Notices

Possible Other 500whp Build....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Other 500whp Build....

Puting together a nice litttle set up for his eg hatch, wonder if the motor w/ RIGHT tuning will hit 500whp race gas and 430ish pump gas... Any advise and help will be great...

SET UP _
81.5 mm stock sleeves GSR
Wisco 9:1 pistons
Eagle Hbeam rods (3/8)
ACL Bearings
ARP head studs
New Water pump
New Oil pump
GSR head
JE Intake Mani
Omni Valve springs
Omni Retainers
Hondata intake manifold gasket
880cc injectors

Turbo -
LSD Short Tubular Manifold
SC6152E
3" dp (open dp)
24x12x3 larger FMIC
2.5" piping
Apexi BOV
Tial 38mm wastegate
boost controller
Neptune w. Jason aka St00pid

It will be street driven daily w/ B16 tranny + OBX LSD
thanks for looking
Old 01-16-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Possible Other 500whp Build.... (spec_v_kid)

TTT
Old 01-16-2006, 07:11 PM

no one???
Old 01-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I hear Eagle rods are not a good choice for more than 400whp.....
Old 01-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible Other 500whp Build.... (simike)

762 WHP, eagle rods

580 WHP, eagle rods

595 WHP, eagle rods

565 WHP, eagle rods

605 WHP, eagle rods

Did the person that told you eagle rods are no good for more than 400 WHP also tell you the LS tranny and longer gears work great for turbos, that you should run really small cams to give you no overlap, and that you should probably not run vtec on a turbo motor because turbos don't like vtec?
Old 01-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible Other 500whp Build.... (tokes1320)

^^^ Thanks for saving me a trip to Evans tuning page and proving that quote terribly wrong
Old 01-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tokes1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">762 WHP, eagle rods

580 WHP, eagle rods

595 WHP, eagle rods

565 WHP, eagle rods

605 WHP, eagle rods

Did the person that told you eagle rods are no good for more than 400 WHP also tell you the LS tranny and longer gears work great for turbos, that you should run really small cams to give you no overlap, and that you should probably not run vtec on a turbo motor because turbos don't like vtec?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahhahahahahhahAHAHAHAH thats the best **** ive seen on here in long time hahah

Thank you Sir, Please sit down! hahahah
Old 01-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible Other 500whp Build.... (gdrum)

Actually I thought I heard it from Evans himself??? Maybe I am wrong? I will ask him again. Just trying to help..... Sorry for the bad info. Thanks for not flamming.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I myself have seen tons of high hp numbers from eagle rods, if my information serves me correct its the assembly/tuning that usually fails with those rods and not the rods themselfs.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible Other 500whp Build.... (gdrum)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gdrum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I myself have seen tons of high hp numbers from eagle rods, if my information serves me correct its the assembly/tuning that usually fails with those rods and not the rods themselfs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Improper assembly, and eagle rods of a few years back were shipped with smaller, weaker bolts from the factory. I havn't heard of any eagles breaking from too much power recently. I think there was a car on the AM forums that threw an eagle rod, but that was a 95mm stroker setup turning a lot of RPM's. Pretty amazing how few failures on them you hear about considering how commonly used they are on these forums.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There has been a ton of power made with these rods. But yeah Jeff does state that he doesnt like these rods very much haha.

"I really really dislike eagle rods. I have seen countless customers engine spin rod bearings due to the big end of the rod distorting under high rpm load. I personally would never put an eagle product in any engine that i built, including cranks...enough with the eagle rant."
Old 01-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what I hear Eagle rods are not a good choice for more than 400whp.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

whoever told you that is a Liar eagle rods will hold well over 600+ hp
Old 01-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible Other 500whp Build.... (Importordomestic)

Well, I pm'ed Jeff (Boosted Hybrid) about this to see if he or someone else gave me bad info. Jeff told me the same thing again and even had a recent story about a failure. I am not starting a debate, just trying to help out a fellow HT member.

BTW I run Eagle rods in my car. I found out they may not be the most reliable after I built the motor. So far so good, but time will tell.

I also sent Jeff a link to this post (his request) so he could throw in his .02.

