Notices

Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Better than steak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone?

I was just wondering if anyone out there was able to idle big injectors without the IACV with some sort of standalone? If so, how??

art
Old 04-15-2003, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (Arturbo)

i'm using 850cc & Speedpro and mine steady idles at 900 rpm without an IAC. But when i slapped on the A/C and when the compressor kicks on... my car dies. One trick i did was set my idle to around 1300 rpm and when the compressor kicks on, it surges down to 900 rpm and stays there. i dont mind a slightly higher idle as long as my A/C works!

the way i made my car idle steady was having the right a/f, opening my TB, and messing with the injector opening time... seems to work for me.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (Arturbo)

You can do it art. It's just a matter of dialing in the fuel right and you might need to open the idle screw on the tb a little. When i had speed pro on my integra it idled great and there wasn't an IACV.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (tony1)

when i was hunting down the problem we had w/ a prelude idling, i completely took the IACV out of the equation, it still idled.....come to find out it was the EMS that was being gay.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (Mase)

This is interesting since I have been messing with my idle recently. Did you guys just unplug the IAC valve and leave it on the manifold?
Old 04-16-2003, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just wondering if anyone out there was able to idle big injectors without the IACV with some sort of standalone? If so, how??

art</TD></TR></TABLE>

you seen how chad idleed ours over there at speed work got the idle down better than what it was orginally tuned but still did good job wiht 1600cc injectors idled at 1500rpm
Old 04-16-2003, 09:19 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (b18bturbo)

I have MSD 870cc's and DFI 6.0. My shizzle idles fine without the IACV, as stated earlier, you did have to open the TB idle screw a lil more...
Old 04-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (SIXTYdashONE)

Awwww, man I feel sorry for all you guys that don't have an Autronic on your cars! lol

Ok guys check this out..........The Autronic software has a function called the Idle Ignition timing table which allows me to adjust the engine's ignition timing based on engine speed when the throttle is closed.
With this table I can actually dial in the timing perfectly so that it will idle normally with the throttle plate open the correct amount, and still maintain a smooth idle when the A/C or other devices are switched on.

The trick is that when you add timing, the engine will produce more torque, and that helps it keep the rpm steady when the load changes very slightly.....so what I do is set the timing to idle normally under no load, and then as the engine speed begins to drop because of load, I add timing, then take it back out as the engine speed climbs back up.
With practice I have learned to produced very stable idles on even the most radically cammed engines that are far more responsive than any I've done with an IAC.

Think about how much faster the engine reacts by doing it this way, instead of having the IAC create a controlled vacuum leak, and then try to compensate with extra fuel, then shut the air leak off when it gets too much and pull out fuel and on, and on in that cylcle.....

The real trick is knowing how much timing to put in and take out.........

Wanna know? Come to the seminar at Jotech on June 21-22 and find out!

Or then again, you could always put an Autronic on your car, and I'd tell you for free! haha
-Ben
Old 04-16-2003, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (EFIGUY)

I taught him all he knows
Autronic has Motec beat and it is at a price everyone can afford
Old 04-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, I think I want one....
Old 04-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why would you want to do this?
Old 04-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (SiRkid)

Just thought it would be a nice way to say thanks for those who take the time and effort to come all the way out to our technical seminar. Plus, why not sell a few units and make some money that you wouldn't have otherwise made?
Old 04-16-2003, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (EFIGUY)

I'm in then...I guess I'll just break-in my car on Chipped ECU and AFC till June

Suprdave
Old 04-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (Suprdave)

Superdave, if you've already paid your enrollment fee for the class you can use your discount whenever you like...no need to wait till june!
-Ben
Old 04-17-2003, 07:15 AM

Yes, it can be done.

But it's so much easier with a IAC though.

720cc w/o an IAC here. Idle is at 900rpm
Old 04-17-2003, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (ekb18c)

I guess I'd have to disagree....
But that's ok...I have customers tell me I'm wrong all the time and they are eventually made believers.

Most people think an IAC is easier because all the real work has already been done for them, and all you have to do is put in a desired RPM.

Try actually setting up the control range,step values, parked location, minimum opening points, stall settings, dynamic compensation values, rate, and gain for an IAC and I think you'd see it my way too.

Don't take it the wrong way, I don't want to start an argument, but I just want to clarify why I feel the way I d
-Ben
Old 04-17-2003, 07:47 AM

How exactly are you taking the IAC off the car or out of the equation?
Old 04-17-2003, 08:01 AM

No offense taken. To each their own.

Everyone has different insights on different things thats why this board is so great.

Old 04-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Art, Im currently working on trying to use the stupid AIC with the EMS now. But Im now thinking of ditching it since its suck a PITA when mounted external to the intake manifold--i have the venom sheetmetal.
Just yesterday I was playing around with the car by installing a GM 3bar that we calibrated and also playing with the Accel/Decel fuel. Needles to say the friggin IAC wasnt helping out cause its one big vacuum leak when not plumbed into both sides of the throttle plate--i currently only have the backside of the IAC plumbled into the plenum. Also when used like this is throws anything off that is T'd off its vacuum line---took 20 min. yesterday to figure out the map sensor was acting weird cause of this.
Let me know how you workid around this.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EFIGUY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Most people think an IAC is easier because all the real work has already been done for them, and all you have to do is put in a desired RPM.

Try actually setting up the control range,step values, parked location, minimum opening points, stall settings, dynamic compensation values, rate, and gain for an IAC and I think you'd see it my way too.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey Ben, stop tuning those damn Toyotas!! We dont have stepper type IAC's, we use pulsewidth actuated AIC's...
Old 04-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (ekb18c)

Ha HA!
GM cars use stepper motors too! lol
I don't like any of them!
Old 09-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for Art...
Old 09-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (tony1)

ohhh ****, u too.....

still best to date is chris' flaming exhaust thread, icing on the darkmeat cake...
Old 09-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (TurboDANDEE)

I have been having issues with a crapped out IACV, so I just left it plugged in and removed it from the system. 1600 injectors and no IACV here at 1200 rpms with Hyndiata.

JAson
Old 09-29-2004, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why do you guys keep bumping up the archived? I'm guessing it's just to make all ur friends look stupid? Either way it's still funny.. . .
Old 09-30-2004, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone? (m R g S r)

Quick Reply: Is it possible to idle the car without IACV and stand alone?