Notices

Plotting compressor maps. WTF am i doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plotting compressor maps. WTF am i doing wrong?

Hey all,

I have been trying to figure out which trim T3/T043 to order. I went to ray halls site, and tried out thier compressor calculator thing. Here are a few samples: WTF? What am i doing wrong, or are these plots right? I mean it seems like everyone says to run a t3/t04e, but from the plots the T3 60 trim seems to be a better choice??

T3 60 trim

T04e 50 trim

T04e 60 trim

Modified by WebGeek at 7:53 PM 11/5/2003

Modified by WebGeek at 7:55 PM 11/5/2003

Modified by WebGeek at 3:23 PM 11/12/2003
Old 11-05-2003, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plotting compressor maps. WTF am i doing wrong? (WebGeek)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=142398
Old 11-05-2003, 04:54 PM

i already have that bookmarked, thats not what I am asking.. i know how to read a compressor map, i edited my post to relect more of what i am askin
Old 11-05-2003, 05:10 PM

Default Re: (WebGeek)

It looks like you are running only 7 psi. The bigger turbos turbos haven't even started to breathe yet at that boost level. If you're only planning on running 7 psi, then a T3 would be more suitable. However, you must think in terms of your horsepower goal before anything. Boost level indicates nothing unless you specify the turbo size.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:16 PM
Banned

Default Re: (danl)

I just saw some of your #'s you plugged in. On most stock honda b series motors VE is close to 100%. On stock d series you're looking at 90% and getting close to 95-100% with a cam and cleaning up of the castings little. Of course the VE doesen't get to those numbers till higher in teh rpm band, but thats where your calculations should be, as that is when the turbo is spooling. Also, the temperature is in degrees CELCIUS not farenheight. 80 degrees C is smoking hot!

EDIT: I just plugged in some better numbers for you.

The t3 super 60 wheel would work fairly well but will be lacking in top range pull. THe midrange would be exciting though. That turbo would probably work well with a .63 ar exhasut housing. It won't work well if you boost more tha 7 psi though.

For more top end punch, and the ability to run more boost look into the TO4E family. The 54 trim is lookingn really spiffy and should totally rock once you spool! It should also give you some room to grow HP and boost wise.

EDIT: I change your VE to 100% everywhere (its an approximation, I know its not accurate at 3500rpm's, fudge if you want to). I changed the air temp to 30 degrees C. Make sure you have intercooler selected, not water to air. Both intercooler and comperssor efficiencies to 70%. I kept boost to 7 psi at all rpm points, but knocked it down to 5 psi at 3500rpm's.

Modified by danl at 6:32 PM 11/5/2003
Old 11-05-2003, 05:56 PM

Default Re: (danl)

opps! I missed the part about C and F! Anywho, the way I came up with the VE was with Sonnys help:

Sonnyballz: To get VE, look at the dyno of a relatively stock B16A
Sonnyballz: Where the torque peaks, that is 100% VE
Sonnyballz: Then look at the RPMs listed and determine VE there by using a fraction
Sonnyballz: Ie, at 7000 rpm, torque peaks at 110
Sonnyballz: At 5000 rpm, torque is 100 ft-lb
Sonnyballz: 7000 rpm would be your 100%
Sonnyballz: 5000 rpm would be 90%
Sonnyballz: The 3500 rpm number will be lower

So I took a stock B16 dyno and did the approximations

Also, you say that since I am only boosting 7 psi then i should look to a t3.. well 7 psi on the t3 isnt crap compared to the t04e, there is a lot more CFM with the t04e. Also, dont drag kits run 7psi and use a t3/t04e?
Old 11-05-2003, 06:05 PM

Why do you have 60 in all the compressor efficiency boxes? That's the reason the graph is right there.

Otherwise, your numbers look fine.

At only 7 psi, all of those wheels you have up there are HUGE. You need like....a T-25.

At this point, you're discovering that everyone runs turbos that are about eleventy billion times too big.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Banned

Turbos surge at low lbs/min of flow. Will you actually be making significant boost at 50lbs/min
Old 11-05-2003, 06:24 PM

Default Re: (kpt4321)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kpt4321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do you have 60 in all the compressor efficiency boxes? That's the reason the graph is right there.

Otherwise, your numbers look fine.

At only 7 psi, all of those wheels you have up there are HUGE. You need like....a T-25.

At this point, you're discovering that everyone runs turbos that are about eleventy billion times too big.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I put 60 in there cause it wont calc without a number, and it says to use between 60-70. I guess u are right about the over sized turbos everyone is running. I put in 10 and 12 psi, and it got a lil better, but at 15-30 pwi it got a lot better. WTF? Liek i can run 30 psi on a stock block! So perhaps even the 50 trim is waaaay to big? I mean i only thru 7 as a number. My goal is 300whp, so according to those graphs I have to boost 15 psi??? i dont think so.. hell, that B16 with the precision SC61 just did over 300 whp with 8.5:1 compression with 10 psi
Old 11-05-2003, 06:51 PM

i give up.. again..

