Notices

Possible ignitor problem? Or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible ignitor problem? Or something else?

This is the first sign of problems I've had with the car after 6 months boosted:

1. One day, totally out the blue, car starts running on 3 cylinders. Sorted itself out 5 mins later and ran fine all night.
2. Next day, car runs on 3 cylinders and doesn't sort itself out. Swapped ECU, problem goes away.
3. Compression test done on engine as I had to drive the car on 3 cylinders for 100 miles Compression test showed all ok. Distributor cap replaced.

Car runs fine for few weeks, covers maybe 2000 miles without an issue.

Then new symptoms, happening over a few months but now getting more frequent:

1. Occasionally cuts out on boost, like fuel or boost cut (now does this nearly all the time)
2. Occasionally won't start, cranks forever and a day but won't fire, or sometimes cranks real fast and won't fire. Accompanied by strong smell of fuel (now only starts maybe 1 in 5 attempts)
3. Under small amount of load, ie accelerating lightly from 3k rpm in 4th gear, the car jerks and stutters, wideband reads "Lean"
4. Latest event - tried to start car but its just cranking real fast, then it suddenly fired up and shot a big flame out of the turbo, burning the air filter.

Just heard back about the original ECU which I sent away to be tested. Apparently its all working and tested ok??

Thoughts:
Original ECU was not the problem?
Compression test has caused problem with ignitor? I read this on another post, is it a possibility? Not sure what the ignitor actually is.
Could it be a faulty coil - could this cause intermittent starting problems?

Please help! This car has been tuned and has been running fine for ages - I just don't know whats going on!

By the way its a B18C6 with 440cc injectors, stock fuel pump, stock internals, running Hondata, 4.5psi
Old 04-22-2005, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Possible ignitor problem? Or something else? (angela_itr)

Anyone? Sos there's a lot of info in this post but thought that better than just saying "my car won't start" !