Mike
Old 01-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eagle rods, in my opinion, are a sub-par product. In the links to the threads with the customers making big power, honestly, they got lucky. For all of the dyno graphs that you see me making big power on Eagle rods, there is at least twice that of horror stories that I have personally seen while tuning cars on Eagle rods. Obviously, these never make it to the dyno graph forum on my site. I have seen the big end of the rod stretch and spin bearings, or worse, having the rod cap pulled off the rod and having the piston smash into the cylinder head. If you do an FEA analysis of the big end of the rod, you'd clearly be able to see why it distorts and spins bearings. With a quality rod (like Manley or Pauter), I've NEVER had a single issue like I've experienced with the Eagles. I cringe every time I tune a car with Eagle rods because I don't know what will happen down the road to the customer's engine. The rods aren't the only Eagle product that have an issue. The cranks are just as bad, if not worse. What I'm saying is not fabricated or something I heard from my friend who had his brother's car tuned somewhere else. I've experienced this firsthand many times on my dyno. The only thing I can think of with the people who get lucky with the rods is that the quality control in that particular batch was good. A rod failure can ruin your crank, sleeve, and cylinder head. You can get Manley rods for about $300.00 more than the Eagle rods, which is a drop in the bucket when you are building your engine. Is it worth the little extra money now as opposed to a lot more later. Manley and Pauter have been proven up to 10-11K rpms and 40+ pounds of boost without rod failure or spun bearings. While I do have a few graphs posted of some high hp cars using Eagle rods, it's not something I'd recommend or even do for my own engine.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible Other 500whp Build.... (boosted hybrid)

What rpm do you usually see them breaking at?
Old 01-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible Other 500whp Build.... (SOHC_MShue)

It depends. I've seen it happen at 5,000rpm all the way up to 9,500rpm. I can't find any consistency in the failures.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same setup. 515whp at 25 psi.

stock sleeves, 81.5mm bore.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:57 PM

dammit, we should went w. manley... Thanks for the infos... I think we gonna do 450whp TOP on this set up, till we have more founds to build other motor w. better parts...

matt
Old 01-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Eagle rods, in my opinion, are a sub-par product. In the links to the threads with the customers making big power, honestly, they got lucky. For all of the dyno graphs that you see me making big power on Eagle rods, there is at least twice that of horror stories that I have personally seen while tuning cars on Eagle rods. Obviously, these never make it to the dyno graph forum on my site. I have seen the big end of the rod stretch and spin bearings, or worse, having the rod cap pulled off the rod and having the piston smash into the cylinder head. If you do an FEA analysis of the big end of the rod, you'd clearly be able to see why it distorts and spins bearings. With a quality rod (like Manley or Pauter), I've NEVER had a single issue like I've experienced with the Eagles. I cringe every time I tune a car with Eagle rods because I don't know what will happen down the road to the customer's engine. The rods aren't the only Eagle product that have an issue. The cranks are just as bad, if not worse. What I'm saying is not fabricated or something I heard from my friend who had his brother's car tuned somewhere else. I've experienced this firsthand many times on my dyno. The only thing I can think of with the people who get lucky with the rods is that the quality control in that particular batch was good. A rod failure can ruin your crank, sleeve, and cylinder head. You can get Manley rods for about $300.00 more than the Eagle rods, which is a drop in the bucket when you are building your engine. Is it worth the little extra money now as opposed to a lot more later. Manley and Pauter have been proven up to 10-11K rpms and 40+ pounds of boost without rod failure or spun bearings. While I do have a few graphs posted of some high hp cars using Eagle rods, it's not something I'd recommend or even do for my own engine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, ill never consider eagle products now!
Old 01-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible Other 500whp Build.... (HamiltonRex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HamiltonRex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wow, ill never consider eagle products now!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn that's kind of harsh. They are people with success with the cam gears, blocks, vac box, shield, etc.. Eagle rod are good for a mild build but just not anything over 450hp. Jeff didn't say that Golden Eagle the company is ****, just that he doesn't recommend the rods.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Possible Other 500whp Build.... (HamiltonRex)

I will definitely give a big to the Manley Turbo Tuff rods. Thats what I got rid of my Eagle's and replaced them with.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Possible Other 500whp Build.... (Da K00l Aid Mayun)

Too late now , I might have to keep it around 420-450whp range... OR Lower ....
Old 01-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whatever man. Im making 515 on my eagles DAILY driven. And im going for upper 600's low 700's on them in the next month or so. I know guys beating the **** out of them as well. im not revving past 9k so i dont know.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Possible Other 500whp Build.... (SPOOLINmatt)

hey, whats ur set up???
Old 01-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Edited yours to match mine, not much different.

SET UP _
81.5 mm stock sleeves LS BLOCK
JE 9:5 pistons
Eagle Hbeam rods
ACL Bearings
AEBS head studs
Stock as a Rock Ported B16A head
JG Edelbrock Intake Mani
880cc injectors

Turbo -
Neukin manifold
SC61 .63 hot .60 cold
3" dp 3" side exit
30x12x3 larger FMIC
2.0" piping
HKS BOV
Tial 38mm wastegate
Greddy EBC Spec B II boost controller
Uberdata

GSR Tranny with LS FINAL DRIVE AND QUIAFE!

Quick Reply: Possible Other 500whp Build....