Notices

Please share your experiences/suggestions regarding these FMIC options!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please share your experiences/suggestions regarding these FMIC options!

Well, I thought I had a solid plan of what I was going to use on my approx. 300-350 HP build, but when I started looking at the best approach to installing the intercooler (I already bought and have) I decided that I might well do better with a different style. . .

So, if you could please let me know what you know about these standard 6" high under-bumper FMICs, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to spend extra money for nothing, but if the cheap one is crap (for a functional reason, not just because it's cheap please), then I'll spend the extra money. Also, if there is another better option that I haven't considered, please tell me!

Option 1 ($230 total or so I suppose), Treadstone TR6:
http://www.treadstoneperforman...ooler

Option 2 ($83 total) CX Racing eBay special:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...86.m7

Or, Option 3 I suppose, Precision 350HP Intercooler ($265 shipped--Good price, right?!?!)

Thanks in advance for your opinions and reasoning behind them! ! ! !
Old 08-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please share your experiences/suggestions regarding these FMIC options! (Tjabo)

Okay, one more to add to the list, which I'm thinking might be the same part as the Treadstone, but lower price: Vecco BM6 >> http://www.vecco.com/products....thumb

And it looks like I was a little high on my Precision 350 HP price, I see them for $250 shipped from a Honda-Tech vendor (can't remember which one right off hand, it was one I hadn't dealt with before).

Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please share your experiences/suggestions regarding these FMIC options! (Tjabo)

i'm running the treadstone TR8 intercooler sorry for super dirty pics(bumpers been repainted since) NOTE this was from intercooler mock up car wasnt boosted yet thats the reason for no hose clamps

Old 08-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please share your experiences/suggestions regarding these FMIC options! (mitchell_2kSiR)

So you like that Treadstone then? It looks good.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Precision is ftw.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rickdrizzle)

i like the vecco vertical flow one seriously though just get the largest core you can fit.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:53 PM

Default Re: (blinx9900)

Theres a IC test floating around somewhere. They tested the Ebay FMIC against a name brand one (precision,greddy, ect..) and the Ebay IC had IAT temps like 40* + hotter than the brand name FMIC.

That should make up your mind right there, gotta pay to play (well, unless you want EBAY **** on your car?)
Old 08-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slowteg90)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowteg90 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theres a IC test floating around somewhere. They tested the Ebay FMIC against a name brand one (precision,greddy, ect..) and the Ebay IC had IAT temps like 40* + hotter than the brand name FMIC.

That should make up your mind right there, gotta pay to play (well, unless you want EBAY **** on your car?)</TD></TR></TABLE>

well then again its also what your looking for. 40 degrees, but saving 2-300? it all comes to mind.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, i remember paying 180 for a johnny racecar 8in, anodized black just a couple years ago.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slowteg90)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowteg90 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theres a IC test floating around somewhere. They tested the Ebay FMIC against a name brand one (precision,greddy, ect..) and the Ebay IC had IAT temps like 40* + hotter than the brand name FMIC.

That should make up your mind right there, gotta pay to play (well, unless you want EBAY **** on your car?)</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'd like to see that test if anyone can find it. I'd pay the price for a Precision for that reason.

Are the Treadstone and Vecco ones "good" quality or eBay crap? They look pretty good. . . .

Thanks for the info and discussion so far! ! !
Old 08-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tjabo)

Check out the classifieds. Im pretty sure you'll be able to find a used Precision for a good price.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eh3 93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eh3 93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check out the classifieds. Im pretty sure you'll be able to find a used Precision for a good price.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 i picked up my Apexi GT spec for under $400!!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i like the vecco vertical flow one seriously though just get the largest core you can fit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha. wow. yeah do what he said. how about you look at what power level youre trying to make. and buy a precision. an ebay intercooler that is bigger than a dual core radiator isnt going to make your car have lower iats. its just stupid. and you have to hack the hell out of your bumper for nothing. get a precision. they have garrett cores. theyre really nice and work well.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AdamB18C1EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AdamB18C1EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha. wow. yeah do what he said. how about you look at what power level youre trying to make. and buy a precision. an ebay intercooler that is bigger than a dual core radiator isnt going to make your car have lower iats. its just stupid. and you have to hack the hell out of your bumper for nothing. get a precision. they have garrett cores. theyre really nice and work well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not even going get into the fact that i have been doing this honda thing since before you had a drivers license, surface area IS important when choosing an intercooler and if your going to be picking a piece of **** no name core i would at least get the largest core you can fit, something like 30x10x3 just in case the intercooler is not that good hopefully the surface area will help a bit.

most smaller units are not even good for 300+whp, i had a PWR 30x6x3 and at 15psi i had 155 degree IAT's on a 60degree day! switched to an Apexi GT spec 30x11x3 and now im at 110 IAT regardless of ambient temps! So before you go talking smack that a larger core wont help do some research or at lease try and speak from experience.

