Notices

PLEASE HELP: Honda ECU, what does it control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP: Honda ECU, what does it control?

Since many people here I assume have or do run standalone ECU's, I wanted to post here as well:

Are any of the following components controlled or require the ECU (specifically '94 accord)?
speedo (including all gauges in there)
alternator
abs
airbag system
cruise control

Since we're trying to completely remove the ECU and run a standalone, I'm stumped as to what I can actually keep of the luxury items.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: PLEASE HELP: Honda ECU, what does it control? (2000Accord5sp)

I'm only guessing but I would say everything you listed is controlled by the ecu.

When you get a standalone, all these components will still work. You do not have to get rid of anything.

Not trying to be a dick but it seems like you've been a member here for 5+ years, I don't think i need to mention the search function.

Y would you think you may have to remove some functions on the car because of a standalone????????
Old 06-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PLEASE HELP: Honda ECU, what does it control? (mike1114)

Sorry, let me give some background. Had a builder not only swap engines but build it so we switched to a 'standalone'. The original 'builder' just basically cut a bunch of wires under the dash...i'm not even sure how much work would be involved to try to piece the wires back together or where they went....just the question came up as to what the ECU actually controls.

So now that he screwed me all up and I had to take the car to another shop, it's come down to trying to figure out what actions we can take from here....rewire the dash back to stock (probably take a while) and then use the autronic to specifically control all engine items...

I guess I've never been able to have someone answer specifically what the ECU controls...when people switch to standalone, what is done for the ECU if it is left in as doesn't it have engine controls as well?

I don't pretend or say I undertsnad this aspect because I don't. I always assumed 'piggy' back systems go between the ECU and engine controls...but standalone meant that it completely takes over those controls....if the ECU is still there, what happens?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000Accord5psd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">speedo (including all gauges in there)
alternator
abs
airbag system
cruise control</TD></TR></TABLE>

Alternator controlls it self, it has the voltage regualtor built into it (I think). The Speedometer and the rest of the cluster are all fed off sensors off the motor, (i.e. Speedo off VSS on the tranny, Tach signal off the Distributor, etc etc). I also believe the ABS, Airbag system, and Cruise control all have their own seperate Control units. So, none of that stuff is controlled by the Ecu. Your best bet if he's hacked up wires would be to buy a new dash wiring harness, it would take a day to install but be much less of a headache than trying to piece the harness back together.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Y would you think you may have to remove some functions on the car because of a standalone????????</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PLEASE HELP: Honda ECU, what does it control? (Unsivil_audio)

yea, I've been thinking about that. Worth the money most likely. :S

I believe the alternator goes off of a light that triggers it isn't it?

Either way, I've wondered and searched and can't find anyone specifically explain how standalones work when the ECU is still in tact. I'm sure my builder knows this but I'm curious myself.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

piggybacks like hondata receive the signals the sensors send before they get to the ecu and change the values, then send them to the ecu so it thinks all is good.

A competent electrical guy will be able to re-wire the plugs that were cut off. I would suggest a helms as you can follow by color where the wires would go to.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">piggybacks like hondata receive the signals the sensors send before they get to the ecu and change the values, then send them to the ecu so it thinks all is good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would you call Hondata a piggyback? it's actually more like a standalone, it just uses stock parts. It's the same thing with similar setups such as Crome, Uberdata and Turboedit. The stock ECU still recieves data from the OEM sensors. With a datalog capable ECU you can read that data with a laptop too. With your wideband setup you see what your AFR is then you adjust fuel and timing as well as other things and send it to the ECU. A standalone is the same way, you just replace the stock ECU with a custom ECU, and in most cases custom sensors, and of course the program needed to interface with the custom ECU.

An example of a piggyback system is an SAFC or VAFC. The piggy back basically intercepts signals from the engine and sends a different signal to the ECU to modify the injector duration.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, I know how piggy backs work...what I wasn't sure of is how standalone ECU's set works with the stock ECU in place being that the stock ecu would be looking for all the original sensors that don't exist.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just fix your wiring so that it is like stock again. A standalone system will use the stock sensors and control all functions that the stock ECU did. You might have to change out a sensor or two, but whoever makes the standalone will be able to tell you what sensor you have to replace.