Ok here is the deal...

The Parts:

B18B1
JE Pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP Studs
Cometic Head Gasket
B16A Head
T3/T4 Turbonetics <-Rebuilt 2 weeks ago.
Greddy Electrical Oil Pressure gauge.

The Possible Problem:

This motor burns some oil let me tell ya...every 300 miles or so it burns at least 2qts ! Since this block was semi-built it has done this (about 4-5 months now).

I use 10 w 30 Mobile 1, My Greddy oil pressure gauge, at idle when warm/hot, reads less than 1bar like dam near 0 ! Acts normal when going thru the rpm's or when the motor is cold. The sensor is mounted right by the oil filter by the way.
I have NEVER seen a leak anywhere on this motor ! The oil is changed at 2k regularly. Where the hell is it going ? My turbo recently was so coked up it dam near was seized ! I was told my oil lines were too big. Those have since been replaced with 3AN size. I think my return is BIGGER than that like MUCH bigger !!

When my turbo came back it smoked something fierce. ONLY at idle and when warm/hot !
I was told this was perhaps because the exhaust had excess built up in it somewhere...We checked the send/return lines to the turbo an they were fine...
No problem.

After a few days it did stop smoking at idle like POOF all better. I took a trip about 300 miles and to my surprise checked my oil before an after my trip..Before I was good to go. When I returned... 2-3qts LOW ! So WTF ? Also I never have seen a dummy light go off about oil an NO cels.
I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks.

Modified by AcuraFreak at 6:12 PM 4/23/2003
Old 04-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Possible Oil Consumptaion (AcuraFreak)

if you have never seen any leaks on or near the turbo my guess would be its on the turbo lines and the oil drains right onto the road. but im guessing you've checked and re-checked those lines. im not sure
Old 04-23-2003, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Possible Oil Consumptaion (smallttocs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smallttocs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you have never seen any leaks on or near the turbo my guess would be its on the turbo lines and the oil drains right onto the road. but im guessing you've checked and re-checked those lines. im not sure </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah we checked those. Should both lines be the same size or does it matter ? I was told it does..And I know my return line is HUGE just not sure of the actual size !
Old 04-23-2003, 03:22 PM

Does your car still smoke really bad? One of the seals in the turbo could be blown. Is the *** end of your car coated in oil ?
Old 04-23-2003, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Possible Oil Consumptaion (Diego Boost)

FYI. You wont get a CEL for low oil level. The sensor in the back of the block is actually just a switch....when the level is low--like damn near empty--it will illuminate the dummy light on the dash, not the CEL.

I would start off by doing a compression and leakdown test. Those will give you a better indication of whats going on inside the motor.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Possible Oil Consumptaion (93LSivic)

just a small chime about your oil return line. Yes it needs to be bigger the the feed line. It should be like a -10AN line.

You probably had excessive oil in the turbo using a -4 feed line. That in turn, probably ruined the seals of the turbo and the oil is blowing by the turbo into your engine then being burned up. Does you exhaust smoke alot?

Most likely need a turbo rebuild?
Old 04-23-2003, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Possible Oil Consumptaion (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just a small chime about your oil return line. Yes it needs to be bigger the the feed line. It should be like a -10AN line.

You probably had excessive oil in the turbo using a -4 feed line. That in turn, probably ruined the seals of the turbo and the oil is blowing by the turbo into your engine then being burned up. Does you exhaust smoke alot?

Most likely need a turbo rebuild?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not anymore not after the first few days after the turbo was ALREADY rebuilt an the seals were not bad just coked up ! It would only smoke at idle too. Never did smoke at normal driving conditions.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Possible Oil Consumptaion (Diego Boost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Diego Boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does your car still smoke really bad? One of the seals in the turbo could be blown. Is the *** end of your car coated in oil ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The turbo has recently been rebuilt...2 Weeks ago. It doesn't smoke anymore only a few days later after the turbo was put back on. But it still is burning oil. No oil at the rear of the car either.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do this, most oil leaks from the lines are only happening when there's a pressure going in. for example if your oil feed line is leaking, you will not see drops of oil on your driveway, sicne there are no pressure when the car is off.

What I always do to troubleshoot leak is this. Jack the car up high enough, clean everything under the car, DP, oil pan, everything...use water only, any other solvent may smoke like oil burning and can fool you. Then start the car and leave it at idle and get under neath your car. You will see if there are any external oil leaks from any of the lines, oil pan and etc.

if that's done, it's time to check internal leaks, do a leakdown test, a high leakdown will indicate worn rings and unproper install of the rings and it did not seated properly, causes you to burn oil. Check for nosies as well for worn bearing or tight clearance on them, they tend to burn a lot of oil as well due to un-lubricated friction..

stan
Old 04-24-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Possible Oil Consumptaion (Flamenco-T)

Hey Stan could you or Art do a leakdown/Compression test on my car for me ?
Old 04-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Possible Oil Consumptaion (Flamenco-T)

Hey Stan, your post should have a disclaimer at the bottom of it
You telling people to get under their cars while they are running without the use of jackstands and wheel choks

Hehe, j/k. Did you ever remember what you wanted to ask me the other day?
Old 04-24-2003, 05:43 PM

what oil did you use to break the engine in after the rebuild?
Old 04-24-2003, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Possible Oil Consumptaion (2kturboex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2kturboex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what oil did you use to break the engine in after the rebuild?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Normal Quakerstate 10w30
Old 04-24-2003, 07:21 PM

I think we might have the problem solved..thanks to Art an Stan...
We shall see soon if it's piston rings or valves... first things first....got some other issues to fix. Thanks guys for all the help an info. Keep it coming more heads the better ! Art an Stan uhhh an don't forget the chics will be on me as well... Let the freak-fest begin !