Notices

Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (lawnmower)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (lawnmower)

Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (lawnmower)

Here's the deal. I've come up with a little Garrett turbo. The (wannabe) madd scientist in me has decided it would be hysterical to put this thing on my lawn tractor. And frankly, I don't know that I even care if it ever spins fast enough to actually build a lot of boost. It may not. But COULD work "in theory" if the exhaust pressure was good enough to get things spinning.

Briggs engine has no oil pump. Do you think it's possible to make some kind of closed loop circuit out of some kind of electric pump and storage tank to oil the turbo? Or maybe try and tap into the crankcase and siphon off some oil to some kind of external pump, to the turbo, and return it to the crankcase above the oil line.

I have no idea. Just sounds like a fun, "Tim Allen" style project.

The funny part would be to actually make the effort with some kind of little dinky intercooler on the front of the lawn mower... ...lol...

Open to any ideas that push this project forward!
Old 10-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (vectorsolid)

Just don't let me see that turbo sitting on dirty carpet...I might have to point that out to you.

You could do a remote or belt operated pump from a small sump and lubricate the turbo. I just think overall tuning and just getting the system to perform will be a challenge. Your gonna spend alot of money to end up with something really serves no purpose (oops...there I go again, giving you my opinion you didnt ask for). To each his own though.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (RC000E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just don't let me see that turbo sitting on dirty carpet...I might have to point that out to you.

You could do a remote or belt operated pump from a small sump and lubricate the turbo. I just think overall tuning and just getting the system to perform will be a challenge. Your gonna spend alot of money to end up with something really serves no purpose (oops...there I go again, giving you my opinion you didnt ask for). To each his own though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't think I don't appreciate that humor. Very poignant, nice work actually I might PM you about the other stuff, don't want to muck up what could be a fun thread.

I know it may not work, and I'm not overly concerned about the finances of it. It's the fun of the challenge! If it turns out that the majority feel it really can't be done well enough, I'll bail on it. I put a 32" lift, independent suspension and 4 wheel steering on my kids wagon (just short of a grand in parts and paint on that one). this is a project along those lines. The purpose to be, "self entertainment".

I was thinking along the same lines, pump with a pulley. Do they even make something like that, that would handle HOT oil? Not my area, I have NO earthly idea about pumps that would handle that kind of chore.

What about electric?

Modified by vectorsolid at 3:13 PM 10/29/2007
Old 10-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (vectorsolid)

yes.... you can use an electric pump (check out sts turbo) to feed the the turbo oil.

I would tap below the oil level and have a line going to the pump. pump to turbo inlet.....turbo oulet back to oil pan or t before the pump.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (jewjew bean)

keep in mind the pump will have to be gravity fed so it will have to rest lower than the oil level if that's possible.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (jewjew bean)

I think a better option would be to make some reservoir now that I think about it
Old 10-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jewjew bean &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes.... you can use an electric pump (check out sts turbo) to feed the the turbo oil.

I would tap below the oil level and have a line going to the pump. pump to turbo inlet.....turbo oulet back to oil pan or t before the pump.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the thoughts. What's an STS Turbo? Something off a car, a website? excuse my ignorance on that one.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just use a small pump and build a little resivour for it, thats the easy part.... i really wanna see this done....pics of the turbo? how many HP is the engine? riding lawn mower i hope....
Old 10-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check out this thread for info on the oil pump:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techbo....html
Old 10-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (B20luda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20luda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just use a small pump and build a little resivour for it, thats the easy part.... i really wanna see this done....pics of the turbo? how many HP is the engine? riding lawn mower i hope.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

18hp, opposed v-twin, L-head.

OR, and I've been thinking about this for a few minutes now. How funny to try and pop it on an old school mini-bike with a 5hp briggs engine in it. you know, the old mini-bikes from like the 60's and 70's. Hmmm.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jewjew,

You kind of reminded me of guys with a similar problem. The guys building homemade jet engines... htey need to oil that thing somehow.