I tried to figure this all out last winter, and gave up outta frustration.. i am doing it again.. i am just going to get the 50 trim t3/t04e and be done with it
Old 11-06-2003, 05:59 AM

I'm glad you plotted the dyno charts, found out that the 50 trim was too big, and then decided to get it anyway.

If you're going to make crappy decisions, you might as well not do research before them.

You're not supposed to just put 60 in the compressor efficiency fields...do you even know how to read a compressor map? The entire point of a compressor map is for you to plot out airflow and boost and GET BACK compressor efficiency.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:19 AM

Man I researched the hell out of compressor housings before finnaly buying one and I couldnt ever get anything straight for low psi. I had a 50trim t3/t4 on my last integra and it worked great. I dont see a reason you cant go with that.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:22 AM

With the numbers you used your only making 200hp.. that t3 IS the right turbo for you.. There is no reason for you to run a hybrid.. If you put a super 60 t3 on your car will run great.. Now if you decide to up the power and get close to or above 300 its going to be too small. Decide what you want and go from there. People tend to go with turbos that are just too big.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Overblown-Teg)

anyone have a compressor map for a sc61?
Old 11-06-2003, 06:40 AM

Default Re: (JDogg)

you can find it at the garretgt site.. I forget the address.. I beleive there is a link of the precision page.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kpt4321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm glad you plotted the dyno charts, found out that the 50 trim was too big, and then decided to get it anyway. If you're going to make crappy decisions, you might as well not do research before them.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm... My whp goal is 300. The 7 psi was just a lowball number when i first started plotting the maps. This is not a crappy decision. Several very knowledgable people have suggested this turbo for my needs. I just wanted to plot the map and see why its the best for my needs. Just cause you come in here and say its too big, doesnt make me even think of second guessing all the others who have proven themselves knowledgable.

Furthermore, i didnt find out it was too big. What I did find out is that the 57 trim that comes standard is a lil on the big side, and I also learned its nearly impossible to ACCURATELY plot a compressor map without going a lot more in depth. All you can really get is ballpark figures, in real life things arent always the same as they appear on paper.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just for drill, take a look at http://www.gnttype.org/techare....html ...go to the bottom of the page, read the summary first, and check out the spreadsheet calculator.

as you pointed out earlier, that ray hall calculator won't work unless you manually plug in the efficiency ratings of the compressor for various engine rpms.

imho, that is indeed the kind of info that should be calculated for you, since you are giving the calculator engine displacement and multiple volumetric efficiency ratings.

the problem is knowing exactly how the engine's volumetric efficiency varies with rpm's... otherwise, it's simply guesswork for everything but the v.e. at max rpm.

for best results, you should calc v.e. manually... with complete flow numbers for your heads, various cam profiles, etc., you could plug data into desktop dyno... after which you would have pretty accurate cfm and v.e. #'s for various engine rpm points.

surely there are honda people who can provide full headflow numbers? where are the desktop dyno headflow files? there should be a honda repository of those numbers, similar to what i provide for the vw guys.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:57 PM

man, this is honda-tech. good luck finding ANYONE here who knows how to properly plot a compressor map.. there are like 5 people.
i remember you from RKO. i know you know your ****.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:08 PM

Default Re: (Overblown-Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Overblown-Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With the numbers you used your only making 200hp.. that t3 IS the right turbo for you.. There is no reason for you to run a hybrid.. If you put a super 60 t3 on your car will run great.. Now if you decide to up the power and get close to or above 300 its going to be too small. Decide what you want and go from there. People tend to go with turbos that are just too big.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you look at my other posts, u will notice that I just threw the 7 psi number out there. My actual goal is 300 whp. Which makes this turbo about right. Then, if i ever do build the bottom end (read: when i blow my motor, and build it lol) then i can up the boost and really be in a great effieciency range for this turbo. The 50 trim has a very wide range vs some of the other trims available, which is why it was reccomended to me by others.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:12 PM

Default Re: (danimal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danimal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as you pointed out earlier, that ray hall calculator won't work unless you manually plug in the efficiency ratings of the compressor for various engine rpms.

imho, that is indeed the kind of info that should be calculated for you, since you are giving the calculator engine displacement and multiple volumetric efficiency ratings.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those were my thoughts exactly. I mean I am going there trying to see which compressor trim would be the most efficient for my setup, then they ask me the input the efficiency? :confused

the problem is knowing exactly how the engine's volumetric efficiency varies with rpm's... otherwise, it's simply guesswork for everything but the v.e. at max rpm.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danimal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for best results, you should calc v.e. manually... with complete flow numbers for your heads, various cam profiles, etc., you could plug data into desktop dyno... after which you would have pretty accurate cfm and v.e. #'s for various engine rpm points.

