Notices

please help with a cracked wall question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help with a cracked wall question.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=594405

i would very much appreciate it.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:23 AM

Default Re: please help with a cracked wall question. (civictypenos)

pics

Old 08-17-2003, 12:03 PM

what do u need help with? the block is trash unless you sleeve it...
Old 08-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please help with a cracked wall question. (ArtOwnzMe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ArtOwnzMe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do u need help with? the block is trash unless you sleeve it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was going to write the same thing.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ArtOwnzMe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do u need help with? the block is trash unless you sleeve it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

you know this for sure?i mean,the inside cylinder sleeve is fine,its only the liner thats cracked?no damage at all to the cylinder sleeve.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:07 PM

sucks.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictypenos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you know this for sure?i mean,the inside cylinder sleeve is fine,its only the liner thats cracked?no damage at all to the cylinder sleeve.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well thats the cylinder with low compression right? Hmm, theres a crack in the sleeve and I have low compression, hmmm.... Even if it does hold, cracks tend to get bigger. What do u expect us to say? "Yah, you can drive on the cracked sleeve" or maybe "Just slap some JB weld on the biatch"? To fix it, throw it in the trash or get it sleeved.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:42 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Theres only one way to find out how long it will last with that crack there... If I were in your position, I might try running it as is just for the hell of it. Like you said the iron sleeve is still intact. If you run it keep us updated on how it goes.

Whether you run it or replace it, be glad sohc blocks are so cheap!
Old 08-17-2003, 05:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ArtOwnzMe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well thats the cylinder with low compression right? Hmm, theres a crack in the sleeve and I have low compression, hmmm.... Even if it does hold, cracks tend to get bigger. What do u expect us to say? "Yah, you can drive on the cracked sleeve" or maybe "Just slap some JB weld on the biatch"? To fix it, throw it in the trash or get it sleeved.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you understand,there is no crack in the actual sleeve,the crack is in the liner,the low compression came from the headgasket,there is not even a scratch in the sleeve.the crack in the liner is on the outside,its a crack from overheating,not detonation.

believe me,i know the block needs to be replaced for sure,i just need to get some more miles out of it first.i really would like comments fom someone whos actually seen a crack like this before and still used the block.no offense artownzme,but if you have never had hands on with some thing like this then stfu,thanx.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:50 PM

Default Re: please help with a cracked wall question. (mos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theres only one way to find out how long it will last with that crack there... If I were in your position, I might try running it as is just for the hell of it. Like you said the iron sleeve is still intact. If you run it keep us updated on how it goes.

Whether you run it or replace it, be glad sohc blocks are so cheap!</TD></TR></TABLE>

those are the plans,we ordered a copper headgasket for it,plus we already looking for anew motor,we will still run the cracked liner with 10 psi,we will see just how long it will last,lol.ill let you all know how it goes.

im guessing this a rare thing to happen,through all my searchs,i found one post with similar crack,but no usefull info.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ur a retard. listen to what everyone said, u asked for their opinions.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Re: please help with a cracked wall question. (rOby)

i am guessin it will last at a few months until winter, so in the wintertime you can rebuild@!

Oops your in Florida. I'd replace the block
Old 08-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please help with a cracked wall question. (si_mekanik)

Definatly replace it.

Rob
Old 08-17-2003, 07:22 PM

yes I udnerstand that the crack isnt on the inside of the sleeve, I can see thank you. Something fucked up happend cuz that crack is on the coolest part of the sleeve, and your head gasket blew in that area. That crack looks VERY long in that first pic.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:07 PM

resleeve the whole damn thing. you will be better off doing that or replacing the whole block. This isn't something you can just fix with any old replacement.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:16 AM

Default Re: please help with a cracked wall question. (rOby)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rOby &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ur a retard. listen to what everyone said, u asked for their opinions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im a retard?lol,i never asked for opinions,im asking for actual people who have seen this EXACT same crack and what they did about it.

by looking at the crack,i cant see why i could not replace the gasket,there is no crack at all on the inside of the cylinder wall. im completely aware that its not a good ideal to just throw a gasket in there and be done with it.

WE ARE GETTING A NEW MOTOR,possably one to build,i just wanted to hear from someone who has been through this and reused the block.i know the first thing to come from anyone is replace it!

the crack came from overheating it,not detonation.it had nothing to do with boost or timing,just plan and simple overheating.cuased by a bad headgasket and lack of water.

im not here to argue,id just like to hear from some one who has been in this sityation and could tell me the chances of it lasting.

the engine is recently boosted,id like to test the turbo out on the POS motor,then put in a half way decent (built) motor for a final motor.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you getting a whole new motor or just a block? because if you grenade a piston in the meantime you may be out a head also.

if you are getting a whole new motor and have nothing better to do with your time, do this:
1) get AAA
2) crank up boost to 2 bar but don't retune
3) go to the track and race it
when it blows, run it again
and again
and again
until they kick you off the track. try to get some cool pictures of rods through the block, crank 20 feet from the car, etc.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:42 AM

Default Re: please help with a cracked wall question. (trbob16a)

lol,sounds good.

yeah,we will be geting a whole motor.