I found this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/E8KR68DGLWEP28747V/
Old 10-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

carburated.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vectorsolid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jewjew,

You kind of reminded me of guys with a similar problem. The guys building homemade jet engines... htey need to oil that thing somehow.

I found this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/E8KR68DGLWEP28747V/</TD></TR></TABLE>

funny..... that's the same pump referenced in the link I posted
Old 10-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (2point2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">carburated. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, Hadn't given it much thought. Gonna be a lack of fuel, perhaps... BUT only if the boost is high. I think if we only generate like a pound or two of boost, it should work. I have no earthly idea though. Just a silly project. Not trying to get 50,000 miles on it. Maybe one or 2 laps around the yard.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jewjew bean &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

funny..... that's the same pump referenced in the link I posted</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wonder if a person could use something like a straight up Holley fuel pump for the oil? Petroleum based product, but warmer, and thicker.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vectorsolid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wonder if a person could use something like a straight up Holley fuel pump for the oil? Petroleum based product, but warmer, and thicker.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that pump won't work

this will work http://store.summitracing.com/...w=sku
Old 10-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (ATYPR)

I'll admit I don't know anything about turbocharging carburated engines, but I do have a lot of experience repairing small engines. I can almost guarantee that carburator won't hold up to any boost, things will break.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (ATYPR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ATYPR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that pump won't work

this will work http://store.summitracing.com/...w=sku</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yikes, $220 for an oil pump. There must be a more Ghetto-fabulous way to do the oiling. We just haven't stumbled on it yet. The Jet engine guys are oiling turbos for about $90 with that sureflo pump. I bet there's something cheaper, maybe a used something or other...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danmdevries &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll admit I don't know anything about turbocharging carburated engines, but I do have a lot of experience repairing small engines. I can almost guarantee that carburator won't hold up to any boost, things will break. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you feel will let go in the carb? Is it parts of the carb itself, the body, or internal bits? Not high boost, maybe TOPS like 6psi or so off one of those re-man' ebay garretts with the internal WG. Mind you, I don't think we're gonna get enough exhaust to actually build enough (if any) boost. I really have no idea. Just speculation and the fun of a "good guess"...
Old 10-30-2007, 03:05 PM

Heh, this "self entertainment" is a midwestern thing. When you get bored, you get bored. May I recommend cow tipping?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (Scheizty)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scheizty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heh, this "self entertainment" is a midwestern thing. When you get bored, you get bored. May I recommend cow tipping?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Myth, can't be done... Dang it...
Old 10-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A simple dry-sump setup can be cheap to make and it would work just fine. A little fab work and more fuel and you're all set

Happy boosting
Old 11-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no need; I have done this myself, and it worked on a pocketbike.

I have a tiny *** turbo... fits in my palm, the exhaust hosuing is removed, and a sprocket was welded to the exhaust shaft centered on it.

we pinched and welded the origional outlet flange tube, filled it with synthetic gear oil, working out the bubbles, then caped it off with a small air pocket up top for heat room, but not much heat will be generated on it...

then u just route the outlet to the head, and put a carb on the inlet
Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 PM

Maybe you could use the little tiny electric fuel pumps that are for carbureted engines. I think they only make like 5-psi. I'm sure they would pump oil at a decent rate also.

http://www.partsamerica.com/Pr...3339K
Old 12-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (JaredKaragen)

Yes I was thinking the same as Jared. Why does it even need to have flowing oil? The only reason is heat. This prob wont get that hot. Find the highest temp rated oil, like Amsoil and fill up the center section then cap it off. Change it often.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: (Muckman)

hahahaha

this thread delivers...

*subscribed*

Keep us posted buddy!

and if you end up doing this, please for the love of god make sure you get it all on video

Quick Reply: Possible to put a turbo on an engine that has no oil pump? (lawnmower)