surely there are honda people who can provide full headflow numbers? where are the desktop dyno headflow files? there should be a honda repository of those numbers, similar to what i provide for the vw guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would love to get that info so I could accurately do this.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hope you have one of these motors:

http://www.importinsideronline.com/jeff_f.html

if you have a b16a, email those guys and find out what inches of water they used to get those numbers... cfm #'s are worthless without it.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/v...ber=2

there is a b16@10" of water... i met joe at a race in texas last year, he showed me what i believe was the f20c head... it flowed incredibly well... hence the 240hp from 2000 cc's.

next you'll need your full cam specs... seat-to-seat #'s preferred.

i can't believe that nobody does dtd for hondas... maybe the vtec thing throws off the dtd calcs.

Old 11-12-2003, 08:30 AM

I've never quite understood why people go with such large compressors on Hondas when they have relatively low goals. That isn't a flame. I really want to know why.

At 7psi (yes, I know it was just a guess), you aren't even into the meat of the compressor map. You will never see max efficiency at that low of a boost level. And on top of this, you will end up with some pretty horrendous lag.

I'm not saying that what I do is any better since I am at the other extreme of the map, but it sure makes for a fun car. I have an Evo III Big 16G on my DSM with HKS 264 cams. In 3rd gear, if I floor the gas at 2000RPMs, the turbo spools up to 21psi by 3300RPM, and I can rev it out to 7750RPM, which is a pretty damn good torque band. At the track, I can turn the boost up to 26psi and get 44.1lbs/min of flow (measured by a datalogger) out of the relatively tiny compressor. Good enough for 118mph in the 1/4 in a 3350lb car. Supposedly that boost level and flow are off the 16G map, but it sure does put up the numbers, so perhaps efficiency isn't all it is cracked up to be.

Obviously those sorts of boost levels wouldn't work on a stock Honda engine. But jeez, go with a smaller compressor and get spool down by a couple thousand RPMs. I doubt you will lose any power, and it will make the car a lot more torquey down low.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Plotting compressor maps. WTF am i doing wrong? (ShapeGSX)

well, I am not going to be ruinning 7 psi, and just to make sure everyone can see it: I WILL BE RUNNING WHATEVER PSI IT TAKES TO HIT 300WHP...

I put 7psi in there as a number the first time. I think the drag kits run 7psi, so i threw that number out there to see where that would get me. Now, eventually I will build the motor, and run higher boost, or, as my tuning capabilites get better, I might crank it up. Once the motor is built, i will run higher PSI. I dont want to have to buy another turbo down the road. I would like to get one that will work well for now, and work really well once I build the motor.

This is NOT a drag car. I have never been to a strip, nor do I really intend to. I just want a fun, responsive, and streetable car. I will be running 17" wheels and street tires full time, not 15" with some stickies. If I get a smaller turbo, I am worried that I wont be able to hook up, and with the bigger turbo, the lag will help with traction.

From the looks of it, the 46 trim or 50 trim would work, as well as a T3 Super 60. However, I dont trust those graphs cause I dont understand why it asks me to input the compressor effiecency.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Listen:

This "lag will help with traction argument" is getting old really fast.
Lag sucks. Lag is the result of an incorrectly sized turbocharger. If you are not going to the strip and you are not going to race every day on slicks, then you are buying the wrong turbo...

From what you just described, you want a greddy turbo kit or eqivalent. You can easily hit 300hp w/ that turbo (greddy) AND have a respectable power band. If your not using the turbo to it's potential, your wasting your money.

This lag=traction excuse is stupid. Let off the ******* gas. Learn to launch / moderate the throttle. How do you think guys with supercharged v8's do it? those ******* things will break the tires loose in 1st gear anywhere. Too much power is a stupid excuse. You want your car to make LESS power so it has more traction? BAH. Have it make maximum power EVERYWHERE, learn how to drive the ******* thing, and when you do finally go to the track and get a set of slicks on, you'll be having more fun.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:43 AM

dude, settle down! I havent ever had a turbo car before. I am only going off what I read here. No reason to get all pissed off and start swearing.

Anywho, I do not want to use a greddy turbo, the manifold I will be using is for a T3. My 300whp goal is only for now.. once I build the motor I will prolly get the bug and want more power. I dont want to have to buy another turbo once I do this. I understand what everyone is saying about too big of a turbo, but I feel like no one is reading what I am writting, and just going off on me about it.

Quick Reply: Plotting compressor maps. WTF am i doing wrong?