is your car smoking a lot? Your seals on the turbo could be blown, which would release oil to the exhaust. However with that being said, I don't know about buring a whole quart of oil though. Or it could be that the head is leaking oil through the manifold, through the turbo, into the exhaust.

Pull off the exhaust mani and check to see if there is oil.

Old 01-14-2004, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this possible or totally unheard of ? Engine probs once again (ekb18c)

maybe the headgasket is on backwards& upside down. that would make the oil spew like no other out of the back of the block....
Old 01-14-2004, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know you recently installed a new shortblock. Did you have both the head and blocks' surfaces checked? I skimped on this, and was spraing oil at the firewall because of a surface that was not flat. Took EVERYTHING apart, had everything surfaces, and BHAM, took care of it
Oh, and just because you used the correct bolt removal pattern, doesnt mean the head didnt warp slightly during removal(that sounded mean, but I wasnt trying to be). So, my lesson for the day is, ANYTIME you remove the head, youd better have a least the surface checked by someone with precision instruments.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this possible or totally unheard of ? Engine probs once again (2.2Lcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.2Lcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> maybe the headgasket is on backwards& upside down. that would make the oil spew like no other out of the back of the block....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats a good idea. I would check that too since you said your oil return line wasn't kinked
Old 01-14-2004, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oil filter loose?
Old 01-14-2004, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turboteggy)

what about the oil sending unit maybe you it cam loose. Well actuall you said it leaked a lot out while it was sitting there so its obviosly proubably coming from the oil pain. Becasue all teh oil goes to the oil pain while the motor is resting. so I don't think you could loose a quart. Have you taken your oil pain off recently? I would wipe everything off really good and fill it back up and if your oil pan is leaking you could be loosign alot of oil. Also after you check the oil pan if its leaking I would go ahead an check the Sending unit also these things always back off.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:00 AM

Default Re: (Styler93GSX)

your just having bad luck with your car man.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Re: (Styler93GSX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Styler93GSX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about the oil sending unit maybe you it cam loose. Well actuall you said it leaked a lot out while it was sitting there so its obviosly proubably coming from the oil pain. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if it was leaking while sitting it has to be comming from the oil pan. check the gasket and make sure the pan is tight as well as drain plug
Old 01-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (30psi Teg)

ok i will be more specific. it is leaking somewhere from the back of the block and it is leaking from the front of the block from right around where my DP vband is.

the oil pan gasket is a possibility, but im pretty good wit them , never had thme leak on me before.
the headgasket on upside down/backwards is a deff no. only becuase we did that one time before and i know how much oilit shoots out and how much pressure behind it.makes a huge mess.

What i did notice soo far is a little bit of oil dripping from the oil filter area, its tght though so i dont get it. i know it isnt losing that much fromt here.
All the fittings i plugged the back of the block with i used a decent amount of teflon paste. I plugged up the holes for the PCV box and thne put the Endyne breather kit in and checked those and dont see any leak rom those.
in the front it almost seems like the oil is coming right out of the head into the manifold.i didnt take it off yet to see, but thats my guess. What would causew it to do that ? the valves areadjusted like dead on, matter of fact i did them a tad tighter ebcuase of the beating this head will take.

Im at a loss here.im gonna snap the DP off soon and check to see if theres oil buildup in there.if so i deff know its spitting out of the head
Old 01-14-2004, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itr206)

I just don't see how oil could make it's way all the way through Tinker's manifold. I mean that thing is like a water ride at a theme park. Was there a puddle under you car after you noticed it leaking? Maybe the old oilfilter gasket is still on the b;lock and you put the new filter on top of it? I have heard of this happening but have never witnessed it myself. I say you and a couple buddies go out there, start the car and look in all possible areas for a leak. A couple quarts is ALOT and would be pretty obvious as to where it is coming from. Good luck.

-Ryan
Old 01-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kwuaymaikrup)

i have done that already too with the oil filter. but i check thme alot closer now. i know thats not the case here either. yea there was a puddle under the car before i even started it up.the puddle was at the back of the block . thne i filled the oil back up to see where it was leaking from. thne i noticed it coming from the turbo area when i fired it abck up. so its deff leaking form front and back somehow. I willprob mess with it this weekend. I cant screw with it on the weekdays. thne i dont concentrate on my school work .
I hope to god its something stupid.I just wanna drive my baby. i tok mytime with everything and made sure evreything was dead on to make sur nothing bad happens again . i just dont get it
Old 01-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the fittings for the breather kit. I know vic had a simliar problem with his leaking like crazy b/c of those fittings either not seating properly or something but he took the fittings out and no more oil leak.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (underpressure02)

So, was it the tuner or the builder?

Damn. Dude, I think you need to sell the honda and go over to reliable factory boosted power like an MKIV or something. Sorry to hear Pete.

Old 01-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Valveseals? If it is that much oil you should have blue exhaust smoke though.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this possible or totally unheard of ? Engine probs once again (Bnjmn)

i havent seen it smoke at all . idunno.
Dan your right. I think im putting the car on ebay this weekend. Im done with the headaches. I think im getting me an M3 or something and keeping it stock and getting out of the game. I have spent way too much money on cars and nothing to show for but headaches.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:57 PM

it's hard to get out of the game... good luck if u do.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (soundman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by soundman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's hard to get out of the game... good luck if u do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know i tried it before and got back in , but i said after the last blwn motor i was done. but i gave it one more try. im just done with modding cars i think . I have spent countless amounts of money. **** the money i spent on this car in the past year or so i coulda paid the car off at least 2x over. i just dont hve the time or patience anymore.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:02 PM

Default Re: (soundman)

he'll be back!!! mmmwwuuhhhaaaaaaaa
Old 01-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't get rid of it.. It will work out. Have you been able to find exactly where the oil is coming from? Put it up on stands and see if you can pinpoint it. It might be something simple that just got overlooked.
My camseal was leaking and we didn't realize it because the top timing belt cover was on... So we dropped the pan and pulled the oil pump off to reseal it. Finally we figured out it was the cam seal We also pulled the head off since we couldn't figure out why the motor was knocking/slapping(thought the machine shop bored the block wrong). turned out the timing belt was off a tooth Simple **** got the best of us But it worked out in the end.. Better safe than sorry. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Re: (5thgencivic)

If you just had the head at a machine shop there is a plg on the intake side which cant be seen with the manifold on. My machine shop left this plug out and me not even knowing it was there at the time didnt check it. But it dumped some oil. It is the main oil supply passage for the head. Look up above the oil filter at the bottom of the intake manifold and see if you see oil up that high
Old 01-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar situation. I was an idiot and connected my oil lines to the turbo backwards. I looked under my car after i fired it up and saw a huge puddle of oil. It was comming from the dp. I took off the dp and saw that it was the turbo. So, I destroyed the seals and wasted about $600 in about 5 seconds.

Quick Reply: Is this possible or totally unheard of ? Engine probs once again