You have no idea how sluggish a car feels with 155+ degree IAT. I don't know how the JRSC guys do it...
Old 08-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm not even going get into the fact that i have been doing this honda thing since before you had a drivers license, surface area IS important when choosing an intercooler and if your going to be picking a piece of **** no name core i would at least get the largest core you can fit, something like 30x10x3 just in case the intercooler is not that good hopefully the surface area will help a bit.

most smaller units are not even good for 300+whp, i had a PWR 30x6x3 and at 15psi i had 155 degree IAT's on a 60degree day! switched to an Apexi GT spec 30x11x3 and now im at 110 IAT regardless of ambient temps! So before you go talking smack that a larger core wont help do some research or at lease try and speak from experience.

You have no idea how sluggish a car feels with 155+ degree IAT. I don't know how the JRSC guys do it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wasnt making fun of you personally. but people who buy ebay intercoolers usually think hey ill get the biggest one i can find and since it says on the auction it supports 2000whp it will be fine for my honda. i personally only have experience with garrett core intercoolers. but if the OPs only gonna make 250whp its kinda stupid for him to go buy an intercooler like a precision 750...see what im saying?
Old 08-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright guys, thanks again for the input!

So people have confirmed that the Precisions have good quality cores, and work very efficiently. I'm only shooting for a max of around 350 on my current build, and maybe 400 or a little more later, so I think a nice compact Precision 350 might be the right way to go then.

One thing I'm not sure of at this point is whether the Treadstone and Vecco, both of which should fit pretty well in the space I have available, are any good or not as far as getting the IATs down like an intercooler is supposed to. Does anyone know? They're both a little bigger cores than the Precision 350, and the price is probably about what I could get a used Precision for. Anyone know? ? ? ?

Thanks ! ! ! !
Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tjabo)

Go with the Precision and call it a day. They use a Garrett core which have been proven already.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get the Precision 350.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would like to see a study made on this. I cant understand how name brand can cool that much better than a ebay one. Its a tude with fins made from alum. What do they use a better alloy of alum or something? My ebay one is working perfect hotside is hot as hell and the cold side is as cool as the air outside? Works for me.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Under_Pressure)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Under_Pressure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would like to see a study made on this. I cant understand how name brand can cool that much better than a ebay one. Its a tude with fins made from alum. What do they use a better alloy of alum or something? My ebay one is working perfect hotside is hot as hell and the cold side is as cool as the air outside? Works for me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the precision one.

That's en ebay one.

Which one do you think would keep the IAT's lower?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW and to add fuel to the fire... Im using a XSPOWER chinese FMIC (30x12x3 core w/ 3" outlet / cusdtom Backdoor tank w 2.5 inlet) that I custom backdoored on the drivers side...

Theres about 8" of 2.5 IC piping from the PT6176SP to the cold tank (to which the BOV is also attached), and 3" Cold side piping from the tank to the IM.

Im making 630WHP on it and IATs never got above the looooow 80 degree mark on the dyno on a moderate day... To be fair we DID have a fan blowing directly onto it, but I was very happy. It has performed very well...
Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (extralargenog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by extralargenog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FWIW and to add fuel to the fire... Im using a XSPOWER chinese FMIC (30x12x3 core w/ 3" outlet / cusdtom Backdoor tank w 2.5 inlet) that I custom backdoored on the drivers side...

Theres about 8" of 2.5 IC piping from the PT6176SP to the cold tank (to which the BOV is also attached), and 3" Cold side piping from the tank to the IM.

Im making 630WHP on it and IATs never got above the looooow 80 degree mark on the dyno on a moderate day... To be fair we DID have a fan blowing directly onto it, but I was very happy. It has performed very well...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have pictures of inside the intercooler?

I'm not saying all intercoolers are crap, just the ones that are the same as the picture I showed.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont have pics of it internally, ill try and take some when i get home... Car is apart currently, so its no biggie. Im not saying the Chinese FMICS are the **** either here... Im just saying in my instance/experience its working VERY well for me. Actually I was going to buy a precision till a buddy of mine PROVED to me that his 600whp setup was hapy with his XSPOWER FMIC... His IATs were about the same as mine..

The precision and better cooling efficienacy ICs do it at an expense of pressure drop..... Theres more surface area for the air to scrub therefore making them cool "better", but at a cost of pressure drop from the resistance the increaced fins and **** pose.

Mine doesnt look as cheap as the EBAY one you posted... It has alot more fins in the core

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rickdrizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's the precision one.

That's en ebay one.

Which one do you think would keep the IAT's lower?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The precision, but with more drop. Depends on what youre really looking for IMO

Modified by extralargenog at 1:42 PM 8/4/2008
Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AdamB18C1EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i wasnt making fun of you personally. but people who buy ebay intercoolers usually think hey ill get the biggest one i can find and since it says on the auction it supports 2000whp it will be fine for my honda. i personally only have experience with garrett core intercoolers. but if the OPs only gonna make 250whp its kinda stupid for him to go buy an intercooler like a precision 750...see what im saying? </TD></TR></TABLE>

well that explains it, Garrett cores are some of the best, even there small units get the job done for most people but unfortunately most other units especially cheaper units just aren't as good OP wanted 300-350 and thats why i recommended if going ebay go big cause if it says it supports 600whp it probably will only work for 300whp cause there just not as efficient. I understand what your saying, for name brand you should get the proper size, but for knock offs i would go large
Old 08-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OP wanted 300-350 and thats why i recommended if going ebay </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just don't get the crappy ebay IC that I posted up.

Quick Reply: Please share your experiences/suggestions regarding these FMIC options!